Tire Pressure

:
2016 and 2017 Grand Touring
I now have a 2016(9.000 miles) and a 2017 both Grand touring(love them both) with 19" tires. Just wondering what air pressure others are running. I am not looking for a soft ride.

Basically, how high can you go with no issues and/or alarms

Typically, if you go higher than the factory recommended spec, you'll get improved mileage while sacrificing traction and increasing the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.

Typically, if you go higher than the factory recommended spec, you'll get improved mileage while sacrificing traction and increasing the risk of tire, rim or suspension damage when you hit potholes or curbs.

...and wear out the tires' center, faster.

Just the opposite. Lower pressure increases those dangers.

Basically, how high can you go with no issues and/or alarms

Look on the side of the tires - the max. inflation pressure is listed there. Do NOT go any higher than that.

You will also want to note the date code. Do not use any tires older than 6 years from the date code, no matter how much tread is left. This is also a safety issue.

Date code is probably not an issue on a daily driver, but be sure you didn't pay for old tires.

Inflation pressures can varied to influence vehicle handling (e.g. for racing); traction in sand, etc; and gas mileage. The manf. puts an optimal number on the sticker based on what their lawyers tell their engineers...

Just the opposite. Lower pressure increases those dangers.

Yep, so does higher pressure. I didn't mention lower pressure because OP isn't asking about underinflating the tires.

Yep, so does higher pressure. I didn't mention lower pressure because OP isn't asking about underinflating the tires.

Not unless it's ridiculously high, too high to reasonably ride on. It's not an issue.

Hey, I think you should all go with the factory pressure that they come shipped with.
You know, around 55 psi or so.
I mean, the dealers don't lower it when they do their delivery inspections, so why should you......

Just experiment. You won't hurt anything. See what feels best to YOU on the roads YOU drive. Looking for a consensus here is like wrestling a greased pig. :)

I imagine the door plaque's stated 36psi presumes frequent highway travel at 70 mph or more. In my case my daily travel is is at much lower speeds including city stop and go but also about five kilometers of rough unpaved road. Because of the latter I am thinking of dropping to 34psi for slightly more comfort.

Not unless it's ridiculously high, too high to reasonably ride on. It's not an issue.

Your idea of "ridiculously high, too high to reasonably ride on" is not the same as everyone else's. That's why I didn't specify a particular psi. As you increase/decrease psi from the recommended spec, the risk of damage increases accordingly.

Back