US Diesel's big splash introduction

Makes economic sense here if one does:

• Lots of freeway driving
  • Towing

It isn't a pure economic play, the diesel will drive better and have a much longer range. Those together are more important to me than the efficiency difference, although I admit the range is related.

Those figures are WAY OFF. Latest studies and stats show the car diesel sales in the USA are at 3% and dropping. (scratch)

I wish it wasn't but the CX5 diesel will be a disappointment in the USA. That's if it ever comes to the USA.

Just give the CX5 owners a turbo 2.5 gasoline and we will be happy with 310 FT.LBS of torque

3% overall does not = 3% CX5 sales.

It isn't a pure economic play, the diesel will drive better and have a much longer range. Those together are more important to me than the efficiency difference, although I admit the range is related.

For the extra cost of getting the diesel here ($3310) more, this does play a significant economic part

The 3% of US car sales that are diesel, and dropping to 2%, is somehow a great market plan?

Somehow people will also pay an extra $3,300 for a diesel vs a gas engine? Then add to it the cost of DEF and maintenance.

Mazda wanted to release the diesel 6 years ago. Something happened and it has been delayed in the USA. Since then the VW dieselgate happened. Now, the US market went from 3% down to 2% on diesel car sales. It's a dying market for the USA. Mazda didn't see that happening and has spent millions developing the diesel for the US market. Now, they can either count their losses and drop it or try and release it in the US market and see what happens.

I was one of those that was hoping and holding out for the CX5 diesel but after seeing all the debacle and issues with diesels, I changed my mind. I was just at a Ford dealer and a diesel truck had the particulate filter changed and some other emission stuff on the diesel truck. The dealership bill was $3,000. No thanks...

Last edited:
Those are not real world figures, I only see around 36mpg with my cx-5 brim to brim. not a lot more than the petrol.

OK.

So converting our figures (listed above) to US mpg:

2.2L diesel is 42.77mpg on the highway
2.5L gas is 36.75mpg on the highway

Those are not real world figures, I only see around 36mpg with my cx-5 brim to brim. not a lot more than the petrol.
Those are "official figures" and yes real figures would be off these.

I will say this though. In my experience with my petrol 6, I pretty much would on a fairly regular basis match or beat (not by much though) city and combined figures. Got very close to the highway figure but didn't reach it. Was going off MZD Connect information.

Last edited:
Since then the VW dieselgate happened. Now, the US market went from 3% down to 2% on diesel car sales. It's a dying market for the USA.

Dieselgate happend in September 2015. Mazda announced the CX5 diesel in December 2016. So, no.

A dying market. I guess that's why GM, Hyundai etc are introducing more diesels in to the market?

Because it's dying...

I'd imagine any drop in the last couple years has far more to do with a scarcity of available product than a drop in demand/desire.

Nobody's claiming it's a giant piece of the market but there clearly IS a market and a demand for smaller than full size truck diesels in North America. It's ok if you don't want one but you don't get to speak for everyone.

It looks like Mazda Canada took the CX-5 Diesel teaser off the front page of its website. So Mazda hints on their website that they are going to sell a model that is selling elsewhere in the world and then without announcement remove it from their website.

https://www.mazda.ca/

The longer this goes on with no updated news from corporate Mazda the more annoying this is getting. Remember they promised to give customers updated news if they registered on the Mazda website. It must be about 8 months since I signed up and have never received one update on the diesel model.

It looks like Mazda Canada took the CX-5 Diesel teaser off the front page of its website. So Mazda hints on their website that they are going to sell a model that is selling elsewhere in the world and then without announcement remove it from their website.

https://www.mazda.ca/

The longer this goes on with no updated news from corporate Mazda the more annoying this is getting. Remember they promised to give customers updated news if they registered on the Mazda website. It must be about 8 months since I signed up and have never received one update on the diesel model.

odd, and lame. i was wondering if it was a snafu that it went up in the first place, especially since they had removed the date from the US site about a year ago.

guess the new MNAO EVP of whatever isn't doing much if anything to change those empty promises they keep making.

from the original press release:

In this new role, Lievois will oversee sales, service and marketing, and sales operations for MNAO. In addition, he will continue to oversee financial planning, treasury, accounting, tax, administration and information technology. Specifically, he will be tasked with implementing a customer-centric approach that is innovative, forward thinking and technologically advanced in order to deliver a positive Mazda brand experience at every touchpoint along the companys customers journey from research through to ownership and back again to repurchase.

As the Mazda brand continues to evolve into a more premium position within the industry, its critical that we put our customers needs and expectations at the forefront of everything we do in order to deliver an outstanding experience, said Masahiro Moro, president and CEO, MNAO. Jims future vision, vast experience and respected leadership style make him the perfect candidate to be successful in this new role.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-north-american-operations-promotes-jim-lievois-executive-vice-president/

Last edited:
I still think Mazda has shifted focus to the SkyActiv X HCCI engine and is letting the diesel wither for the newer markets like US and Canada. There is too much negative press and everyone else is dropping their diesels.

Sad for those who wanted one but this VW scandal has really changed the markets.

Not to mention not really worth all the extra cost of making it compliant with US/Canada regulations for not that much more sales

Not to mention not really worth all the extra cost of making it compliant with US/Canada regulations for not that much more sales

I love how you guys think a 10% bump to their best selling vehicle is SOOO insignificant (rlaugh)

Well..1.5M/annum give or take globally so we're talking +15k(based on ~150k cx-5 NA sales)- that's assuming diesels won't replace cx5 gas sales which in my case it would- so optimistically like 1%, realistically .5 to .75% bump in sales. If they don't plan to roll it into other vehicles here I have to say it likely doesn't make financial sense but I think they should and I still want it..pretty bad I think.

Last edited:
I love how you guys think a 10% bump to their best selling vehicle is SOOO insignificant (rlaugh)

Don't think I ever said a 10% bump (happy to be corrected if I did)

Said the diesel sales won't add much to overall sales so cost of getting it to pass regs not that worth it.

But again how much of the water has gone under the bridge $ wise to make this happen as it stands..BRING IT ALREADY!!

Back