Purchasing new tires from discount tires for my AWD cx-5. Which do you recommend?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hey guys,

So yesterday I drove over a box knife, which punctured my tire beyond repair. I'm at 13k miles and I can either buy one tire and have it shaved down or buy 4 new ones.

I'm opting towards 4 new ones because the stock tires would probably only have a good year left on them.

Discount tires offers the best prices, so I'll be purchasing from them. I'm looking to spend below $500 (w/ install).

Here is the list of their tires for the cx5 awd: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...=17&vid=029895&cs=225&sortBy=prca&exposed=qkf

Any recommendations? I guess the most important things for me are good gas mileage and quiet tires.

Cheers.

Thanks! I've been reading other posts and it looks like I'm leaning toward this tire. Looking like around $100 a tire? Do you know how much it would cost to take these to a shop to have them installed?

Discount Tire charges around $20 per tire which includes lifetime spin balancing.

You have a Discount Tire store in Eugene but they would probably have to special order the tires for you.

Last edited:
It looks like they have them on their website and in stock. Do you know if I purchase from their website, does that come with the full warranty/free flat repair,etc?

Don't forget Costco if you have a membership. They have one or the other of the Michelin/Bridgestones at $70 off a set typically. + they include the road-hazard in case you should ever have the slim chance of maybe running over a box knife or something...;)

So yesterday I drove over a box knife, which punctured my tire beyond repair. I'm at 13k miles and I can either buy one tire and have it shaved down or buy 4 new ones.
I'm opting towards 4 new ones because the stock tires would probably only have a good year left on them.

Any recommendations? I guess the most important things for me are good gas mileage and quiet tires.
I'd do the same thing dumping the OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A tires based on poor "280 B A" UTQG rating if I were you although you may still have a good 20,000 miles or more tread life left. Yeah I agree with madar General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H is the one for you. But make sure you get H-rated tire, not the T-rated as RT43 does offer both for the size! Discount Tire Store is also the one I use for tire service over Costco next door in our area. They have better tire changing and balancing machines. And they can get any tires you prefer even if it isn't on the website. If your local Discount Tire Store doesn't have General AltiMAX RT43 tire, let them order it. My Discount Tire also always matches the price from Costco or Tire Rack. ~$15(?) installation package per tire includes valve stem, life-time tire balancing、rotating、and flat repair. Like extended warranty, road hazard warranty is something I don't buy. Discount Tire Store also offers very convenient mileage warranty. Whenever my tires need replacement, usually is much less than mileage warranty offered, they automatically calculate the prorated credit for unused miles no questions asked, so I pay less for new set of tires! :)

If you didn't have similar problems before the tire replacement, I believe you have a defected Firestone Destination LE2 tire. But if you'd like to change to other tires, here are partial lists of 225/65R17 tires in different categories for your comparison. Personally I believe T-rated Continental CrossContact LX20 Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire is fine and should be much better than O.E. Yokohama Geolandar G91A Light Truck Highway All-Season tire. But since the top speed for our CX-5 is 120 mph, I'd stay with at least H-rated tires as T-rated tires are designed for the top speed of 118 mph.

Light Truck Highway All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Yokohama Geolandar G91AP225/65R17
100H
280 B A44 psi10/32"26 lbs.OEM - None$200.55
- TR
Michelin Defender LTX M/S225/65R17
102H
720 A A44 psi10.5/32"29 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$154.97
- TR
Firestone Destination LE2225/65R17
102H
520 A B44 psi12/32"28 lbs.60,000 Miles
5 Years
$125.45
- TR

Grand/Standard Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental TrueContact225/65R17
102T
800 A B44 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.90,000 Miles
6 Years
$113.56
- TR
General AltiMAX RT43225/65R17
102H
700 A A51 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$100.25
- TR

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
All Season Plus
225/65R17
102H
740 A A44 psi11/32"28 lbs.65,000 Miles$131.50
- TR
Continental CrossContact
LX20
225/65R17
102T
740 A B57 psi12/32"27.7 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$122.45
- TR

XL = Extra Load
TR = TireRack.com

Performance Category Rank from TireRack.com:

Highway All-Season Tires:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - #1 out of 32
Firestone Destination LE2 - #3 out of 32
Yokohama Geolandar G91A - #24 out of 32

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:
General AltiMAX RT43 - #5 out of 41

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:
Continental TrueContact - #1 out of 20

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus - #2 out of 21
Continental CrossContact LX20 - #5 out of 21

Maybe other tire retailers do this as well but is it true that Costco will give you pro-rated discount on all 4 tires if one is not repairable on an AWD vehicle?

Maybe other tire retailers do this as well but is it true that Costco will give you pro-rated discount on all 4 tires if one is not repairable on an AWD vehicle?
I believe all tire hazard warranty, including Costco's, covers only the one which got damaged. At least you can pay extra at other tire shop to get new replacement tire shaved.

Other than limited selection getting tires from Costco, the other thing is it usually will be a long wait, sometime over 3~4 hours, just to get free tire balancing and rotation. If you want to make an appointment, you can only choose weekdays in the afternoon. It'd be a lot less hassle and wait time while doing the same severce at my Discount Tire Store.

Years back one of the Michelin Primacy MXV4's on my Infiniti was taken out by road hazard. I passed on road hazard at the time since I bought tires at TireRack.

I picked up a new tire at Costco and rep said one of the advantages if tire hadn't been within 2/32 spec (new and old tires were within 1/32) and I needed all 4 they would all be pro-rated instead of just the non-repairable one. On old tires not such a big deal but on new ones this could save someone quite a bit if true.

At the time I just said good to know and maybe just bad info by the tech. I don't really see anything online to validate his statement so likely not true.

Firestone is only place in town that has availability for good tires. It's between the Destination LE2's and the Birdgestone Dueler H/L 422's.

I also can go with the HT-760 bravo or Road control NW3 at Les scwab.

Which do you guys think I should go with?

Last edited:
Firestone is only place in town that has availability for good tires. It's between the Destination LE2's and the Birdgestone Dueler H/L 422's.

I also can go with the HT-760 bravo or Road control NW3 at Les scwab.

Which do you guys think I should go with?
I'd still go to a local Discount Tire Store and have them ordered General AltiMAX RT43 225/65R17 102H tires if they don't have them in stock. They are recommended by many CX-5 owners here and the cost is $100 lower for a set. The rating at the Tire Rack is excellent and they're lighter and support 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

If you insist to get lower-rated and higher-priced Firestone or Bridgestone tires at a Firestone store, take your pick as they are essentially the same tire company anyway.

I have no comments on Maxxis Bravo HT-760 and Dean Road Control NW-3 tires... :)

Has anyone ordered from tirerack? I could have it arrive on Thursday...but I am a bit concerned about their warranty/service repairs.

If I went with them, I would be mssing out on the lifetime service discount tires offers right?

Thanks. I would love to, but there is no way I can wait over a week. I need to drive my car by thursday :/
From my experience the local Discount Tire Store can get tires not in stock within a day or two from their regional warehouse, or from another store. If you go through the Tire Rack, it'll take time to ship, and the expedited shipping charge is expensive for tires. I don't understand why you think go through Tire Rack would be faster than go though local Discount Tire Store? Have you actually talked to any of your local Discount Tire Stores checking what tires they can get for you before Thursday? You can compare them with the comparison tables I posted earlier and make your decision. And remember these local Discount Tire Stores normally are willing to match prices if the price is your concern.

Of course you still can go Firestone Store for these two tires if you prefer.

Has anyone ordered from tirerack? I could have it arrive on Thursday...but I am a bit concerned about their warranty/service repairs.

If I went with them, I would be mssing out on the lifetime service discount tires offers right?

Even without the lifetime warranty service which in my experience is top notch, they give you free balance/rotations for life of tires. If you have multiple DTs in your area, you have a larger pool for future stocked purchases. Not to mention if you get a puncture...free repair at your nearest location. I also highly recommend for any servicing/installs to schedule an appointment. They always have a long line upon opening their doors. With the appointment you skip that entire line.

I've ordered many many tires from tire rack. They are always delivered here in a day or two. The price on the Tire Rack site usually include your road hazard too, but I have never had to use the Tire Rack road hazard warranty yet, so I cannot vouch for the road hazard end.

Back