Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

I don’t care for the Veloster. However the Elantra GT and Stinger are pretty nice IMO.

"You think I'm gonna let you roll in a Hyundai?" - Han

LOL. I kid I kid. The Stinger is a beauty though I wished Kia didn't use their Kia logo on it. Maybe put a different logo on it, like their KDM K logo.

LOL. I kid I kid. The Stinger is a beauty though I wished Kia didn't use their Kia logo on it. Maybe put a different logo on it, like their KDM K logo.

I dig the back story behind their grille designs, just don't like the execution. The Stinger is like a big tough dude with a baby face.

Yea the Kia branding is definitely the biggest problem with it. But over time those brand perceptions will change.

But for my money I’d probably buy an A/S5.

I kind of wish we were getting the i30 (Elantra GT) N version not the Veloster.

Yeah, that would be tough to say no to.

Yep. Even the Elantra GT Sport at $16k off the lot is mighty tempting. 201HP and a 6MT.

Dunno about $16k (certainly not up here in Canada) but I'm certainly going to give it a LONG look. Lack of an LSD with that much HP though I'm not real impressed with. Be even better if AWD was an option.

Dunno about $16k (certainly not up here in Canada) but I'm certainly going to give it a LONG look. Lack of an LSD with that much HP though I'm not real impressed with. Be even better if AWD was an option.

There are a few listed on Autotrader for that price, including this one.

Seems like great bang for the buck.

Obviously after the 2.0L in the 2019 3. Wouldn't be surprised to see it available as an upgrade in the EOL of this gen CX5 to boost outgoing sales in a 2-3 years. Hard to say if they'll introduce it in the 3 or not around the same time (or sooner). Have to think they'll need an engine upgrade available to help move higher trims by at least the 2nd year (2020) of the new 3.

A 3 with a 2.5L 'X' motor, AWD and a 6 speed would be pretty damn nice.... Even better if I could get that combo in a CX5 and twice as nice in a 6 wagon...even if it had to be 'Outbacked' to appeal with all the mouth breathers in N.A. (rlaugh)

2.5L X into CX-5 and 6 is a possibility... if they actually say a SkyActiv-X 2.5L is coming

I expect a detuned 2.5L X should run about 205-210 HP from the factory.

I'd say probably 210 upwards considering the 2.0X is reportedly somewhere between 187-190.

Need a larger gap between engines similar to current 2.0 (114KW/153HP) & 2.5 (138KW/185HP)

2.5L X into CX-5 and 6 is a possibility... if they actually say a SkyActiv-X 2.5L is coming

Given how Mazda works with constantly evolving new tech in to their cars, I have to assume so.

I expect a detuned 2.5L X should run about 205-210 HP from the factory.

IIRC, they were declaring 20-30% increases in both power and efficiency with the 'X' motors. Even sticking to the conservative end of the spectrum there of 20% - 185HP x 1.2 = 220HP.

Conservatively.

Yes please! (rockon)

Yea that would be nice in the CX-5 IMO. We would probably upgrade after a few years to make sure it’s solid.

Yea that would be nice in the CX-5 IMO. We would probably upgrade after a few years to make sure it’s solid.

I would consider it also in a few years time.

If they could also shave off a few kilograms in weight without making it noisier inside, that would be great too

I'd say probably 210 upwards considering the 2.0X is reportedly somewhere between 187-190.

Need a larger gap between engines similar to current 2.0 (114KW/153HP) & 2.5 (138KW/185HP)

Yeah my numbers are pretty conservative. The bottleneck isn't so much the output is can do but rather Mazda's ECU factory tuning. I mean 220 hp? Everyone's head here would explode.

I think the 2.0 x going in to replace the 2.5 or as upgrade is more likely which appears to be what they’re doing with the 3.

I think the 2.0 x going in to replace the 2.5 or as upgrade is more likely which appears to be what they’re doing with the 3.

2.0X may not be enough for a vehicle that weighs 1677KG (3697LBS)....

Back