Charging via USB

LarryB78

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD + Tech
About a week in with my 2016.5 GT and loving it thus far...as a matter of convenience since the USB ports are up front and the cig charger is in the console I elected to just plug my phone into charge on the USB figuring this way it'll charge and I can play music off it at the same time through that input

What I'm noticing is that the charging is ungodly slow - today for example my battery was at 55% when I got in the car, 50 minutes later when I arrived home it was only at 71%, in my old car charging via the cig adapter I'd usually be in the mid 90s in a similar scenario

Curious if anyone else has observed this

Yes, give a search and you'll find a few more threads. Essentially, the USB ports don't allow enough juice to charge your device while you are using it (music or nav for example). You do get some positive charging if you are not using the device. Alternatively, you can go back to the 12v cig outlet in the center console but it's always on and now you have a cable draping across the stick area. I've gone to downloading a bunch of music to a 16GB USB stick and keeping a charge cable from the 12V in the center console. I wish there were a better way.

The USB ports adhere to the USB 2.0 standard which has a relatively low power amperage spec. On recent phones, this means slow charging or possibly no charging if you're using GPS and the screen. Use a cig adapter for more power delivery.

As more vehicles update to USB 3 and beyond, this will be less of an issue.

I'm happy with how the USB port charges my iPhone 6 the few times I've done it. It helps if the screen is off and you're playing music via Bluetooth. But I have used Nav on the phone while charging too. It didn't seem too slow and kept charging.

I've gone to downloading a bunch of music to a 16GB USB stick and keeping a charge cable from the 12V in the center console. I wish there were a better way.

Speaking of this, do you happen to know if there's a max capacity that can be used for a flash drive? I was going to spring for a 128gb but was concerned it might not be compatible

Speaking of this, do you happen to know if there's a max capacity that can be used for a flash drive? I was going to spring for a 128gb but was concerned it might not be compatible

I think that the limiting factor is that the flash drive needs to be formatted in FAT 32 to play in the CX-5 system and anything larger than 32 gb has to be formatted with something other than FAT 32.

About a week in with my 2016.5 GT and loving it thus far...as a matter of convenience since the USB ports are up front and the cig charger is in the console I elected to just plug my phone into charge on the USB figuring this way it'll charge and I can play music off it at the same time through that input

What I'm noticing is that the charging is ungodly slow - today for example my battery was at 55% when I got in the car, 50 minutes later when I arrived home it was only at 71%, in my old car charging via the cig adapter I'd usually be in the mid 90s in a similar scenario

Curious if anyone else has observed this

Larry, this is normal. While the USB port does put out 1.0A, and that could be used to charge some low drain devices, the USB are primarily there to allow DATA connection to the infotainment system.

If you need to CHARGE a device, you are best to use a CAR Adapter/Charger that inserts into the 12V outlet (CIG LIGHTER) This way you can supply the amperage needed to charge a phone or other device. 1.5-2.5A

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/scosche-revolt-usb-vehicle-charger-black/4215703.p?skuId=4215703&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=343f78db-3eb8-4758-935a-0f06e42dfc46&ksprof_id=10&ksaffcode=pg202533&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

4215703_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Last edited:
I picked up an aukey USB charger and retractable cord from Amazon. The charger is very small and allows the little cover inside the console to close when not in use. It also does not have one of those led indicator lights which is nice since it's always on and won't be draining the battery at all when the car isn't on. Not that it's a big deal as I doubt a little LED would drain the battery.

The one thing the USB port on my primitive CX-5 has going for it, is the lack of ground loop noise when using the AUX cable to play music.

I picked up an aukey USB charger and retractable cord from Amazon. The charger is very small and allows the little cover inside the console to close when not in use. It also does not have one of those led indicator lights which is nice since it's always on and won't be draining the battery at all when the car isn't on. Not that it's a big deal as I doubt a little LED would drain the battery.

Since the 12v port is always on, will a USB charger have a "vampire" drain even with no USB device connected? I've had no problems with the car sitting for 2-3 days while it was warmer out, but now that we're heading for more cold, I'd hate to find my battery dead...

Since the 12v port is always on, will a USB charger have a "vampire" drain even with no USB device connected? I've had no problems with the car sitting for 2-3 days while it was warmer out, but now that we're heading for more cold, I'd hate to find my battery dead...

The stock CX-5 battery is crappy (mine went out after just 3.5yrs) so the less strain you put on it the better. You can always try to pull your charger out a little bit when it's not in use.

I really like the "always on" 12V ports for charging phones/air pumps/ect. whiles camping.

With most chargers it's a very small drain. If you feel your charger getting warm to the touch with nothing charging, that means the drain is a excessive and you might want to find another charger.

The stock CX-5 battery is crappy (mine went out after just 3.5yrs) so the less strain you put on it the better. You can always try to pull your charger out a little bit when it's not in use.

I really like the "always on" 12V ports for charging phones/air pumps/ect. whiles camping.

With most chargers it's a very small drain. If you feel your charger getting warm to the touch with nothing charging, that means the drain is a excessive and you might want to find another charger.

3.5 years is nominal. It comes with a 3 year warranty. Of course, I'm in Texas where the heat is brutal on batteries and always replace at the 3 year mark.

It shouldn't as long as it doesn't have one of those LED indicator lights. I leave my usb thing in all the time and never have had a problem. The car sits for days at a times sometimes too.

Back