Winter Tire Upgrade...Blizzak WS80 or DM-V2?????

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I plan to replace my current Blizzak WS70's (that I have had for over 4 years now and have loved) at some point this winter and would like some feedback as to which of the WS80 or DM-V2 you would buy and why.
I know that the sidewall of the DM-V2 is a little stiffer than the WS80 and think this may give my CX-5 a harsher ride. I know that the spaces between the tread blocks of the DM-V2 are slightly larger/wider than the WS80 and therefore may give better traction in snow but may cause the DM-V2 to be a bit more noisy. FYI, I use 17" rims for my winters. Help!!!(dunno)​

I have the DMV2. They are a bit noisy turning but that's it. Fantastic in the snow. I'd buy again.

Last edited:
And WS80's on mine. Total tank in the snow. Never had the DM-V2's so can't compare.

But I'd wholeheartedly get them again...at the right price (but that's any Blizzak).

get whichever is cheaper blizzaks are very good winter tires either one.
winter tires are softer by design, dont see issues with harsh ride.
noise may be another story, but I wont bother too much.

Agree. Yes, they make a little noise when trunk ng but I think it's because mine are still like new with only one winter on them. Can't to don't with either. Deciding factor for me was the $70 factory rebate.

I believe the WS80s are for lighter vehicles while the DM-V2s are for heavier vehicles. I have DM-V2s on my CX-9, and while they can be a bit noisy on some roads (usually clean paved roads), they're excellent on the snow/slush/ice. I had WS80s on another car and thought they were just as good.

If you were happy with the traction of the WS70s, I'd stick with that line and go for the WS80s. If you want to try something that might have better traction at the cost of road noise and price, try the DM-V2s.

The tires are really similar. The WS80's are geared for many vehicles vs the DM-V2's are aimed at SUV/CUV. But both will work. The WS80's have a higher speed rating than the DM-V2's (H vs S) but you won't be driving anywhere near either rating during the winter. Looking at Tire Rack info, the DM-V2's seem to have slightly higher ratings in a few categories, but both are good overall. Both are the same price in the 17" size. If noise is an issue, go with the WS80's. If not, the DM-V2's have a slight performance edge.

Blizzak1.jpg

Blizzak2.jpg

According to CR, the DM-V2 is better at Wet Braking, Ride Comfort, and Noise. The WM80 is only better at Rolling Resistance. Overall score 68 and 67 respectively. Only the former got a Recommended rating.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 12.19.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 12.19.40 PM.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 621
OK...it would seem from the ratings in minnesotaart and COmtn's posts above that the DM-V2 is the better choice, but based on my COSTCO service rep's comments on the DM-V2 having a stiffer sidewall than the WS80 I am surprised that the DM-V2 is rated as having better ride comfort, and also, based on my observations that the spaces between the tread blocks of the DM-V2 are slightly larger than the WS80, I thought that the DM-V2 would be noisier on the open road. But not according to the ratings. Well, unless I'm missing something it would seem that the DM-V2 is the better tire especially if the price of these to models are the same.

OK...it would seem from the ratings in minnesotaart and COmtn's posts above that the DM-V2 is the better choice, but based on my COSTCO service rep's comments on the DM-V2 having a stiffer sidewall than the WS80 I am surprised that the DM-V2 is rated as having better ride comfort, and also, based on my observations that the spaces between the tread blocks of the DM-V2 are slightly larger than the WS80, I thought that the DM-V2 would be noisier on the open road. But not according to the ratings. Well, unless I'm missing something it would seem that the DM-V2 is the better tire especially if the price of these to models are the same.

They're both snow tires. They are both gonna suck for noise and handling on a dry road. I suppose it's which one sucks less?

As snow tires, either will serve you fine for it's intended purpose of snow and ice and personally I'd get whichever is cheaper.

Last edited:
They're both snow tires. They are both gonna suck for noise and handling on a dry road. I suppose it's which one sucks less?

As snow tires, either will serve you fine for it's intended purpose of snow and ice and personally I'd get whichever is cheaper.

I've run Altimax Arctics, Blizzaks, Firestone Winterforce 2, and Continental Winter contacts snow tires. The Continentals are like all seasons, really quiet and smooth, fantastic grip on ice and snow. The noisiest and roughest are the Firestones, they drive like you're going over dirt.

Think his point was more: you'll be happy with either.
Make a damn decision... Going to be Spring before you finally do! [emoji28][emoji1787]

Think his point was more: you'll be happy with either.
Make a damn decision... Going to be Spring before you finally do! [emoji28][emoji1787]

Just as I was about to bite the bullet with the DM-V2's I asked a COSTCO tech to check the tread depth on my WS70's that I have had for over 4 years on my recently traded 2014 CX-5. He said I had over 60% of the tread left so why would I update now. I have decided to wait until the spring when I'm ready to do my summer tire change over and look for a sale on the DM-V2's then. Thanks for all the input.

Just as I was about to bite the bullet with the DM-V2's I asked a COSTCO tech to check the tread depth on my WS70's that I have had for over 4 years on my recently traded 2014 CX-5. He said I had over 60% of the tread left so why would I update now. I have decided to wait until the spring when I'm ready to do my summer tire change over and look for a sale on the DM-V2's then. Thanks for all the input.

Blizzak uses a dual compound tread, actually has two sets of wear bars. The top layer of compound is actually what is beneficial for winter use, it's softer and has more bite for ice and snow. Once you get past this compound you have virtually an all-season. You may be at 60% but may be nearing the end of the "good" rubber.

You may be at 60% but may be nearing the end of the "good" rubber.

Good point. I must check with COSTCO over the coming months for possible tread wear below 60% so I can be ready to bite the bullet on a new set of Blizzak's should they come up in an end of season sale.

Back