Spark plug change interval confusion

I've been using good old NGK BKR6E-11 copper plugs in my Integra almost as long as I've owned it, over 18 years now. I change them every 10K-15K miles. I use them because they're cheap af and conduct current better than the factory platinum plugs which were like $80 a set, or at least they used to be back in the day. Car runs perfectly, and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap them out.

However on the CX5 I'll probably go with the OE-spec NGK Iridiums. I have 92K on the car now and to my knowledge the plugs are still original.

I've been using good old NGK BKR6E-11 copper plugs in my Integra almost as long as I've owned it, over 18 years now. I change them every 10K-15K miles. I use them because they're cheap af and conduct current better than the factory platinum plugs which were like $80 a set, or at least they used to be back in the day. Car runs perfectly, and it takes all of 5 minutes to swap them out.

However on the CX5 I'll probably go with the OE-spec NGK Iridiums. I have 92K on the car now and to my knowledge the plugs are still original.

Smart man...

Yep, get the NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11. You can get 4 for around $40-$50. It's literally the same model number printed on the Mazda OEM spark plug replacements you'll pay double or more for.

True but, they haven't been touched by the MASTERS hand, a certified mechanic. On second thought, maybe you don't even get a real mechanic to change plugs at a dealership. Ed

Yep, get the NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11. You can get 4 for around $40-$50. It's literally the same model number printed on the Mazda OEM spark plug replacements you'll pay double or more for.

Exactly!

With the price of a set of new plugs costing as much $$$ as a tank of gas, I am not sure why folks are complaining about a change interval of 75k or even 40k miles...
(rolleyes)

Exactly!

With the price of a set of new plugs costing as much $$$ as a tank of gas, I am not sure why folks are complaining about a change interval of 75k or even 40k miles...
(rolleyes)
2.5T uses different spark plugs, PY8V-18-110. There's no equivalent NGK or Denso plug at this time. So it's not only short 40K-mile replacement interval, but also you're paying high price at $32.37 list each.

2.5T uses different spark plugs, PY8V-18-110. There's no equivalent NGK or Denso plug at this time. So it's not only short 40K-mile replacement interval, but also you're paying high price at $32.37 list each.

If you are buying your NGK plugs reboxed in mazda box, from a dealer for $32.37 EACH, then yes that would be a mistake. The NGK part number is listed on the OEM plug. (2thumbs)

If you are buying your NGK plugs reboxed in mazda box, from a dealer for $32.37 EACH, then yes that would be a mistake. The NGK part number is listed on the OEM plug. (2thumbs)
Re-read my post. I was saying you can't find an NGK or Denso plug for 2.5T as it uses different plug. You haver to get OEM plugs from Mazda for 2.5T which of course are expensive.

As for 2.5L, although OEM PE5R-18-110 and PE5S-18-110 plugs are made by NGK and Denso respectively, but these OEM plugs are not just re-boxed NGK or Denso plugs like you said, there's Mazda logo imprinted on ceramic insulator of the plug which costs a lot to do. ;)

Re-read my post. I was saying you can't find an NGK or Denso plug for 2.5T as it uses different plug. You haver to get OEM plugs from Mazda for 2.5T which of course are expensive.

As for 2.5L, although OEM PE5R-18-110 and PE5S-18-110 plugs are made by NGK and Denso respectively, but these OEM plugs are not just re-boxed NGK or Denso plugs like you said, there's Mazda logo imprinted on ceramic insulator of the plug which costs a lot to do. ;)

:)

I was able to use the Mazda part # for the 2.5T, and found a set of 4 plugs made by NGK for $32

If you can believe that *

Just go to official NGK website and see if you can find an NGK plug for 2019 CX-5 2.5T? Heck NGK doesn't even have one for 2016 CX-9!

Although it is not listed in the catalog, it is written on the spark plug itself, both the Mazda part#, and the OEM part number. The Mazda # is on the porcelain and the OEM # on the metal barrel where you place the socket. (cool)

Although it is not listed in the catalog, it is written on the spark plug itself, both the Mazda part#, and the OEM part number. The Mazda # is on the porcelain and the OEM # on the metal barrel where you place the socket. (cool)
If you can find PY8V-18-110 plugs for $32 a set of 4, please post the link. It'd be very helpful for many gen-2 CX-9 owners who are paying $32 each!

I just tried and couldn't find one. (uhm)

If you can find PY8V-18-110 plugs for $32 a set of 4, please post the link. It'd be very helpful for many gen-2 CX-9 owners who are paying $32 each!

I just tried and couldn't find one. (uhm)

No, you will never find the Mazda branded plugs that cheap, you will have to get the non-mazda branded ones.

The end of the Mazda PY8V-18-110 spark plug box says the NGK number is DILKAR7M8

mazda_PY8V18110_photo2-800x800.jpg

No, you will never find the Mazda branded plugs that cheap, you will have to get the non-mazda branded ones.

The end of the Mazda PY8V-18-110 spark plug box says the NGK number is DILKAR7M8
Yeah but I can't find NGK DILKAR7M8 plug anywhere in the US. It's also not listed at NGK USA website. Where did you see a set of 4 for $32?

Yeah but I can't find NGK DILKAR7M8 plug anywhere in the US. It's also not listed at NGK USA website. Where did you see a set of 4 for $32?

You are right! My mistake! I just took some time and tried, but I had no luck finding the DILKAR7M8 plugs.

When I cross ref the Mazda part number PY8V-18-110 earlier, I was sent to an ebay ad that listed the Mazda part number as an official cross. (If you want to see the number or ad, PM me, but I will not put that other number or link here, as I do not think it is the correct cross after seeing the new number on the MAZDA BOX, and I do not want to list any bad info here.)
(coffee)

I was able to see a few dealers that had the PY8V-18-110 for $22-23 each...

Last edited:
You are right! My mistake! I just took some time and tried, but I had no luck finding the DILKAR7M8 plugs.

When I cross ref the Mazda part number PY8V-18-110 earlier, I was sent to an ebay ad that listed the Mazda part number as an official cross. (If you want to see the number or ad, PM me, but I will not put that other number or link here, as I do not think it is the correct cross after seeing the new number on the MAZDA BOX, and I do not want to list any bad info here.)
(coffee)

I was able to see a few dealers that had the PY8V-18-110 for $22-23 each...
Thanks for clarification. Since the OEM plug is the only plug available for those poor gen-2 CX-9 owners, many are screaming that dealers charged them $250~$350 for spark plug service at 40K miles. Many are skipping this service at 40K miles because of the expensive OEM spark plugs.

So can you use the same CX-5 plugs for the 2.5T engine in the CX-9??? I'm on the hunt for "normal priced" plugs to get this done...

..... I just took some time and tried, but I had no luck finding the DILKAR7M8 plugs.

What a time to be alive! Unfortunately the pricing isn't any better (yet).

So can you use the same CX-5 plugs for the 2.5T engine in the CX-9??? I'm on the hunt for "normal priced" plugs to get this done...

It is the same plug yes for the 2.5 turbo engine...
PY8V-18-110 made by NGK DILKAR7M8
the problem is there still is not "normal priced" equivalent yet.

I have a note that there is a possible sub to NGK LTR6IX11 # 6509 -- but that has been unconfirmed.

*BIG update*

I called E3 today at : 904.567.5994 (this is tech support)

I gave them NGK DILKAR7M8 and they gave me their part number: E3.81

Scott at E3 said this is the direct application replacement. Now who will try it out? :)

Back