US Diesel's big splash introduction

article said:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/giant-toyota-mazda-car-plant-100239180.html

"...This isn’t much of a surprise, as the EPA said in September (soon after Volkswagen’s emissions scandal was revealed to the public) that it would significantly intensify its testing procedures for all diesels in the U.S. This means comparing real-world and lab-generated emissions results, along with testing non-manufacturer-supplied test vehicles..." .

Interesting. How is it possible to test a pre-production vehicle that is "non-manufacturer-supplied"?

Also interesting..

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/giant-toyota-mazda-car-plant-100239180.html

Story within the story..Alexa coming to Toyota/Lexus..thought that was pretty cool.

I could say it myself due to various NDA, etc. but yes: I am personally involved w.r.t. Alexa/Echo and car automation. I'll try to obtain some permissions and share. All I can say right now - no: Mazda US is not interested whereas AU and EU (especially Russia and UK) are - Mazda, i.e.

I'm going to the Dallas Auto Show next month to look at the 2018 Mazda6 Signature. While I'm there, I'll ask about the diesel CX-5.

Also, you don't need to have to tow anything to consider getting a diesel. As stated previously in this thread, the better fuel mileage and low end torque should be good enough reasons to get one. When you're buying a car to daily drive, having lots of low end torque makes for a much better driving experience.

I'm going to the Dallas Auto Show next month to look at the 2018 Mazda6 Signature. While I'm there, I'll ask about the diesel CX-5.

Also, you don't need to have to tow anything to consider getting a diesel. As stated previously in this thread, the better fuel mileage and low end torque should be good enough reasons to get one. When you're buying a car to daily drive, having lots of low end torque makes for a much better driving experience.

Yes, I don't know why diesels are so much misunderstood in America. Meanwhile there is another story of BMW's new X3 diesel out in the wild as I consider my alternatives amid silence from Mazda.

http://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/bmw-x3-will-reportedly-gain-diesel.html

^^Oh shnizzle! If they bring the 3L diesel here in the X3 I'll be awfully tempted to pay their king's ransom(ugh)

Or this one..but preferably in the X1 please:

The engines will soon be joined by a new 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder diesel that produces 231 PS (169 kW) and 500 Nm (368 lb-ft) of torque. It is connected to an eight-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system which enables the model to accelerate from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 6.8 seconds.

Last edited:
I rented a 120d over in the UK for a couple weeks and I thought the old 2.0 diesel was somewhat agricultural compared to other modern diesels I've driven with similar displacement. Specifically, it seemed to have very heavy flywheel effect and was very slow revving. The specs you quoted for the new 2.0 diesel look pretty impressive though. Unfortunately, the X3 is out of consideration for me. The entry price for the X3 diesel will probably be close to $50k and when equipped to my liking it will probably be pushing $60k. I can't justify that kind of indulgence given where my retirement savings is at. Now, if I could get that engine in the X1 and keep it around $45k out the door, I might have been tempted.

But it looks like I'm out of the running for the CX-5 diesel, or any upcoming diesel for that matter. I got rear-ended in a multi-car pileup in late Nov and my insurance wanted to total my Subaru and give me a check for $2k. I wanted to continue driving it, but they insisted on a safety inspection and it didn't pass. I held them off for a while, but they're going to drop coverage and I need another car now.

Last edited:
^^Oh shnizzle! If they bring the 3L diesel here in the X3 I'll be awfully tempted to pay their king's ransom(ugh)

The engines will soon be joined by a new 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo four-cylinder diesel that produces 231 PS (169 kW) and 500 Nm (368 lb-ft) of torque. It is connected to an eight-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system which enables the model to accelerate from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 6.8 seconds.

Any thoughts on upcoming RDX? Not a diesel... but not going cvt either

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-acura-rdx-prototype-a-thinly-veiled-look-at-the-production-model-news

Last edited:

Meh Acura has been putting me to sleep with their new offerings for what going on a decade now I feel so they're pretty much benched until they can prove they still have the cajones to spice up their stuff. Last one I did like was the TSX wagon, still do when I see it but awd never happened so never even bothered to test drive one...First RDX was pretty spicy but interior kinda sucked, ride was harsh, along w/mpgs.

I'm seeing this as a fringe candidate for downsizing wifey from the 3 rows we almost never use...but she does like her Toyota and I do like the CX-9 so we'll see where the rubber hits the road on that- but she's got another couple years probably.

Last edited:
Thats slower and less power than the 240ps Tiguan we can buy at present, with the same torque 500nm.
But only 7 speed DSG.

I've fancied a BMW myself for some time, but don't like the dated looking front grill they use, BMW sytling took a huge hit some years ago when Bangle took over the design studio, and not recovered since. IMO.

Car mags here said the 2L BMW diesel wasn't good enough for a premium car.
One mag did say the CX-5 diesel was "one of the best in the world".

I rented a 120d over in the UK for a couple weeks and I thought the old 2.0 diesel was somewhat agricultural compared to other modern diesels I've driven with similar displacement. Specifically, it seemed to have very heavy flywheel effect and was very slow revving. The specs you quoted for the new 2.0 diesel look pretty impressive though. Unfortunately, the X3 is out of consideration for me. The entry price for the X3 diesel will probably be close to $50k and when equipped to my liking it will probably be pushing $60k. I can't justify that kind of indulgence given where my retirement savings is at. Now, if I could get that engine in the X1 and keep it around $45k out the door, I might have been tempted.

But it looks like I'm out of the running for the CX-5 diesel, or any upcoming diesel for that matter. I got rear-ended in a multi-car pileup in late Nov and my insurance wanted to total my Subaru and give me a check for $2k. I wanted to continue driving it, but they insisted on a safety inspection and it didn't pass. I held them off for a while, but they're going to drop coverage and I need another car now.

CPO Signature is my dream. But probably CX5 is biggest car I would ever want to own, maybe cut down on consumption and settle for roof racks if space was needed ever.

What about a CPO AWD CX-9 Red MC?

We came so close to buying a CX-9 for my wife last year. I loved the 2.5T. The powerband was like a diesel, but with a little more revs at the top. But the CX-9 is BIG car on the outside. I just don't want or need anything that big.

Back