June Sales - USA

Luxury brands don*t have 20% off commercials. But like Nelson stated, at least state a lease price or starting at figure.

I*m okay with Mazda moving upmarket, but outside of the automobile enthusiast crowd no one really knows that*s what they*re doing.

They need a rebranding effort ASAP.

Totally.

Luxury brands dont have 20% off commercials. But like Nelson stated, at least state a lease price or starting at figure.

Im okay with Mazda moving upmarket, but outside of the automobile enthusiast crowd no one really knows thats what theyre doing.

I agree with you. I don't expect 20% off a Mazda. But the market doesn't know who a Mazda is for. It's a confused image right now, and totally agree they need a rebranding.

I don't expect 20% off a Mazda.

I'm the only one that gets that! :)

I don't expect it, either, especially a commercial for it, so for further clarification, at least list a cheap lease for like $149/month on a 3 and $229-$249 on a CX-5, and maybe a base price. Even if some of it is a gimmick, I guess... s***, even announcing Customer Cash is more than they do now. Just say, "We are having a sale!" Something is better than nothing at all...

I am fine with Mazda going more Luxurious than Honda/Toyota.
They improved the products, but they forgot about the dealership experiences.
People who own Lexus know what that means.
From my experience, Mazda dealers are NOT above Toyota/Honda.
Not to mention that, most people still believe the latter have better overall reliability.

My two cents.

Aren't a lot of Mazda dealers closely associated with or part of Ford dealerships? Mine is. That could have a lot to do with the lousy dealer experience.

And speaking of Ford, Mazda is no doubt still paying for the damage Ford did to its reputation for reliability.

Aren't a lot of Mazda dealers closely associated with or part of Ford dealerships? Mine is. That could have a lot to do with the lousy dealer experience.

And speaking of Ford, Mazda is no doubt still paying for the damage Ford did to its reputation for reliability.

All the Mazda dealers around here aren't at all associated with Ford.

I do agree that I had that mentality about Mazda reliability before I bought mine.

Not to mention that, most people still believe the latter have better overall reliability.

My two cents.

who goes to the dealer after they purchase
except for warranty work?

My two cents.

I agree completely that Mazda needs to focus on improving the dealership experience, and the Sales Manager at the dealership I used said as much. My CX-5 purchasing experience was the worst I've had in many years. Coming from a history of BMW, Saab, Lexus, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz, I am convinced that the CX-5 is comparable to those brands in many ways, and a much better value. But I think that many buyers of those brands will not be satisfied with the type of treatment they typically receive at the more mainstream dealerships. It seems to me that once a company gets their products right, as Mazda appears to have done, the tuning of the customer experience should be relatively easy.

I also agree that Mazda's advertising is weak, at best.

Luxury brands dont have 20% off commercials. But like Nelson stated, at least state a lease price or starting at figure.

Im okay with Mazda moving upmarket, but outside of the automobile enthusiast crowd no one really knows thats what theyre doing.

Remember Amati Cars? Amati was a luxury marque planned by Mazda in early 1992. It was to begin selling in late 1993, competing with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus in the US. However, Amati had never materialized to sell any cars here.

I also agree that Mazda's advertising is weak, at best.

I don't know if the ads in the U.S. are different than here, but the Canadian ads are entirely forgettable.
In the almost two years that I've owned my 6, I have never seen an ad for the car, ever.
Not on TV, the web, posters, print media, nothing.
It's like Mazda doesn't actually want to sell this car, or tell people that it exists, but yet it's still making them. Makes no sense.

Can't blame bad reputation on reliability all to Ford. There's nothing to do with Ford on Mazda's rotary engine which carried bad reputation on reliability and fuel efficiency since it was in production. Ford had been getting shares of Mazda since 1974 which has everything to do with rotary engines which made Mazda almost bankrupted in 70's.

Can't blame bad reputation on reliability all to Ford. There's nothing to do with Ford on Mazda's rotary engine which carried bad reputation on reliability and fuel efficiency since it was in production. Ford had been getting shares of Mazda since 1974 which has everything to do with rotary engines which made Mazda almost bankrupted in 70's.

True. I bet many people just think "weird" when they hear Mazda. Rotary what?

Mazda will never compete with luxury brands as long as it has the name Mazda.

who goes to the dealer after they purchase
except for warranty work?

The experience when shopping for a new car is important as well.

When I was looking for a new car, I was looking at the Rav4 as well, the experience with my local Toyota sales team was awful, to the point that I did not go back there again and instead went to a dealer a lot further away. Deep down, it even put me slightly off the Rav4 all together, specially as my local Mazda had been great.

I think a lot of people would be put off buying a car altogether based on the the whole experience with the dealer.

I don't know if the ads in the U.S. are different than here, but the Canadian ads are entirely forgettable.
In the almost two years that I've owned my 6, I have never seen an ad for the car, ever.
Not on TV, the web, posters, print media, nothing.
It's like Mazda doesn't actually want to sell this car, or tell people that it exists, but yet it's still making them. Makes no sense.

They're forgettable here too. When I was shopping for my cx-5 I started seeing some ads for those on my phone, and recall seeing one for the 3 on TV, but it's completely non engaging, and unless you pay attention right at the end, won't even know it was for mazda to begin with.

The last commercial I remember from mazda was when they first released the Mazda cx-5. I remember the ads for the sky active technology. I wanted one, then forgot about them a few years later when I needed a car. Only reason I got the cx-5 this time around, was that I kept looking on the road for a good looking crossover and the cx-5 caught my attention, and I looked more into it, took a test drive, and was sold.

Most people who aren't car people don't even know what a rotary engine is and will absolutely think of Mazda as "Ford owns them". My director still thought this as of a few months ago until I told him otherwise.

The experience when shopping for a new car is important as well.

When I was looking for a new car, I was looking at the Rav4 as well, the experience with my local Toyota sales team was awful, to the point that I did not go back there again and instead went to a dealer a lot further away. Deep down, it even put me slightly off the Rav4 all together, specially as my local Mazda had been great.

I think a lot of people would be put off buying a car altogether based on the the whole experience with the dealer.

times have changed for most..I emailed 15 dealers and had the selling price before I even stepped on the lot. I went there for the paperwork and to pick up the vehicle. I didn't need to be "sold" by any salesperson at the dealership. There was no car buying experience, those days are long gone for me.

Sales of Mazdas are down 40% in the worlds largest car market (China) as well. Granted, all auto sales are down ~20% in China but again, Mazda is being hit harder. In talking with the automotive guys (only people on business class flying to China!) Mazda's lack of a cutting edge infotainment system in their cars probably really hurts them. They implied that companies need to substantially update their systems every year just to stay competitive. And we know Mazda is focused on the driving experience and not their technology....

times have changed for most..I emailed 15 dealers and had the selling price before I even stepped on the lot. I went there for the paperwork and to pick up the vehicle. I didn't need to be "sold" by any salesperson at the dealership. There was no car buying experience, those days are long gone for me.

Same thing for me, I used one of those sites which you enter the details of the car you want and dealers will send you offers.

But many of your average buyers wont use this sites and will still just walk into their nearest dealership. And I still wanted to go see the car before even talking about prices, and thats where your local dealership comes in handy.

Lucky for me, my local Mazda not only offered a good experience altogether, but they also matched the best offer that I had.

Hope Mazda stands up over time like our Subaru's have

We never sat in a Mazda until our daughter asked us to join her at a dealership visit for her first new car. The outcome was we were impressed with the CX-5. Several months later we waited for an end of year Dec 31 dealer visit and got a new 2018 for the same price we had negotiated for a leftover 2017. A year and a half later and we are now retiring a Subaru 1999 to add a second CX-5. Hope the cars stand up over time like our Subarus have for years.

Back