Cabin Pressure Headache

Thirded. Having been exposed to carbon monoxide while watching TV and playing video games on a laptop when I was maybe 15 in the vicinity of a malfunctioning/leaking furnace and developing a bad headache and fighting extremely hard to not pass out when I went upstairs all the while vision getting increasingly fuzzy like the old channel 3, it's definitely something I would want to rule out first. That crap is no joke.

How does the dealer check for this? And how do I know they are checking it properly?

You dont need to tell the dealer how to check for leaks. They know how to do that. Just tell them the symptoms youre experiencing and ask them to check for leaks and the vent allowing air out in case its blocked.

There are also kits you can buy at stores like Home Depot to detect carbon monoxide if you want to check it,out yourself. I have no idea how accurate they are and definitely recommend you get it checked out at the dealer.

Update: I kept the air on recirc on the way home from work (as suggested earlier). Problem virtually eliminated. The base (I turned it up) sounded good, no headache, no ear popping. Pulling into my neighborhood, I turned to fresh just to see and ears started to pop almost immediately, along with pressure in my head with the headache starting.

I wouldn't believe it if I read it from someone else but that's what's going on. Very strange. I will say it was great to drive with no weird headache etc...

Ironically, I've been a fresh air always on guy for the last 20+ years. Not sure what this all means but I guess the dealer will need to check because I'm not a fan of recirc.

Agreed.

I use recirc a lot. Filter can't get rid of all the stinky air when you get behind it.

That's one of the few times I'll use recirc, lol. I also use it if I need to heat the cabin quickly.

So, question for other 17/18 owners. Is this a byproduct of Mazda trying to seal out the noise? Do you have to give quite a bit more force to close the last door with the widows rolled up?

Yes

Yes, the last door is harder to close if everything else is sealed. The 2nd gen has double seals on the doors for acoustics.

Strange to me to hear the CX-5 called a truck. I guess I think of it as a car.

Yeah my coworker with a Nissan Xterra calls it a truck lol. I've seen lots of bigger SUVs call themselves that.

I call mine a car though. CX-5 is just a bigger jacked up 3.

At least with the Xterra, if you chopped it, it would look like a little pickup. Plus it probably doesn't drive nearly so nice and carlike as the CX-5, and it can tow 5,000 pounds.

Well my word! These vents are covered with the softest foam rubber flaps. I really cant see them sticking but if the were I can assure you you couldnt sit in the car. If youve got the bumper off and set the blower to slow, the amount of air that comes through them is unbelievable. On fast they blow a gale. The only way they could freeze shut is if the blower was not switched on and they were soaking wet. Highly unlikely.

Not sure why my last post is gone and I don't feel like typing it all over again. Basically just wondered if all 17+ owners notice the last door to close takes quite a bit more force (due to the seal of the car).

Well my word! These vents are covered with the softest foam rubber flaps. I really cant see them sticking but if the were I can assure you you couldnt sit in the car. If youve got the bumper off and set the blower to slow, the amount of air that comes through them is unbelievable. On fast they blow a gale. The only way they could freeze shut is if the blower was not switched on and they were soaking wet. Highly unlikely.

All I know is if all my windows are closed, when I'm in the car and I close the door my ears pop right away. If I drive on fresh air mode I quickly do not feel well and get a pretty bad headache. If driving in recirc mode, everything is fine. I'll take it to the dealer at some point to see if the flaps are stuck or tighter than usual.

Not sure why my last post is gone and I don't feel like typing it all over again. Basically just wondered if all 17+ owners notice the last door to close takes quite a bit more force (due to the seal of the car).

Not mine either.

Back