1st Oil change: lessons learned, 2016 CX5 GT

So my free oil changes finally expired, my dealer offered 7 free oil changes ever 5k miles when I purchased my CX5. So it was scheduled to run out at 40k, Due to timing and various others things over the last 3 yrs I'm currently at 41.5k miles. So recently I decided to get my stuff together and change the oil before the family getaway long weekend coming up.

I read up on how to open the panel underneath and what to expect. I purchased 0W-20 synthetic MobileOne and a Purolator filter, local store only carried the red/basic filter, I ordered a premium Blue PL series for the next oil change from Amazon. The OEM filter was screwed on by a gorilla, I really like the location at the bottom of the motor compared to the gymnastics I had to perform on my last Protege5 and the full oil covered arm after each oil change. Having a Allen head bolt instead of a regular bolt was odd, but I muscled through it. I had difficulty getting the new filter on I finally used some force to press it on and learn the filter had a silicone valve that needed muscle to press on, then it screwed on fine.

I also learned that changing from fixed to flexible oil changes has to be done with the vehicle running, not in accessory mode, took me 15min to try that and it finally worked.

After 3yrs of not having to having to change my own oil made me soft, I hope to next oil change is much easier.

Last edited:
The way you described screwing on the filter didn’t sound right. You should not have to push anything.

Purolator filters have a bad rep over on BITOG. Lots of examples of filter media tearing. They used to be top notch but quality has gone downhill.

I would stick with OEM filters or the Mobil 1 EP M108A. I’m running the M1 at the moment with no issues. It screwed on easily.

Yeah I just stick with the OEM filters made in Thailand. They are $8 or $9 on amazon.

⋯ I read up on how to open the panel underneath and what to expect. I purchased 0W-20 synthetic MobileOne and a Purolator filter, local store only carried the red/basic filter, I ordered a premium Blue PL series for the next oil change from Amazon. The OEM filter was screwed on by a gorilla, I really like the location at the bottom of the motor compared to the gymnastics I had to perform on my last Protege5 and the full oil covered arm after each oil change. Having a Allen head bolt instead of a regular bolt was odd, but I muscled through it. I had difficulty getting the new filter on I finally used some force to press it on and learn the filter had a silicone valve that needed muscle to press on, then it screwed on fine.

I also learned that changing from fixed to flexible oil changes has to be done with the vehicle running, not in accessory mode, took me 15min to try that and it finally worked.
If you read through the following thread in How To section, you shouldn't be surprised by the 8mm Allen head drain plug. Like others have said, you shouldn't need any initial force to press on the oil filter, something was not right and I hope you didn't strip the thread. Check the possible leak in the oil filter gasket area to make sure. Which Purolator oil filter do you use? I also agree the quality of Purolator oil filters is not consistent like they used to be. SkyActiv-G has unique requirement on oil filter, a high-flow 11~14 PSI with no anti drain-back valve. The only aftermarket oil filter officially meets the specs is Wix 57002 or equivalents. Most people just use OEM oil filter as it isn't expensive anyway.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Yep definitely use Flexible oil change interval, but I usually change the oil early, at around 5,000~6,000 miles when it says 30% of oil life left.

Back