Anyone found an OBD2 phone app that will read transmission fluid temp?

Still looking but leaning toward there is something from the personal data I have observed in my own vehicle and some of the FSM data. I can't say definitively either way though at this point. If it is there it isn't a standalone sensor and like I said before part of the valve body or that ECM. It wouldn't take much to integrate a temp sensor. With it being water cooled temps would often stay close together with normal driving. I even seen this on my GX...but start pulling heavy loads on hills, mountain passes or towing trailers and one should see temp gap noticeably widen.

Still looking but leaning toward there is something from the personal data I have observed in my own vehicle and some of the FSM data. I can't say definitively either way though at this point. If it is there it isn't a standalone sensor and like I said before part of the valve body or that ECM. It wouldn't take much to integrate a temp sensor. With it being water cooled temps would often stay close together with normal driving. I even seen this on my GX...but start pulling heavy loads on hills, mountain passes or towing trailers and one should see temp gap noticeably widen.

Here...I think it corresponds to number 446 on your diagram
http://www.mcx5.org/transaxle_fluid_temperature_tft_sensor_fw6_a_el_fw6_ax_el_-1000.htm

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's funny because in my 2015 WSM aside from "TFT | Transaxle Fluid Temperature" listed under abbreviations, and it mentions TFT Pid for monitoring during some M-MDS processes.. but nowhere does it show/identify a TFT sensor on any diagram whatsoever. it does have the "Coupler Component" as labeled in that mcx5 diagram,along withother valve body sddiagrams (but without the TFT sensor built in annotation).
Most likely the WSM has been updated to reflect that item on it's own.. In mine all troubleshooting related to ATF refer to the ECT. no1 sensor.. In that case the question remains; has anyone with a 15 or older cx-5 got two different temps to show for coolant and transaxle with the Torque app?

It may require a custom PID in Torque. I had to add some in on my GX when I played with that program while OBD Fusion just saw it. Unfortunately many of these programs don*t show you PID and formula being used. I will try to test myself...when I have access to vehicle. I don*t think FORScan reveals PID and formula either.

I believe both sides have its point. Even if there's a build-in ATFT/TFT sensor in valve body, we still don't know if the TFT sensor is only for "internal" usage, or its value, instead coolant temperature sensor, gets displayed on the M-MDS app as ATF temperature.

Again, from the service manual that was posted on this website a few years ago.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tft.jpg
    tft.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,659
Again, from the service manual that was posted on this website a few years ago.

attachment.php
Thanks for the info. So we can get a true TFT sensor data from Forscan App directly without custom PID setup on CX-5?

Thanks for the info. So we can get a true TFT sensor data from Forscan App directly without custom PID setup on CX-5?

Yes, using Forscan. Just about everything and anything is there, trans temps, rear diff temps, duty cycle of fuel pump, what gear the trans is in, rear parking brake motor voltages, fuel pump voltages, etc.

+1 amazing amount of info there... you can also add a gauge to show how much power is being transmitted to rear diff. There is info in another thread.

Kinda like a portable Mazda M-MDS

That's funny because in my 2015 WSM aside from "TFT | Transaxle Fluid Temperature" listed under abbreviations, and it mentions TFT Pid for monitoring during some M-MDS processes.. but nowhere does it show/identify a TFT sensor on any diagram whatsoever. it does have the "Coupler Component" as labeled in that mcx5 diagram,along withother valve body sddiagrams (but without the TFT sensor built in annotation).
Most likely the WSM has been updated to reflect that item on it's own.. In mine all troubleshooting related to ATF refer to the ECT. no1 sensor.. In that case the question remains; has anyone with a 15 or older cx-5 got two different temps to show for coolant and transaxle with the Torque app?
You're not going to find a TFT sensor alone by itself. It's integrated into the coupler component. My guess is that when it goes bad you have to replace the entire coupler component assy.

I pretty much gave up trying to find a PID for my Torque app that would work for my wife's 2016. I'd input one that would read the coolant and trans fluid temp exactly the same or another PID that would give a ridiculously low temp reading for the trans fluid temp. That was until the notices of posts kept coming in. So with the rainy weather we had over the past week I delved in trying to find a PID that would work. Since I'm retired and my wife still works, I could only test the PID's when she was home. When she got home last evening, I went out with a new PID programmed in the Torque app on my andriod phone, plugged in the BAFX reader and... in my opinion it seemed pretty accurate. The coolant temp was 202F and the trans fluid temp was 177F. Where I found the "formula" I don't really remember, but to me it's a keeper.

Here's what I input into the Torque Pro App. Hopefully it will work for someone else.

OBD2 Mode and PID:
221e1c

Long Name:
Transmission Fluid Temperature 1

Short Name:
TFT 1

Minimum Value:

Maximum value:

Scale factor:
x1

Unit Type:
F
Equation:
((A*256+B)*(9/80)+32)

Got this from the CX-9 section.

#4) 07E1221E1C 0462051E061C 3010 000900050020

My Scangauge II is version 3.15. Xguage Setting #4 above, Alt 3 on Scanguage's site, seems to work for my 2016.5 CX-5 AWD. Idling in my driveway, the trans fluid was 20F+ below the engine coolant. Lists as TFT, looks to be in deg F.

Edit:
After 4 days and 2 road trips, the reported temp tracks the engine coolant somewhat. After ~10 miles on the highway at speed, the fluid temp is within 5 deg above the coolant temp. After ~20 miles at 80 mph, the TFT is stable at 188 to 190 F with the coolant varying between 182 and 188 F.
Hooning about town, the high was 197 F with the coolant temp at 188 to 191 F. The trans temp changes slowly and once above coolant temp, never drops below it.

Last edited:
AT Temp from OBDII to display on a gauge

Have you found a good way to display transmission temperature (separate or in addition to engine coolant sensor)?

I read on this thread how many drivers display on their phone or a diagnostic tool. I'm looking to display so I can read it real time without using my phone, if I can.

I have a 2014 CX-5 AWD 2.5 GT. I saw the small, what appeared to be hard-to-read Scan Gauge II that others have reported being able to read transmission and engine coolant temps, among other data. I'm hoping to avoid using my phone. Is that the only alternative to the Scan Gauge for reading trans temp? If you found something, what works?

Another driver also noted that there is an expensive but good-looking Aeroforce https://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_order_mazda.html#sr gauge pod that can show one or two data streams.

What have you used that shows transmission temperature successfully?

Thanks!

Thanks!

You can always dedicate a cheap $30-$35 Android phone without a contract. A lot of them out there. I see the appeal of a gauge but for those that don't want to dedicate their primary communication device there is the dedicated phone option as well. I am a IOS & Android user.

Got this from the CX-9 section.

#4) 07E1221E1C 0462051E061C 3010 000900050020

My Scangauge II is version 3.15. Xguage Setting #4 above, Alt 3 on Scanguage's site, seems to work for my 2016.5 CX-5 AWD. Idling in my driveway, the trans fluid was 20F+ below the engine coolant. Lists as TFT, looks to be in deg F.

Edit:
After 4 days and 2 road trips, the reported temp tracks the engine coolant somewhat. After ~10 miles on the highway at speed, the fluid temp is within 5 deg above the coolant temp. After ~20 miles at 80 mph, the TFT is stable at 188 to 190 F with the coolant varying between 182 and 188 F.
Hooning about town, the high was 197 F with the coolant temp at 188 to 191 F. The trans temp changes slowly and once above coolant temp, never drops below it.

This is useful information. I know adding an ATF cooler has been discussed in length on another thread. I am also a big fan of ATF coolers, having installed them on my other cars including my Lexus RX300, famous for it's weak "lifetime" transmission, meaning the life of the warranty.
I'm considering a work-around for additional cooling inline to the coolant lines supplying the ATF cooler for the CX-5 using a small motorcycle radiator and fan set at a lower temperature in the driver's side fender, behind the fog light. I'm looking to see if I can find a used motorcycle radiator with the same outlet size as the coolant hoses to the CX-5 ATF cooler. This should supply slightly lowered temps going into the transmission, and the engine thermostat will regulate the overall system temperature from being too low to affect performance. The reason is that I generally keep my cars a long time (that RX300 is 20 years old), want to help to assure durability over the long haul, and occasionally I find myself in very hot weather, steep mountains, and towing, usually at the same time. The cooler on the light-duty RX and my other cars has served them well, I hope I can do something for the CX-5, and showing the temps on a gauge is a great way to know.

You can always dedicate a cheap $30-$35 Android phone without a contract. A lot of them out there. I see the appeal of a gauge but for those that don't want to dedicate their primary communication device there is the dedicated phone option as well. I am a IOS & Android user.

I thought about this, and looked at some of the dongles that broadcast the OBDII data either Bluetooth or Wifi. In each case, there were reasons to doubt the reliability of these systems, that they lose connectivity or burn out quickly. Which systems do drivers use that have proven reliable for reading trans and coolant temps? I'm still open to this system, it just seems that a hardwired system is more reliable.

Thanks Kedis for your response and suggestion.

I've ran the ELM327 options for about 6 years. Never had one burn out.

I'm experimenting with this one now with a 3 year warranty, firmware updates and secure Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

http://www.obdlink.com/mxp/

They are based out of Phoenix, AZ and have really good support. Like Forscan this can peer into modules well beyond general OBD of most major makes. I use this with my Infiniti G35x and GX 460 as well.

ELM327, Forscan, or UltraGauge MX

I've ran the ELM327 options for about 6 years. Never had one burn out.

I'm experimenting with this one now with a 3 year warranty, firmware updates and secure Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

http://www.obdlink.com/mxp/

They are based out of Phoenix, AZ and have really good support. Like Forscan this can peer into modules well beyond general OBD of most major makes. I use this with my Infiniti G35x and GX 460 as well.

This is a great alternative for me, and now has me considering the option of using a phone more seriously because it has I have relevant information about the dependability of everyday use.

I am still considering a dedicated hardwired device. Somebody mentioned, or I happened across doing a search the UltraGauge MX (their model that reads manufacturer codes in addition to OBDII codes). The readout is not as flexible as what you might find from a phone app, but this is a small easy to live with device that can show 7 pages of 2-8 "gauges" of digital data. https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=57

It seems much better looking and easier to read than ScanGaugeII and has user support. I'm wondering if drivers of our cars have ever used one of these devices and how they liked it, how it held up?

Thanks for your input!

Back