2010 cx-9 heat shield falling off

Njsarge

:
2010 CX-9 Grand Touring
The large heat shield that runs along the middle of the vehicle near the drivetrain started to fall off. Seems to have rusted in a couple of places. It was rubbing on the rear drive shaft whenever you made a hard left turn. My local mechanic was able to hang it back up while changing the oil. Has anyone had this fall off completely? Did you replace it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just yesterday I had another of the rivets fail, the 2nd one. the first time I used a zip tie to secure it. that one is fine still. for this one, I used a little screw and nut. I expect the remaining rivets will also fail in due time.

since the shield is not failing, just the rivets holding it on, I don't think the shield will ever fall off completely.

The large heat shield that runs along the middle of the vehicle near the drivetrain started to fall off. Seems to have rusted in a couple of places. It was rubbing on the rear drive shaft whenever you made a hard left turn. My local mechanic was able to hang it back up while changing the oil. Has anyone had this fall off completely? Did you replace it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My mechanic just re-attached mine on my '12 last week--it was loose. It didn't fall off though.

its ridiculously easy to do this yourself; I can slide under the car without jacking it up, and it will be obvious what is wrong. very easy fix.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to put my experience in. :) I was just driving home from vacation tonight...and rattle rattle smack smack. Something went wrong. I pulled over and slid under the car...i could kick the heatshield up with my foot. Imma wait until morning to see what the deal is. Hopefully zip ties will hold :) wish me luck

Back