Water leak on P5

heyitsrain

:
Protege5
I recently purchased my first car and my first P5 like a couple of months ago. But I just recently noticed that my car has a major water leak that leaks to the right front and back passenger floor board and on the trunk. Reently it has been raining hard as I was getting my things at the back and noticed that the water on the carpet is now really really wet. Its like someone spilled 5 litres of water into my car. Does/did anyone had this issue?

you may not be noticing it because it all ends up in the back, but check the spare tire well and the corners of the trunk for water. tail light leaks are VERY common. I just punched a couple 1/4" holes in the bottom for it to drain out

you may not be noticing it because it all ends up in the back, but check the spare tire well and the corners of the trunk for water. tail light leaks are VERY common. I just punched a couple 1/4" holes in the bottom for it to drain out

Also, around the gas cap. I think the little flaps in the lower rear are leaking on my cars.

lol never realized there were so many places for water to leak on these things. It's a good thing Mazda doesn't manufacture boats.

Also, around the gas cap. I think the little flaps in the lower rear are leaking on my cars.
The space behind the gas cap is actually in the wheel well covered by a plastic splash shield.The filler neck then goes down to the gas tank so any leak shouldn't get inside the car.My filler neck was rusty as hell so I made sure to point it out to the guys spraying my car to spray behind the shield.

Lots......windshield seal, sun roof drains or body seams or AC drains. Check those things if it isn't something more obvious.........and welcome aboard.

This thread covers some of them with links to other specific threads....................

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123803203-Passenger-side-water-leak/page1

thank you for the link, i think my leak is coming from the sunroof. Ill be tearing apart the healiner and carpet to see if it is from the sunroof

You shouldn't have to tear out the carpet and headliner to see if that's it. It's usually clogged in the top by dirt.

PArk the car with the front of the car lower than the rear. open the sunroof. use a cup of water and pour it into the track. The drain holes are at each corner and should drain freely out each, and you'll see the water exit under the vehicle. Then repeat for the rear.

If it's clogged up, generally it's just a leaf or stick or something at the top. you can remove it and all is well. Sometimes you have to blow some compressed air into the hole to dislodge whatever dirt has accumulated in there. That tray around the edge of it is to catch the water and channel it to those drain holes. When one (or more) are clogged, then essentially the tray will overflow, and the water will pour into the headliner, down the pillar and collect on the floor.

IF the drains are clear, there's a chance the hose has come disconnected from the sunroof tray. in which case, now is the time you'll have to pull the headliner. not terribly difficult, but not a fun job.

You WILL want to still pull out all the carpet regardless if it's that wet. Take it outside and set it upside down on a couple sawhorses or something in the sun for a day to dry out. once it is dry, spray it real good with bleach. Spray the metal flooring of the car real heavy with bleach as well. let that all dry out real well before you reassemble.

Also just hit me, check the evaporator drain hose. it will take 30 seconds. Just pull the carpet back on the passenger side floorboard from the front under the glovebox. IT should have a hose that will exit the AC unit under the dash, and the hose will route to drain the water outside the car. This is why there's always a big puddle of water under the car when the AC is running. If this hose is disconnected or pulled out of the floor grommet so it drains inside the car) it will dump a TON of water inside the car that accumulates very quickly. IF the hose (or inside of the evap box) is clogged, then the evap case itself will fill with water and eventually leak through the case seams since it cannot drain properly.

I'd still recommend pulling the carpet either way and clean it out so you don't get mold accumulation. Once mold starts to grow, it's a difficult job getting rid of the stink.

Back