Help! Bumped into another car's rear in a parking lot. How much is a fair price for r

" It was my fault and I waited till the person came back to exchange insurance information."

Good for you. Right thing to do. Hopefully the other party will try to accommodate, but they might not. I'm impressed by your integrity, which is far more valuable than the cost of the damage. All the best to you.

+1 agree, honorable and high integrity, some people would have high tailed out of there. best of luck to you. $703.65 sounds about right ...... maybe stry to work with the owner say $650 ....... better to not go thru insurance.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell, but is it that little scratch on the lower painted part in the middle of the bumper I circled in blue? If none of the matte black parts or upper painted parts are damaged (yellow lines) that's a rip off. The area you circled is the tow hitch cover. They should be able to order that single part since it pops off and just repaint that single piece. No need for a whole new bumper if that's the case.

f09i84.jpg

It's hard to tell, but is it that little scratch on the lower painted part in the middle of the bumper I circled in blue? If none of the matte black parts or upper painted parts are damaged (yellow lines) that's a rip off. The area you circled is the tow hitch cover. They should be able to order that single part since it pops off and just repaint that single piece. No need for a whole new bumper if that's the case.

f09i84.jpg

Only the circled part was damaged. The blue circle is a little dent but no paint came off any parts.

Unless insurance has changed lately. Deductibles only apply for repair of your own vehicle ( full coverage ). If its your fault the insurance will pay 100 percent of the bill to repair the other persons car.

Unless insurance has changed lately. Deductibles only apply for repair of your own vehicle ( full coverage ). If its your fault the insurance will pay 100 percent of the bill to repair the other persons car.

Yes, but he is going to get shafted every month thereafter for years unless they have a forgiveness policy.

Good on you OP for being honest.

Sucks the other guy is jumping at the gun though.

I had exact same thought as Seminole and if the other guy was decent at all he'd let you order the part brand new from the dealer and get only that part painted. The body shop is salivating at the insurance repair on this one...

The guy who got hit wouldn't even need any down-time. Could pop the new one right in, in his driveway if it was delivered painted.

Good on you OP for being honest.

Sucks the other guy is jumping at the gun though.

I had exact same thought as Seminole and if the other guy was decent at all he'd let you order the part brand new from the dealer and get only that part painted. The body shop is salivating at the insurance repair on this one...

The guy who got hit wouldn't even need any down-time. Could pop the new one right in, in his driveway if it was delivered painted.

Yeah, maybe you should remind him that if he did this, his Carfax wouldn't show "Rear end accident reported" when he went to trade it in/sell it. You know, just looking out for him and all...

Yeah, maybe you should remind him that if he did this, his Carfax wouldn't show "Rear end accident reported" when he went to trade it in/sell it. You know, just looking out for him and all...

Pretty good angle to play...

Back