Two things holding me back

Still prefer naturally aspirated gasoline engines - less expensive components to worry at 120,000 miles ⋯ :)

Still prefer naturally aspirated gasoline engines - less expensive components to worry at 120,000 miles ⋯ :)

At 120k miles any engine failure is gonna be expensive compared to what the car will be worth rather it's NA or FI. Mine will be at least 10 years old minimum by the time that mileage comes.

You sound like my dad. "Power windows! I don't need those. One less thing to break!"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You sound like my dad. "Power windows! I don't need those. One less thing to break!"
When power windows lasted only 50,000 miles in 80's I did get a VW Jetta GLI 5-speed without power window option on purpose. Nowadays power windows are much more reliable and I have no problem to have them. But turbo charger is a different story though which needs to handle the exhaust gasses that can exceed 1,875F!

When power windows lasted only 50,000 miles in 80's I did get a VW Jetta GLI 5-speed without power window option on purpose. Nowadays power windows are much more reliable and I have no problem to have them. But turbo charger is a different story though which needs to handle the exhaust gasses that can exceed 1,875F!

My VW power windows took a poop at 3 years old. Even worse, they went out within hours of each other. Sad part is the little $.10 plastic bracket broke, motors were fine, but you had to buy the whole think bc it's attached to the motor.
$130 a piece for them...

Go out in 50k in the 80s?! My dad has a 30+ year old car with power windows, still going, no problem

If the power windows break, it should be a straightforward fix. Unlike the safety features and other computerized, sensored wizardry.

My wife had a Jetta GLX VR6 and the power windows crapped out on her too. The driver's window stopped working in the middle of a snowstorm after she rolled the window down at a drive-through. She was pissed. Not as much as when the wiper gearbox broke while she was on the highway driving in heavy rain. But probably just as pissed as when some little plastic piece fell out of place inside the fuel filler neck, so you could only trickle fuel in there at a rate of about a quart per minute. Or when a door seal came unglued on the ride home from the dealership after purchasing. Or the way the coil pack casing would crack after 50k or so, causing misfires on startup on wet days until you replaced it, only to fail again 50k later. Nice little touring car though, and I loved that VR6.

My wife had a Jetta GLX VR6 and the power windows crapped out on her too. The driver's window stopped working in the middle of a snowstorm after she rolled the window down at a drive-through. She was pissed. Not as much as when the wiper gearbox broke while she was on the highway driving in heavy rain. But probably just as pissed as when some little plastic piece fell out of place inside the fuel filler neck, so you could only trickle fuel in there at a rate of about a quart per minute. Or when a door seal came unglued on the ride home from the dealership after purchasing. Or the way the coil pack casing would crack after 50k or so, causing misfires on startup on wet days until you replaced it, only to fail again 50k later. Nice little touring car though, and I loved that VR6.

Off topic but the very first car I purchased all on my own was a 1989 Jetta GL...105 HP....BULLETPROOF! I LOVED that car and wished I had never sold it (to my cousin who promptly totaled it.) Ive owned 2 VWs since then (1999.5 Golf and 2004 Toureg) and sadly concluded that while the road manners were there, the quality was not. I had many small annoying problems that convinced me to trade in both of them before the warranty was up. That is largely what led me to Mazda in the first place. I was seeking the engaging drive of a VW with the reliability of a Toyota. I think (I hope) I found that in Mazda!

Off topic but the very first car I purchased all on my own was a 1989 Jetta GL...105 HP....BULLETPROOF! I LOVED that car and wished I had never sold it (to my cousin who promptly totaled it.) I’ve owned 2 VW’s since then (1999.5 Golf and 2004 Toureg) and sadly concluded that while the road manners were there, the quality was not. I had many small annoying problems that convinced me to trade in both of them before the warranty was up. That is largely what led me to Mazda in the first place. I was seeking the engaging drive of a VW with the reliability of a Toyota. I think (I hope) I found that in Mazda!

Well if it helps I purchased my Mazda3 S hatch in 2006 with 6 miles. Raced 5 autocrosses and won 3. And now about to trade it in with 120,000 miles on it and the only issue with it was a dirty MAF and a blown strut.

Interesting. Just quoted CX-5 and a CR-V for insurance.
The CR-V would run me an extra $150 per 6 months! Anyone know why that would be?

Interesting. Just quoted CX-5 and a CR-V for insurance.
The CR-V would run me an extra $150 per 6 months! Anyone know why that would be?

They're giving you a sign? ;)

Insurance is based on so many factors it's tough to say. Each company has their own risk profile for vehicles and safety features (I saved money on insurance by getting the iActive technology package... not sure what about it specifically though).

Adding i_active takes you from an IIHS Top Safety Pick to IIHS+ Top Safety Pick.

Last edited:

Hmm, must be a VW thing. I broke off the manual window handle on my 1984 GTI while at a toll booth, with the window down, in a torrential downpour. Luckily, mine being manual, I was able to fix it the next day simply by affixing a small pair of vice-grip pliers to the serrated knob-thingy that the handle had been attached to.

Adding i_active takes you from an IIHS Top Safety Pick to IIHS+ Top Safety Pick.

Those safety packages also cost you money. It's a good and bad thing. When I was switching insurances, I asked the guy how my cx5 had the SCBS and that it should save me further money. He said yeah that helps to save money, but at the same time those technologies are expensive to insure for obvious reasons.

Back