new owner

:
Mazda CX-5 GT Reserved
CX-5 GT reserve bought yesterday (red).
I think I'm going to like this car. Hope it is reliable.
Looking forward to info on the site; thanks

Just bought the same model and color a couple of weeks ago! Check the recent Consumer Reports thread as to Mazda reliability. I am quite impressed with the car so far. Nothing is perfect and different people seem to take exception to things that don't bother me in the least. I first considered the Signature version but the extra $2k did not seem to add anything that really mattered to me. The black liner makes it seem darker which is maybe why it needs LED accent lights. The 360 degree camera is not too useful due to the low quality of Mazda's camera system. Dark brown leather? Nah. Front and rear parking sensors? Maybe if I had to do a lot of parallel parking. The wheels actually look the same to me. So, there is that little Sg badge! Maybe that is worth it. Otherwise how is anyone to know you spent more for your CX-5? :D

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123870050-Mazda-Ranked-Highly-by-CR

Tim

Congrats 2019cx5T! I just got my exact comp the day before you. Agreed that this seems like a fine vehicle with great looks and a very high "fun to drive" quotient. Enjoy.

Just bought the same model and color a couple of weeks ago! Check the recent Consumer Reports thread as to Mazda reliability. I am quite impressed with the car so far. Nothing is perfect and different people seem to take exception to things that don't bother me in the least. I first considered the Signature version but the extra $2k did not seem to add anything that really mattered to me. The black liner makes it seem darker which is maybe why it needs LED accent lights. The 360 degree camera is not too useful due to the low quality of Mazda's camera system. Dark brown leather? Nah. Front and rear parking sensors? Maybe if I had to do a lot of parallel parking. The wheels actually look the same to me. So, there is that little Sg badge! Maybe that is worth it. Otherwise how is anyone to know you spent more for your CX-5? :D

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123870050-Mazda-Ranked-Highly-by-CR

Tim

Enjoy your new CX5.

I happened to own a 2019 Signature and wonder why you have to knock the Signature to justify your purchase of the Reserve? I liked the Napa Leather and felt the difference for me of $1,800 over the 5 years I plan to keep it is only $350 per year...like $30 per month. Does that mean I should belittle those who purchased the Reserve? No way... it is still a Mazda CX5 just like the Sport, Touring, and GT are Mazda CX 5s. Once again, enjoy your new car but don't relate everything to the importance of how much you spent. Remember, those who own a BMW or Mercedes will look down on you and me because we own a Mazda.

Enjoy your new CX5.

I happened to own a 2019 Signature and wonder why you have to knock the Signature to justify your purchase of the Reserve? I liked the Napa Leather and felt the difference for me of $1,800 over the 5 years I plan to keep it is only $350 per year...like $30 per month. Does that mean I should belittle those who purchased the Reserve? No way... it is still a Mazda CX5 just like the Sport, Touring, and GT are Mazda CX 5s. Once again, enjoy your new car but don't relate everything to the importance of how much you spent. Remember, those who own a BMW or Mercedes will look down on you and me because we own a Mazda.

You totally missed my point. I was not trying to belittle buyers of the Signature, just noting that the extra features were not worth the money to me. Now, you have to admit all the Mazda CX-5 backup cameras are pretty low quality.

Tim

Yes, to each their own trim level. We all purchased what we thought was right for us based on our wants & needs. As long as each of us is satisfied with our purchase is what counts.

Congrats & enjoy your Reserve.

So, there is that little Sg badge! Maybe that is worth it. Otherwise how is anyone to know you spent more for your CX-5? :D

I'm pretty sure it was this comment that struck a nerve. Everything else is from your perspective and totally justifiable, but this last statement makes it sound like you're talking about all CX-5 owners, not just yourself.

I got my Reserve last March.

I really, really love this car. I know you'll enjoy yours.

Thanks; I traded in a 2018 F 150 5.0L Lariat with 13,700 miles. It was using 2 qts between oil changes,
and after driving F150s since 2004, I was ready to change to a smaller vehicle. I ride dirt bikes & bicycles
and am getting a bumper carrier. My bicycle barely fits inside the CX5, so pretty happy it even fits.
Funny observation is that the CX-5 is 11" shorter than my wife's 2013 Sonata Hybrid.
My next step is to try the hands free phone system. Looks like the button is on the steering
wheel, and my phone is paired already.

I'm pretty sure it was this comment that struck a nerve. Everything else is from your perspective and totally justifiable, but this last statement makes it sound like you're talking about all CX-5 owners, not just yourself.

If that struck a nerve maybe internet forums are not the place to hang out. On the other hand....taking offense does seem to be the sport of our time!(rolleyes) In a way I was also poking fun at myself as I sorta wish mine had a little GTR badge. Mazda is the rare company that does not have any badging to differentiate the models. Most have DX, LX, XYZ-S, etc on the rear of their vehicles.

Tim

Last edited:
I went to this car from almost 30 years of driving pickup trucks. I just couldn't make myself downsize all the way to a sedan.

re: bike riding...I used to do tons of it. Been on long weekend rides, commuted to work on it, etc. Still have my old 70s Motobecane Super Mirage I bought new.

I just bought a CX-5 GT last month in Deep Blue Mica. For me, it had everything I needed. I don't want folding mirrors, ventilated seats, etc. That doesn't mean I would criticize anyone for choosing a higher trim level. To each his own, and I hope everyone enjoys their CX-5s. A great car and a lot fun to drive.

Congrats! I just got a GTR in Sonic Silver last Saturday. I'm thrilled with it so far...about 50 miles on it so far, but all fun.

I just bought a CX-5 GT last month in Deep Blue Mica. For me, it had everything I needed. I don't want folding mirrors, ventilated seats, etc. That doesn't mean I would criticize anyone for choosing a higher trim level. To each his own, and I hope everyone enjoys their CX-5s. A great car and a lot fun to drive.

But as you know, if you want the turbo...

And I moved into this car after years of driving beaters and then years of driving pickup trucks. I really would not have paid separately for most of the features it came with, but now that I have them I really enjoy them (MRCC, SCBS, BSM). I agree that folding mirrors and ventilated seats could be dispensed with. The first thing I did was turn off the mirrors.

EIther way, I would have been perfectly happy with a GT.

I got the Eternal Blue. Regardless of trim, these are very nice cars.

You totally missed my point. I was not trying to belittle buyers of the Signature, just noting that the extra features were not worth the money to me. Now, you have to admit all the Mazda CX-5 backup cameras are pretty low quality.

Tim

I'll say it, the backup camera is complete trash, with no trajectory. But it does the job and Mazda gets the important stuff right at a competitive price. Just read a long term review of a Kia Stinger, and for $48k they were dealing with a persistent hatch rattle on a brand new car and vibrations through the brake pedal.

The styling, interior, handling, value, and noise insulation are all strong points with the CX-5.

If that struck a nerve maybe internet forums are not the place to hang out. On the other hand....taking offense does seem to be the sport of our time!(rolleyes) In a way I was also poking fun at myself as I sorta wish mine had a little GTR badge. Mazda is the rare company that does not have any badging to differentiate the models. Most have DX, LX, XYZ-S, etc on the rear of their vehicles.

Tim

It's all too easy to misinterpret your tone or inflection with only written word to go by. Sarcasm doesn't go over well unless it's painfully obvious. That's why I said that your last statement sounds like you're criticizing all CX-5 Signature owners, instead of stating how trivial the upgrade is to you.

If you had instead written "So, there is that little Sg badge! Maybe that is worth it. Otherwise how is anyone to know I spent more for my CX-5?" it would have been interpreted as you had intended. Just food for thought from someone who reinterprets and rewrites content for a living..

Back