17" Stock Rims - and limitations on Snow Chains?

caverunner17

:
2014 6MT Sport
Have a FWD CX-5 with All weather tires. Don't have room for a special set for winter in our apartment. CO often requires snow chains in the mountains for our 2-3x year ski trip. Are there any limitations on which chains I can get as far as clearance goes? Found a few on Craig's List for cheap that fit the 225/65/17 on the car.

Assuming CO stands for Colorado, there are rules but tire chains are just one option. All weather tires are winter rated and should have a mountain/snowflake on the side wall. Are you sure you need to buy chains? According to this link, M+S or winter tires will suffice. If you're in the code 16, well you probably shouldn't be out there anyways.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/winter-driving/TractionLaw

I don't live in this area, but just went through the same thing. One of my kids was concerned cause her friend told her she must have chains in her vehicle on specific roads and special times of the year. After reading the regs, it turned out to be a different story.

I have a 2014 2wd with the stock geolander 225/65/17/ and recently ran z chains on it for a few days. Worked great with no clearance issues. Here in Portland OR we usually get a week or so of snow, freezing rain, etc.

We have a 2016.5 CX5 Touring with stock 17" rims. We happened to have a set of Security Chain Company SZ143 super Z6 tire chains for another car, and they say they fit the CX5 stock wheel/tire size. Before a trip to Utah this winter, we test-fit the chains on the front wheels. While they do "fit" the tires, on the back side of the tire the blue plastic-covered cable that holds the chains together rubs against a somewhat sharp piece of the strut. It doesn't rub much, and it's possible that the action of driving along with the tension from the rubber tensioner on the front of the wheel would make the chains clear the strut completely, I wasn't 100% convinced they would actually work. I did not test them with actual driving, we just moved the car a few inches in the driveway to confirm the contact between the chains and the strut.

At least in California we're covered for R1 and R2 with AWD and snow (M+S) tires, and I'm told by the time CHP goes to R3 (chains for everyone) they close the road anyway, but there is still a requirement that all drivers carry chains in winter regardless of their car's AWD capabilities. I'd hate to be stuck trying to get off a mountain and have my chains shredded after 100ft of driving (or worse yet getting caught up in the suspension). I'll be researching this some more before our next show/ice trip.

Well, I ended up finding a pair on Craig's List for $25. Put them on and went up into the mountains. Got places that others with AWD couldn't get!

That sounds fun! Any issues clearing the strut in the area circled in this photo? You can see it right through the wheel with a flashlight. This is the area I was seeing contact with our cables. 2016-12-24 02.09.46.jpg

That sounds fun! Any issues clearing the strut in the area circled in this photo? You can see it right through the wheel with a flashlight. This is the area I was seeing contact with our cables.View attachment 215704

Not that I noticed, at least. I only had them on for probably 5 miles or so total (back country area by a ski resort), but didn't notice any issues during or after putting them on.

SZ143 Super Z6 chains do not work for the CX5. They fit the wheel great, but the cable in the back hits a part of the strut. Even tho the contact is minimal, I would not feel comfortable driving with these, as the contact would wear down the cable over time.

I installed the cables as instructed, then lifted the car off the ground and spun the wheel to test for contact. Lifting up the car does not change the spacial relationship between the wheel and the strut, as they move in unison.

20170205_140034_zpsdsiizrxj.jpg

20170205_140041_zpshjajulin.jpg

20170212_164832_zpss6xxxz6d.jpg

20170212_164910_zpsselszoxf.jpg

20170212_164949_zpsfzllqnfi.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone found a tire chain solution for the 17" tires?

Edit:

I've emailed Peerless Chain with the link to the YouTube video, and here is their respond:

Please be advised that if the SZ143 is hitting the strut, Part #*s Z-571 & SZ343 will definitely hit the strut * these need more clearance than #SZ143

So cable chains are out of the question, unless the inside circle is greater the rim size of 17" to clear the strut mounting bracket.

Another option that it "might" work is the Peerless 0155505 that has a solid inside circle. Again, the inside circle has to be 17" or greater.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction/tirechains/178

I emailed Peerless again to ask if they can get the diameter of the inner circle and the thickness of the ring so that it might clear the strut tube?

Edit #2:

Just installed the Peerless 0155505 and looks like it will not touch any part of the strut.

78c7d036-57a0-4911-888f-4388c57466fd-original.jpg

7ee200f5-2f7f-4d84-83b6-bed695d0d1fa-original.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the research and the update. I think I'll pick up a set and try them with the front wheel in the air. This is encouraging.

Peerless 0155510 is the Walmart version of Peerless 0155505 and it cost less.

Please let us know to confirm my finding...

In case anyone is wondering, I tried my SZ143s on my 2019 GT's stock P225/55R19s (Toyo A36), and while the chains do fit onto the tire, the inner cable hits the same part as above. Can't say how much damage it would do over time, but probably not worth risking it.

Back