Extended warranty cost?

I paid about $1850 to the dealer for a 150k exclusionary/bumper-to-bumper service contract from NAE/NWAN. No time limit. $100 deductible per issue. Doesn't cover headlights, sunroof, exhaust pipes/resonator/cat/muffler, or regular wear/maintenance parts. Does allow me to lower car up to 2". Covers costs up to msrp for factory parts & going rates for labor. Doesn't cover core/disposal/fluid/shop-matl costs.

I'm still in the 60 day period where I can return it for a full refund. After shopping around to the few places that would quote me in California, I'm thinking I'll keep it. Thinking it'll be nice not to worry too much about the turbo, transmission, computer modules, or AWD crapping out.

Last edited:
I really dont know if I should bother getting this for my 19 Sig...

As a person historically against extended warranties........I now advise to purchase them BUT not at retail. Negotiate!!

150,000 miles for today's vehicles should be pretty much trouble free, assuming regular maintenance. An Extended Warranty that covers anything less than 200k - 250k miles, IMHO is a waste of money. Especially for a quality vehicle.......... It's not like we're talking FCA here.

I never buy extended warranties, but with all the expensive electronic stuff on the GTR and Sig, I'm having 2nd thoughts. I plan on keeping this car for a long time (10+ yrs). I had BSM issues on my 2008 CX9GT and the cost of sorting it out was prohibitive. So I just lived with the BSM light flashing. But now there's just so many more sensors and displays that it could be an expensive nightmare to keep it all functional.

There's so many critical settings accessed through the user interface (beyond just the entertainment/radio) that you can't get by for long without that functionality. Besides the BSM, there's such an alphabet soup of other acronyms of other systems, I can't even keep track of them. Since electronic glitches aren't going to be diagnosed and repaired by your friendly grease-monkey, it will mean wholesale and expensive component replacement until a problem is solved.

I kind of wonder if these extended warranties have actually priced that in. Are electronics excluded? While mechanical failure/repair is pretty well understood, these new gizmos are an unknown.

This is one area where actually reading the fine print of the contract up front, is CRITICAL. Do not pay a nickel until you fully understand what is covered and what is excluded. It can save a lot of pain and suffering later on..........

I kind of wonder if these extended warranties have actually priced that in. Are electronics excluded? While mechanical failure/repair is pretty well understood, these new gizmos are an unknown.

Assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, I think it makes sense with the turbo engine, because one issue with that and you're in for more than the warranty cost. For the NA 2.5L, you're going to need a lot more issues for it to make sense on a rapidly depreciating ~27,000 dollar vehicle. Dealers don't sell these to save you money.

Assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, I think it makes sense with the turbo engine, because one issue with that and you're in for more than the warranty cost. For the NA 2.5L, you're going to need a lot more issues for it to make sense on a rapidly depreciating ~27,000 dollar vehicle. Dealers don't sell these to save you money.

Here is an easier method: Never get an extended warranty.

Assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle for 5+ years, I think it makes sense with the turbo engine, because one issue with that and you're in for more than the warranty cost.
My Mazda dealer includes a "free"* lifetime (unlimited years / miles) Powertrain Limited Warranty from Fidelity Warranty Services. $100 deductible. So that's one less headache. My guess is they expect not many claims since it is not transferable and the 6 yr Mazda Powertrain warranty will cover most claims.

* Yeah, I know I'm paying for it somewhere, but this dealer matched the lowest purchase price we found within 100 miles.

Most (if not all) extended warranties do NOT include coverage of headlight assemblies & related components.

I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought frankly against my better judgement(1st, likely last time ever) on my cpo that the salesman 'strongly' suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500- what a steal)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly s*** myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded. While some of this is clearly my fault for not reading through everything before handing them 1300 that shady ass dealer had some set of balls hard selling me on this great b2b 100k wrap through Mazda (it was actually Allstate) but I guess its Mazda endorsed or some crap..when the only thing that came out of my mouth as cause for concern were those nice looking but finicky ass LEDs on this car! Long story short- my $ was refunded and my powertrain is still covered by Mazda out to 100k+1yr 12k b2b- and that's gonna have to do!

Last edited:
I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought against my better judgement(1st time ever) on my cpo that the salesman strongly suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly s*** myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded. While some of this is clearly my fault for not reading through everything before handing them 1300 that shady ass dealer had some set of balls hard selling me on this great b2b 100k wrap through Mazda (it was actually Allstate) but I guess its Mazda endorsed or some crap..when the only thing that came out of my mouth as cause for concern were those nice looking but finicky ass LEDs on this car! Long story short- my $ was refunded and my powertrain is still covered by Mazda out to 100k+1yr 12k b2b- and that's gonna have to do!

That's just it. With all the exclusions, I'd rather keep the $$$ in my pocket and use it toward preventative maintenance.

I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought against my better judgement(1st time ever) on my cpo that the salesman strongly suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly s*** myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded.

This is exactly what I was warning about.
If the proponents of extended warranties on here actually read their warranties, they would find that a lot of this stuff is NOT covered.

That was true for 2017 model year. Except turbo was not available in 2017. In 2019 the NA models have Cylinder deactivation. Head over to Engine and Transmission section to see the horror. In 2019 - an NA would be better suited for extended warranty than the turbo.

That was true for 2017 model year. Except turbo was not available in 2017. In 2019 the NA models have Cylinder deactivation. Head over to Engine and Transmission section to see the horror. In 2019 - an NA would be better suited for extended warranty than the turbo.

I'm aware of the Rocker recall. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed with later production 2019 CX-5s. My April 2019 production CX-5 has no open recalls.

It is annoying that you cannot manually disable the CD, that's a dumb design. Supposedly, Sport mode will deactivate CD, but I'd like to hear a confirmation on that. But, I did a 3 year/15k/yr lease, so I'll decide whether to purchase in 3 years, should be more data by then.

For what it's worth (not much), here's Consumer Reports' reader reliability survey for the CX-5.

1ie46Pi.jpg

Last edited:
Can we please stay on topic regarding costs for extended warranty?

It would be beneficial for everyone, plus there are also many threads about realibility and expected repairs.

^They cost more than they're worth probably about 90-95% of the time..don't have the numbers but I'd be shocked if it were far less than that. They offer piece of mind I guess but at a pretty hefty cost. That- on a pretty dang reliable vehicle (that is quite relevant to the cost is it not??) what more do you need to know?! I'd have literally lost my shirt had I purchased one on my now retired 100+k mile 2014GT..probably would've covered the coil I had go that cost me a whopping 120 and that was with replacing the plugs first!

Volbeat's new album finally out 7- nothing heavy at all but wasn't expecting that based on last one- still good though..oh my bad

Last edited:
^They cost more than they're worth probably about 90-95% of the time..don't have the numbers but I'd be shocked if it were far less than that. They offer piece of mind I guess but at a pretty hefty cost. That- on pretty damn reliable vehicle (that is quite relevant to the cost is it not??) what more do you need to know!! I'd have lost my shirt had I purchased one on my now retired 100k mile 2014..probably would've covered the coil I had go that cost me a whopping 120 and that was with replacing the plugs first!

Volbeat's new album finally out 7- nothing heavy at all but wasn't expecting that based on last one- still good though..oh my bad

Ah, got to make sure I don't have any irrelevant sentences in there.

Last edited:
I can't say all/most whatever but the one I bought frankly against my better judgement(1st, likely last time ever) on my cpo that the salesman 'strongly' suggested as I very was concerned about the LEDs I see blown out on these 3 year old CX-5s (got for 1295 vs starting price of 2500- what a steal)..didn't cover the fking lights! I discovered this the night I picked the car up and nearly s*** myself when I actually read through all the exclusions and sure effkn nuff headlamps, assemblies and a bunch of other crap excluded. While some of this is clearly my fault for not reading through everything before handing them 1300 that shady ass dealer had some set of balls hard selling me on this great b2b 100k wrap through Mazda (it was actually Allstate) but I guess its Mazda endorsed or some crap..when the only thing that came out of my mouth as cause for concern were those nice looking but finicky ass LEDs on this car! Long story short- my $ was refunded and my powertrain is still covered by Mazda out to 100k+1yr 12k b2b- and that's gonna have to do!

My Mazda dealer used to sell the Allstate warranties, they're crap. Covers stuff like brake backing plate, internal engine fasteners (bolts, nuts).....

I'm aware of the Rocker recall. Hopefully, the issue has been fixed with later production 2019 CX-5s. My April 2019 production CX-5 has no open recalls.

It is annoying that you cannot manually disable the CD, that's a dumb design. Supposedly, Sport mode will deactivate CD, but I'd like to hear a confirmation on that. But, I did a 3 year/15k/yr lease, so I'll decide whether to purchase in 3 years, should be more data by then.

For what it's worth (not much), here's Consumer Reports' reader reliability survey for the CX-5.

1ie46Pi.jpg

Surprised to see the 2014 rated the lowest. From what I've seen, I figured it would have been the 2016 which had early tranny issues plus some more changes from previous years like adding the EPB and more.

But I suppose we have had some early model issues worked out for the newer ones. \_(*)_/

Back