What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Wash and dry yesterday.

Today applied CQuart Dlux to all plastic trim, including the front wiper cowl.

This stuff is awesome and such a satisfying detailing job to do yourself. Easy to do, and impressive results. One year ago I applied it to the wheels, and they are still super easy to clean and continue to repel water very well. But I'll probably do the wheels again this summer -- it just makes me happy to do it, and I think officially they recommend re-application after 1 year.

I bought mine from my detailer, but you can get it from lots of places online including Amazon.
https://www.carpro-us.com/protection/cquartz-dlux-wheel-trim-coating-30ml-sky-kit/

Wash time here too. After the first light rain for ages covered it in shmoo, it got a snow foam and because Id got a couple of specs of tar, I removed those and topped up the Collinite. First photo shows for my eyes that the silver wheels work better than the pizzas.

IMG_4728.jpg

I know pressure washing inside the door shuts doesnt sit well with everybody but Ive done it for years and will continue to do so!

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4731.jpg

Soul Red Crystal looks fantastic but I must admit, this Sonic seems to be bullet proof (famous last words). After 2400 miles there isnt a stone chip or blemish on it.

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4733.jpg

IMG_4734.jpg

I normally pressure wash the engine bay a couple of times a year but I tried something a bit different as an interim measure. Compressed air with a blow gun and then wiped the bigger black surfaces with a damp cloth seemed to work quite nicely.

IMG_4729.jpg

Ill take one of the front and add it later.

Each to their own Anchorman. I love my pizza wheels (thumb)

Yes, I must admit, I originally did them that colour to go with the SRC, not knowing the silver would come along and had I have known, I might still have changed the colour but to more of a smoked graphite shade. I’m satisfied with the results though!

Yes, I must admit, I originally did them that colour to go with the SRC, not knowing the silver would come along and had I have known, I might still have changed the colour but to more of a smoked graphite shade. I’m satisfied with the results though!

And that is all that matters!

I’ve just finished the front of the car with Collinite. I always check the panels with the palm of my hand before waxing and wasn’t quite happy with the upper surface. After 3 months and 2400 miles, look what the clay brought off the bonnet (hood).

IMG_4738.jpg

Then the wax could go on. These views show just how well this silver has stood up. They’re busy dressing roads here (the spray tar then loose gravel clippings every summer) so it gets peppered every time I go to works. Lets hope it stays this way.

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

I find these cheap and cheerful wipes particularly good on the stone leather.

IMG_4744.jpg

I also washed and waxed the CX over the weekend, along with my Silverado. That's a LOT of wax on wax off!

I wanted to comment on the installation of the Mazda roof rails and crossbars that I did a short time ago (5/10/18). From what I've read here, and what common sense would dictate, FE numbers should go down with the rails and crossbars fitted. Last weekend I took the CX on the first long trip since the installation of the rails and bars. ~300 miles from Northern Illinois to Door County Wisconsin, and back of course. I have around 16k miles on the CX and I had the front crossbars in the most forward position and the rear in the rearmost position. Temps were in the mid 90s, AC was on, and my average speed for the trip was between 75 and 80 mph using cruise control.

Surprisingly my FE numbers actually increased! I got the best mpg on the CX ever, 31 mpg. I'm thinking that there might have been a slight tailwind for the trip up there but on the way back I saw 29 mpg under similar conditions.

Last edited:
Looks great, but the color looks like “root beer”. Too bad something like that is not offered (with a saddle brown leather interior!)

Yeah, the red doesn't pop in the photo. Hmmm... that would be an interesting color combination with a saddle brown leather interior. Something between the darkness of the black leather, and the lightness of the parchment.

I’ve just finished the front of the car with Collinite. I always check the panels with the palm of my hand before waxing and wasn’t quite happy with the upper surface. After 3 months and 2400 miles, look what the clay brought off the bonnet (hood).

IMG_4738.jpg

Then the wax could go on. These views show just how well this silver has stood up. They’re busy dressing roads here (the spray tar then loose gravel clippings every summer) so it gets peppered every time I go to works. Lets hope it stays this way.

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

I personally love the silver and love the parchment interior but you can't get both together in the USA (except on a CX-9). Would love to get that combination here.

Ive just finished the front of the car with Collinite. I always check the panels with the palm of my hand before waxing and wasnt quite happy with the upper surface. After 3 months and 2400 miles, look what the clay brought off the bonnet (hood).

IMG_4738.jpg

Then the wax could go on. These views show just how well this silver has stood up. Theyre busy dressing roads here (the spray tar then loose gravel clippings every summer) so it gets peppered every time I go to works. Lets hope it stays this way.

IMG_4739.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4744.jpg

I have the same color leather. Do those wipes leave a glossy or matte finish? I really like the way the matte finish looks from the factory.

Trick I use on the exterior black plastic:

1. Clay Bar

2. Dilute Collinite 845 with hot reverse osmosis water into a stray bottle. Spray and "rub clean" black plastic with disposable microfiber towel.

They’re busy dressing roads here (the spray tar then loose gravel clippings every summer) so it gets peppered every time I go to works.

We call that "chip sealing" over here. The least expensive way to resurface the roads, but the hardest on your car. I'll take an alternate route whenever I can.

We call that "chip sealing" over here. The least expensive way to resurface the roads, but the hardest on your car. I'll take an alternate route whenever I can.

God, they did that to the county road up in the mountains where I used to live. Chip sealing is absolutely the worse.

I feel your pain guys. That's the only way they choose to fix road imperfections/potholes in my city. Its unavoidable because they do it all over the city, and they do it all summer long.. there's no escaping it :(

Back