cx9 top speed ?

:
CX9 2017
I had a family trip not long ago where I was surprised that while driving through a long free way with all my family, suddenly I realized we were doing 180 km/h. so I rapidly lower my speed to 140 which is the average speed we use around here. ( 100 is the ridiculous speed limit) . feeling how easily the suv reaches high speed I recommend u all that be ware of the speed ur travelling from time to time.
a week later I was curious on how fast would the cx9 would be able to go. so I went alone to the free way, I saw an indicated 225 km/h in the speedometer, that speed is much more than necessary for a car like this , but further on it I got to say how relaxed and and stable it felt. looking for big brembo brakes now , cause a different story is to be at high speeds and be able to stop the car.

I had a family trip not long ago where I was surprised that while driving through a long free way with all my family, suddenly I realized we were doing 180 km/h. so I rapidly lower my speed to 140 which is the average speed we use around here. ( 100 is the ridiculous speed limit) . feeling how easily the suv reaches high speed I recommend u all that be ware of the speed ur travelling from time to time.
a week later I was curious on how fast would the cx9 would be able to go. so I went alone to the free way, I saw an indicated 225 km/h in the speedometer, that speed is much more than necessary for a car like this , but further on it I got to say how relaxed and and stable it felt. looking for big brembo brakes now , cause a different story is to be at high speeds and be able to stop the car.

your car is either drag limited or physically speed limited to roughly 225KM/h.

I agree, the speed limit on the highways here in canada is 100km/h. for some of the more open, less busy highways it is too slow.

you're wasting your money with a big-brake upgrade unless you have good performance grippy tires.

225 km/h for a 4 banger hauling a hefty 4400 lbs is I can say is very good! The V6 may just have the same topspeed range considering it is heavier.

off the topic, I do agree regarding CX-9 brakes, they could have upped the size a bit considering the weight of the vehicle (1st and 2nd gen)

225 km/h for a 4 banger hauling a hefty 4400 lbs is I can say is very good! The V6 may just have the same topspeed range considering it is heavier.

off the topic, I do agree regarding CX-9 brakes, they could have upped the size a bit considering the weight of the vehicle (1st and 2nd gen)

the v6 is going to have the same top speed because the car is drag limited.

you would need tons and tons of power to go any faster by that speed

Last edited:

Same experience here. Open highway, no one and no thing within miles of sight and suddenly I'm 108mph and it feels like 75mph in my other car. It is deceptively fast that way.

Personally, I would not push any SUV too fast. They are top heavy after all and if for any reason abrupt steering input is required or takes place, that could trigger an oscillatory response from an ever widening cycle of shifts in CG about the horizontal plane. If those don't dampen out soon, she could topple and then roll.

108 was plenty for me, personally. I won't be seeing much more of that anymore - but I was curious just like you. Of course, we all know what happens to the Cat when it gets too curious, don't we.

Disclaimer:

Porsche Cayenne GTS, BMW X5 M and Volvo XC-90R Polestar not included.

Last edited:
Same experience here. Open highway, no one and no thing within miles of sight and sudden I'm 108mph and it feels like 75mph in my other car. It is deceptively fast that way.

Personally, I would not push any SUV too fast. They are top heavy after all and if for any reason abrupt steering input is required or takes place, that could trigger an oscillatory response from an every widening cycle of shifts in CG about the horizontal plane (not the vertical plane). If those don't dampen out soon, she could topple and then roll.

108 was plenty for me, personally. I won't be seeing much more of that anymore - but I was curious just like you. Of course, we all know what happens to the Cat when it gets too curious, don't we.

Disclaimer:

Porsche Cayenne GTS, BMW X5 M and Volvo XC-90R Polestar not included.

Agree on the deceptively fast nature of CX-9; I do 85 and it feels like 55, 110 feels like 80.

Trying to get to 132 without getting 5-0 on me,

Agree on the deceptively fast nature of CX-9; I do 85 and it feels like 55, 110 feels like 80.

Weird that way. I just wasn't expecting that much smoothness from a "Mazda" SUV. I was certainly surprised. A testament to the sound deadening, suspension set-up and steering set-up that Mazda engineers put into the CX-9.

I'd have no problem with 132 on a Track in either of the three (3) above mentioned SUVs because they were designed for such "performance." That way, 5-O could sit in the stands and watch the hot lap without me worrying about them. However, I'd be hard pressed to try that in my CX-9 Sig off the Track - that's for certain.

This is my first new Mazda. I had an old RX-7 GLS-SE, but it had over 100k when I got it, but that was old school Mazda technology. I went to school as much as I could on the conceptual engineering design theory and philosophy behind the new CX-9 and learned what I could from a distance about the 'why' behind what Mazda was trying accomplish with the vehicle. Agility and a feeling of competence that causes the driver to feel like they want to drive more was the aim on the handling side of the equation. But, they had to balance that out with fuel economy and the realities of normal in-city driving that the majority of people would do, plus being able to carry 5-7 in relative comfort. Not an easy task, but I think they nailed it.

The vehicle is easy and comfortable to drive in stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic. Yet, on the weekend when I'm headed up into the hills for a day of fun and the range, it not only handles winding roads but invites you to challenge them a bit without complaining too much (no massive under-steer). I've driven other SUVs in the same price range on similar winding roads and did not feel as though the vehicle was as competent. This vehicle asks for more twisty treats. It actually likes doing it. Pretty neat for an SUV under $45K.

So, the old "Zoom Zoom" turned out not to be mere slogan. Apparently, Zoom Zoom is a real design feature. Something they actually try to accomplish. I 'liked' my CX-9 when I brought it home the first day. One month later and I'm starting to 'love' it. I have not 'loved' my daily driver in over 14 years.

Took it through a 50mph tight S-Turn yesterday. Effortless. Simple. Easy. No fuss. Gotta love that stuff.

yes that was why I was so surprised of the indicated 225kmh . still 215 kmh is more than necessary in any situation for this kind of car.

Speedometer calibrations are usually off by a few km/h but that is a decent amount you got

I agree - car is very quiet, so I find myself at 85-90 when I think I'm at 70-75. The fastest I've driven was 95 somewhere in NJ on Rt 95...

Speedometer calibrations are usually off by a few km/h but that is a decent amount you got

did it again but now with a gps, gps marked 222 km/h ... as weird as it sounds. tis amazing how stable the cx9 feels at high speeds. sustained high speed travelling feels very comfortable and extremely stable at 180km/h to 200km/h . more thatn that is silly .

did it again but now with a gps, gps marked 222 km/h ... as weird as it sounds. tis amazing how stable the cx9 feels at high speeds. sustained high speed travelling feels very comfortable and extremely stable at 180km/h to 200km/h . more thatn that is silly .
Mazda engineering at work :)

Back