US Diesel's big splash introduction

This now is what I think the holdup is.

Mazda's diesel already operates at lower compression hence lower temperature hence less NOx.

Now I'm sure they'll welcome any advancement in that arena as any diesel manufacturer would as it becomes available but I don't remotely see how this would cause them to not release a perfectly capable engine that exists now and meets present standards.

Perhaps but it's 2 years away....
That's not that long into the future... well except for buyers who need to buy a vehicle now :)

Mazda's diesel already operates at lower compression hence lower temperature hence less NOx.

Now I'm sure they'll welcome any advancement in that arena as any diesel manufacturer would as it becomes available but I don't remotely see how this would cause them to not release a perfectly capable engine that exists now and meets present standards.
We are under the assumption that their current diesel engine, which needed to add urea injections for North America, is capable of passing the EPA and CARB tests. What if it is not capable of passing those tests without losing performance? That was the same thing that happened to the Mazda6 diesel engine. Anyway I'm just thinking, maybe the gen2 SkyActiv-D engine might be more advanced and will help them pass the EPA and CARB tests easily. Because honestly, if their current diesel engine has already got the certifications, I don't know what else could be holding up the release of the diesel CX-5.

That's not that long into the future... well except for buyers who need to buy a vehicle now :)

We are under the assumption that their current diesel engine, which needed to add urea injections for North America, is capable of passing the EPA and CARB tests. What if it is not capable of passing those tests without losing performance? That was the same thing that happened to the Mazda6 diesel engine. Anyway I'm just thinking, maybe the gen2 SkyActiv-D engine might be more advanced and will help them pass the EPA and CARB tests easily. Because honestly, if their current diesel engine has already got the certifications, I don't know what else could be holding up the release of the diesel CX-5.

The previous motor without the urea SCR system was close all on it's own but didn't quite pass. Mazda was confused on how VW was doing it without a SCR and that is what lead to the delays etc before. They could get it to pass without SCR but then performance suffered due to the tuning.

Their current motor with SCR (as far as we know) doesn't have certifications yet but Mazda seems pretty confident it will pass (which makes sense given they were pretty damn close without it). Hence why it's not here yet. If it was certified, it would be here. That seems to be more of a problem with the EPA (under manned, under funded, dealing with VW fiasco, under attack from Trump etc) than Mazda or their motor.

giphy.gif

POSTED NOVEMBER 2016

Mazda had the best of intentions six years ago when it proclaimed it would begin offering diesel engines in the United States in 2012 to make its fleet more fuel efficient.

But there was a problem.

To meet U.S. diesel emission requirements -- which are tougher than those in Europe and Japan -- Mazda's planned diesel vehicles would have simply lacked oomph. That was a painful prospect for a brand that for more than 15 years has advertised itself under the words "zoom-zoom."

Six years and three delays later, Mazda Motor Corp. CEO Masamichi Kogai says his company has achieved a way to balance driving performance with clean emissions and is now ready to move forward.

Mazda will finally introduce a diesel version of its best-selling vehicle, the CX-5 crossover, next year, he announced last week ahead of the Los Angeles Auto Show.

He promised that the new diesel setup makes no compromises on performance or emissions.

Kogai said a revamped 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D clean diesel engine, tweaked to meet more stringent U.S. regulations for nitrogen oxide emissions, will be offered in a new-generation CX-5 in the second half of 2017. The redesigned CX-5 debuted at the L.A. Auto Show.

The EPA must still give an official fuel economy rating for the CX-5 diesel. But Kogai said it would be among the most fuel-efficient rides in the small crossover segment, including hybrids.

Diesel delays

Mazda's original 2010 U.S. plan was delayed three times over the past four years. The introduction next year would mark a major milestone for Mazda's line of Skyactiv engines, transmissions and lightweight platforms. Having a clean diesel in the mix was originally envisioned as Mazda's cost-effective, fuel-efficient answer to the expensive hybrid drivetrains being developed by rival carmakers with much deeper pockets.

But the plan was stymied from the get-go by more stringent U.S. emission rules.

"Three times after that, we had to postpone the introduction timing, so that disappointed dealers and customers," Kogai said of the original plan. "We wanted to make the breakthrough this time."

The fix came through adding a urea selective catalytic reduction treatment to scrub the exhaust of nitrogen oxides, Kogai said. Mazda developed a compact selective catalytic reduction unit that not only reduced its cost but reduced its impact on engine performance, he said. Further gains in performance came through various tweaks to reduce friction throughout the drivetrain.

Uphill battle

Mazda spent five years measuring customer feedback to develop the improvements to the North American diesel engine so that it would be sporty and clean, Kogai said.

Mazda knows of the uphill battle in convincing U.S. consumers of the charms of diesel now, after Volkswagen AG's diesel emissions scandal tainted the technology's image.

Clean diesels account for only around 2.5 percent of the U.S. market, Kogai reckons.

But Mazda has high hopes for running the playbook it used in Japan, where consumers were long turned off by diesel's reputation for sooty exhaust and rackety engines.

Before Mazda introduced the first Skyactiv-D engines in Europe in 2011 and in Japan the next year, diesel penetration was just 1 percent of the Japanese market, where buyers are more enthralled with hybrids. But Japanese consumers gradually warmed to the technology.

Diesels now represent 8 percent of the Japanese market, and Mazda claims about half that volume, Kogai said. Mazda now offers diesel versions of its Mazda2 subcompact, Mazda3 compact, Mazda6 midsize sedan and CX3 compact crossover, in addition to the CX5. Diesels account for about 36 percent of Mazda's total volume in Japan.

Last year, Mazda sold 103,771 diesel vehicles in Japan and 182,758 worldwide.

Mazda is saying they will have a big reveal tomorrow at the New York International Auto Show. Not sure what they are going to be revealing. Could it be a release date for the diesel CX-5? Or maybe an announcement for the AWD Turbo Mazda6? Or are they going to show a concept of the new CX- car that they will be building in Alabama? Should be exciting to find out what they have in store for us tomorrow.

Mazda is saying they will have a big reveal tomorrow at the New York International Auto Show. Not sure what they are going to be revealing. Could it be a release date for the diesel CX-5? Or maybe an announcement for the AWD Turbo Mazda6? Or are they going to show a concept of the new CX- car that they will be building in Alabama? Should be exciting to find out what they have in store for us tomorrow.

Probably something they have planned or something else lacking any real substance.

From the looks of the short video clip, it appears to be the Mazda 6 Signature.

Probably something they have planned or something else lacking any real substance.
At least we won't wait long to find out. We'll definitely know what it is tomorrow afternoon.

From the looks of the short video clip, it appears to be the Mazda 6 Signature.
They've already unveiled the Mazda 6 Signature at the previous auto show. So I'm not sure they will unveil the same car. There has to be something else they are unveiling. From the looks of the short video teaser, it does look like a Mazda6. Which is why I'm thinking maybe they are unveiling an AWD variant? Or maybe a new Mazda3? But with the SkyActiv-X engine so close, that might not be it. I dunno, but am excited for tomorrow.

At least we won't wait long to find out. We'll definitely know what it is tomorrow afternoon.

They've already unveiled the Mazda 6 Signature at the previous auto show. So I'm not sure they will unveil the same car. There has to be something else they are unveiling. From the looks of the short video teaser, it does look like a Mazda6. Which is why I'm thinking maybe they are unveiling an AWD variant? Or maybe a new Mazda3? But with the SkyActiv-X engine so close, that might not be it. I dunno, but am excited for tomorrow.

Wasn't there an EPA or Crash test data that showed an AWD Mazda6 was tested... I am still thinking we might see a Mazda 6 AWD wagon variant to compete with the new Buick Regal TourX Wagon.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/28/2018-buick-regal-tourx-pricing/

Whatever it is I just got the call so I'm heading down to NYC tomorrow. Fine I didn't but I am going down on Mon (barring a post Easter Noreaster:)) and just got an email about the new 6 @NYIAS...and something else- big apparently! Big splash??? As long as it relates to compression ignition- be it pure or spark assisted I'll be pretty fkn stoked! And again even if they want to tell me the diesel maybe donzo'd in favor of fast tracking sky-x into the CX-5..totally cool w/that.(birthday)

Last edited:
Back