Wouldn't it be nice...

If my 4 year old has to use her knees to get herself into the car then in my eyes is not a wagon. She was able to step into the mazda3 when she was 3 but has to climb into the RDX and the CX-5.

I was in the market for a wagon before I got the CX-5 (I traded in the Mazda3 hatch) but no matter what brand the wagon was more expensive than the sedan version AND the equivalent sized CUV.

3 Series Sport wagon starts at 44,600.
X3 is 42,650.
Plain ole 330 is $42,250 with xdrive.

I don't think many would pay more for a smaller car (non-sport car) within the same brand. When I bought the Mazda3 the HB version was only a few hundred more than the sedan.

If the wagon was priced the same as the CUV I would have taken the wagon but I'm just one of those that would also take a mini-van over a 3 row cross-over :)

Last edited:
If my 4 year old has to use her knees to get herself into the car then in my eyes is not a wagon. She was able to step into the mazda3 when she was 3 but has to climb into the RDX and the CX-5.

I was in the market for a wagon before I got the CX-5 (I traded in the Mazda3 hatch) but no matter what brand the wagon was more expensive than the sedan version AND the equivalent sized CUV.

3 Series Sport wagon starts at 44,600.
X3 is 42,650.
Plain ole 330 is $42,250 with xdrive.

I don't think many would pay more for a smaller car (non-sport car) within the same brand. When I bought the Mazda3 the HB version was only a few hundred more than the sedan.

If the wagon was priced the same as the CUV I would have taken the wagon but I'm just one of those that would also take a mini-van over a 3 row cross-over :)

An interesting way of differentiating between a wagon and anything else.

An interesting way of differentiating between a wagon and anything else.

Well that's what I use and it generally works. I don't have hard fast rules for minor things in life like classing a car. I could very well change my mind on how to categorize something and I'm cool with it.

I have to disagree. There is a big aversion to wagons in the US. VWs Alltrak and Allroad, Subaru Outback, Mazda CX-9, and a few others are wagons. Todays wagons are not the giant low slung monsters of yesterday. .

Depends on where you live. There have been a boatload of Outbacks everywhere I've lived for the past 20 years [mountains/snow zones]. The much more expensive marques, too. Many factors go into a buying decision, not just general body style/shape.

That's the first time I've heard anyone call the CX-9 a "wagon". A lot of people [most?] would call it a CUV [crossover] -- a unibody, tall, AWD vehicle-- the thing in between a tall body-on frame-4WD "real" SUV and a "wagon".

The more choices the better!

The Outback has gotten taller and taller over the years, with the seating position becoming more upright too. From 2009 on, you could almost call it a crossover. That's probably why it still sells well. I've only seen one Alltrack on the road ever, and part of the problem with it is that it's a bit overpriced.

Back