Protege5 starting issues

Hey what's up peeps. I'm new to the board. I have a question. I bought a 2003 Mazda Protege5 in early July. I've been having problems with getting the car to start with more frequency. I've changed the car starter, replaced the ignition starter switch and replaced the ignition lock cylinder. The problem I'm having now is that I ALWAYS have to hit the "unlock" or combination of "Lock/Unlock" on the key fob in order to have the start up properly. Is there a way around this, where I just just unlock the door, put the key to the ignition, and have it start up without hassle or trouble? Thanks!

The key fob should have nothing to do with starting your car. It's a separate system.
(unless you've got a security system)

I haven't used my fob in years. I open the door with the key and then right in the ignition to start my car.

If you turn your key and nothing happens, (engine doesn't turn over) you may have a bad clutch switch (clutch must be pushed to start the car) or if you have an automatic transmission, your TR switch (transaxle range switch) may be out of adjustment.

Can you start your car in neutral?
Can you wiggle the shifter forward or back a bit to get it to turn over?

Here's a link to the factory service manual for download.

It tells you how to test and adjust the TR switch.

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

The key fob should have nothing to do with starting your car. It's a separate system.
(unless you've got a security system)

I haven't used my fob in years. I open the door with the key and then right in the ignition to start my car.

If you turn your key and nothing happens, (engine doesn't turn over) you may have a bad clutch switch (clutch must be pushed to start the car) or if you have an automatic transmission, your TR switch (transaxle range switch) may be out of adjustment.

Can you start your car in neutral?
Can you wiggle the shifter forward or back a bit to get it to turn over?

Here's a link to the factory service manual for download.

It tells you how to test and adjust the TR switch.

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

It is an automatic engine. When I get into the vehicle, put the key into the ignition and turn, sometimes nothing will happen. I will play around with the key fob, locking the doors and then unlocking the doors, and try starting the car again, and at the time it will work. I don't think it is the transaxle range switch. But thanks for the link for the service manual.

The transaxle range switch tells the ECU if it's in P or N and won't let the car start if it's in any other gear.
The switch can wear out or go out of alignment with age.

Sounds like an alarm issue.

Roll down the windows and lock the doors with the key fob. Wait 60 seconds, then reach inside the car through the window, lift the door lock plunger and open the door. If the horn starts honking and the lights start flashing, you've got an alarm that needs to bypassed.

I have a P5 right now that cranks all day but will not start, I originally changed the fuel pump because I didnt hear it priming but still no fuel, I swapped out the relay and still no fuel, pump is not getting power. Then I tried reading for codes and OBD doesnt even register doesnt read the car, my friend is leaning toward an ECU do you think this is all related? I also had Intermittened working car very rough idle when warm sometimes even shut off and the last symptom was the car would completely shut off loose power and then come back on for about two days before it died the same way and I just dont get fuel anymore

Back