Cost effective improvements

:
83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i
I was either going to find a ford probe gt with the kl-de or turbo my fs-de. I'm not sure which one would better on both my wallet but also allow more room for later mods.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ps I'm really leaning towards the KL-DE swap

Maybe someone can provide more insight, but the KL-DE will require custom work.

You will need to find a matching manual transmission from the Probe/626/MX-6 along with the wiring harness, ECU, and accessories.

While doable it depends how much money and/or time you want to invest.

A forum member shares his experience below:
https://
www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814293-Slotege-KLZE-Swap-Thread-Take-2

Turbo on the other hand is more manageable. You can find a turbo kits on EBay and have your ECU flashed to the MSP. Or you can take it a step further by going forged.

I believe there is a sticky on the forum for all the parts required to go turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The V6 swap is no easy feat. At least not compared to dropping in a turbo.

On a stock engine you'll be pretty limited with the turbo, but it'll be a lot cheaper than finding a KL, trans, wiring, plus all the labor involved with the swap.

I'd opt for a built FS with a turbo rather than the KL swap.

What custom fab work would I need to do from what I was reading it should fit on the fs mounts and I need some parts from the probe like transmission I know

Well I know the power on the KL. I didn't even look at a car until I saw the KL swap. I then decided I needed a P5 with a KL!

Now the other night my buddy came to my place with his new car which was a dull faded yellow MSP. We did some work on it but it leaks pressure and only holds like 2-4psi cause his leaky turbo manifold. But the only reason I bring this up is because his turbo got me all giddy!

More than anything I have more time than money and want to know what to save up for!

d6f73fcf515683d88f8e71b086eefce9.jpg

fa483ac998c455c5c8e43742a67ffe23.jpg

He probably has a bad WGA or boost leak causing the low boost, not just a leaky turbo mani.

Stock block record for a turbo FSDE (not that it will last long with stock internals) is about 280whp. Good luck doing that with an N/A KL.

So turbo it is! Anything I should be looking at in particular? Maybe a few links? Gotta love the protege guys!

Also can someone explain what the MP3 is? I get that I can flash my ecu to make it a MP3 ecu but what is the difference?

Last edited:
Also can someone explain what the MP3 is? I get that I can flash my ecu to make it a MP3 ecu but what is the difference?

Different timing curve to take advantage of premium gas.

I'm not entirely up to speed on the MP3, but it was a somewhat rare trim package with the slightly different tune, better wheels and suspension, and possibly exhaust.

I do know about the KL swap for the most part. I would most likely do the KL-DE cause it will be easy to find out by me. (Lots of rednecks out by me) so I bet I could find a couple for like $300-$700 running with just a bunch of rust which I don't care about since I plan on crushing the leftovers. So I was thinking would that make sense to buy a running Probe GT or should I just turbo it?

Have read that the 1.8 FPDE is a better base to turbo. With the 1.8 cams changed, you get better more reliable power than a turbo'd FSDE. True or false?

I did not read your post completely before posting :/

Ok so now I just need someone to verify!

Last edited:
Sounds good! Well how hard would it be to reflash my own ecu?

You would have to have SpicyOrangeMSP (on this forum) flash it, he is the only one I know of with the capability to do so.

The MP3 was made for the 2001 model year, it came in Laser Blue and Yellow and it had different seats and door panels, similar to the MSP. It also had an intake manifold with the VTCS flaps deleted, the ECU had advanced ignition timing, it had a short shifter, Nardi steering wheel, metal pedal covers, different MP3 floor mats, Racing Beat axle back exhaust, a Kenwood stereo and 10" bass tube in the trunk, Tokico HP struts and Racing Beat springs, Racing beat sway bars, yellow strut tower brace (same brace as P5 and MSP), small black lip under the bumper, higher pagoda-style spoiler, rear lip, side skirts, 17" Racing Hart wheels, and an MP3 engine cover. It also had MP3 badging on the doors and trunk.

It was the precursor to the MSP, which was supposed to be the first Mazdaspeed model sold in the US, but the execs in Japan decided it was not powerful enough to be branded a Mazdaspeed so they changed the name and started designing the MSP with essentially the same suspension but the turbo setup and larger brakes.

MP3s are pretty rare these days, and are cool cars, but only make I believe about 5hp more than the standard FSDE (140 vs. 135). They made 1500 of them, I think 1000 were blue and 500 yellow.

Have read that the 1.8 FPDE is a better base to turbo. With the 1.8 cams changed, you get better more reliable power than a turbo'd FSDE. True or false?

I think the FP has a slightly shorter stroke and possibly a smaller bore, but it won't be able to handle much more boost if any than the FS. It would not be worth the swap, that is for sure.

So I'm thinking turbo is the route for me. Any suggestions on a turbo kit possibly? Or should I just build it myself? I would obviously like to make this as cost effective as possible. (That doesn't mean I'm cutting corners to make it cheaper)

You would have to have SpicyOrangeMSP (on this forum) flash it, he is the only one I know of with the capability to do so.

URL=http://s44.photobucket.com/user/94cobra320/media/maxresdefault_zpsgkzup7of.jpg.html]
maxresdefault_zpsgkzup7of.jpg
[/URL]

Ok so I know he is the only one but like I hear eclipse owners that can flash with a laptop and a tuning program. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes but like I feel like my friend and I could find a way and would really like any input.

Back