How well do floor liners keep dirt out of the carpet?

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
This is the first vehicle I've had with black carpet, and WOW does it get dirty quick!! Every little speck of dirt shows up like crazy on the black carpet and floor mats, and the car looks like it needs to be vacuumed just about every week. I'm looking into WeatherTech floor liners, not really for water/snow/mud protection, but really just to reduce (or eliminate?) dirt buildup on the black carpet. I've seen a few posts that show different brands of floor liners, comparing dead pedal coverage, lip at the gas pedal, etc. However I'm really just looking to keep regular everyday dirt buildup off the carpet. Would the WeatherTech's be a good buy or should I be looking at something different?

I hate all-black interior in our CX-5 and unfortunately that's the only color choice for Sonic Silver. This's our first vehicle with black interior too! I wouldn't get WeatherTech floor liners due to their high price and half-assed dead pedal coverage, not to mention the major flaw of missising lip at the base of the gas pedal. If you really want expensive floor liners, try to get Canadian Mazda OEM "Premium" floor liners. Otherwise OEM rubber all-weather floor mats serve us well for our CX-5. They're made of rubber and easy to wash and clean. But they're "floor mats" and they don't cover as thoroughly as those "floor liners".

OEM all weather mats vs. Weathertech

I'd say since you're not worried about snow and slush too much go with the Aries or 3D brand of floor liners. They are the company that made the CAD oem floor mats. I tried some and liked the way they fit but the lack of ANY lip at the base of the gas pedal turned me off of them. The weathertechs at least had a little something their and the dead pedal was a non-issue for me since I came up with a solution to get full coverage on that area. Anything you get, carpet mats, rubber mats or floor liners will need to be cleaned, the question is whether you want to vacuum them or hose them off?

I'd say since you're not worried about snow and slush too much go with the Aries or 3D brand of floor liners. They are the company that made the CAD oem floor mats. I tried some and liked the way they fit but the lack of ANY lip at the base of the gas pedal turned me off of them. The weathertechs at least had a little something their and the dead pedal was a non-issue for me since I came up with a solution to get full coverage on that area. Anything you get, carpet mats, rubber mats or floor liners will need to be cleaned, the question is whether you want to vacuum them or hose them off?

Yeah, I would rather shake/hose off floor liners and then not have to vacuum out dirt or debris ground into the carpet.

I got Husky floor mats from autoanything.com. Covers the deadpedal and the gas door opener. They sent a 20% off coupon using a throwaway email address.

Last edited:
I don't have to deal with snow nor a lot of rain. Sand and leaves mostly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Too lazy to cut vinyl and cover the whole carpet floor like I used to do with past cars. Got these ^ and called it a day. Cuts down on vacuuming and I wipe clean with a damp microfiber towel.

Last edited:
Back