Daytime running lights dim/flickering

Well, count me in as another 16 GT with this issue. My wife noticed our passenger side DRL went out. Not looking forward to dealing with this. Is it even worth contacting Mazda?
I think in the 2 years I've been on this site I have seen only one story where contacting the dealer resulted in nothing. Most people get big discounts reaching out to Mazda. So...yea

I think in the 2 years I've been on this site I have seen only one story where contacting the dealer resulted in nothing. Most people get big discounts reaching out to Mazda. So...yea

Has anyone experienced this problem on a 2017 model year?

When did this become a known issue? As in, timeframe in relation to year of production/purchase?
I'm aware this issue since the beginning of this thread, October 2016, when OP arunka007 and few others reported the failing LED DRLs on 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package. I then noticed Mazda was coming out different revisions on LED headlights based on part numbers from original "A" version all the way to the latest "J" version which is available only after the end of 2016 MY production. This indicates it's a design issue, not just a batch of bad parts got introduced into assembly. Basically every 2016 CX-5 will have this issue, and the production started in December 2014 until December 2015. It may also include some early 2016.5 CX-5's with Tech as long as they don't have the latest "H" or "J" version LED headlights.

I was driving behind a recently-waxed black Silverado and noticed my driver-side DRL is very dim compared to the passenger-side. I checked it out at home and found the driver-side DRL is very dim and also flickering, while the passenger-side is very bright and steady. Since the car is covered under warranty, I took it to the Mazda stealer. They said the entire LED headlight module will have to be replaced under warranty and asked me to come back in a week so that they can order and receive the parts before the appointment.

Have any of you had this problem? I really like the LED lights and thought the tech package was a steal for the price. But if it fails so soon and if I have to replace the whole module whenever there's a failure, I am concerned.

Got the passenger side replaced with an "H" model last week. Dealer/Mazda covered the cost of the part out of warranty. Dealer charged me $65 in labor. I'm content with it, but wondering when/if the driver side will fail.

Got the passenger side replaced with an "H" model last week. Dealer/Mazda covered the cost of the part out of warranty. Dealer charged me $65 in labor. I'm content with it, but wondering when/if the driver side will fail.

Is there any difference in layout and color in the H-model?

The issue is only with the LED running lights/LED adaptive/swiveling headlight units on 2016s. They were just offered for the one, long model year, and then the 2017 was the new body. You can get the GT without that option, which was part of the Tech package. Before 2016, the adaptive lights were HID and had the conventional incandescent round running lights.

My (European) CX5 with Tech package from 2015 has adaptive leds KA1F-51-040C, but on the driver's site the DRL has started flickering. So I'm unlucky?

Welp, got it done. The beam height was a bit off but otherwise, things went ok. That was easily adjusted. Doesn't seem any other adjustments/setup was required.

Is it possble to correct the beam height by yourself, or has it to be done by Mazda?

When did this become a known issue? As in, timeframe in relation to year of production/purchase?

When I brought my 2016 CX-5 GT in a year ago with the headlight issue the woman who wrote it up said that I was not the first she had seen. I don't have that car anymore so I'm not sure of the build date. It was not a 2016.5. It was early in the model year. I'm just glad it happened under warranty.

Add another one to the list. Driver's side DRL went out at the end of July, vehicle is a 2016 GT with about 26K on the clock. Dealer replaced it under warranty, in fact I was running errands when I noticed it and called them from the car. They had a unit in stock and happened to have an appointment open. I was in/out in under 2 hours from noticing that it was out which was pretty darned good.

For maximum irony, just one week prior to this I had decided to buy out my lease and take an extended warranty out to 8 years / 100K miles. Lighting coverage was something that I insisted on. Albeit this instance was covered under the original factory warranty, I'll sleep better knowing that I'm covered against a $1,300 timebomb.

I wanted to add another data point for those having (or who will have) this problem.

Yesterday, at 46k miles, the passenger side DRLs started flickering and went extremely dim. That makes both units gone on a vehicle that's < 4 years old. I'm about to start working with Mazda on it - they've gone through what, 9 revisions of this unit? I did take out an extended warranty that will cover it, and if I have to claim on it then I will, but I don't see why the warranty company should foot the bill when this is a known problem.

I wanted to add another data point for those having (or who will have) this problem.

Yesterday, at 46k miles, the passenger side DRLs started flickering and went extremely dim. That makes both units gone on a vehicle that's < 4 years old. I'm about to start working with Mazda on it - they've gone through what, 9 revisions of this unit? I did take out an extended warranty that will cover it, and if I have to claim on it then I will, but I don't see why the warranty company should foot the bill when this is a known problem.
Yes, from no suffix, A, B all the way up to the latest J version on part numbers and from fiber optic style to cheapo LEDs in dot matrix style. ;)

Just discovered the passenger side drl led is out on my '16 with 56k miles. I bought an extended warranty from Mazda. Going to take the car in to dealer and will report back

Just discovered the passenger side drl led is out on my '16 with 56k miles. I bought an extended warranty from Mazda. Going to take the car in to dealer and will report back
Not surprised about failing LED DRLs from 2016 CX-5's. Please report back after your dealer visit.

Hello friends, I am an owner of a vehicle Mazda CX-5 from 2016. My headlights are "D" series.

I am also a participant and active member of several forums in Spain (clubmazdacx5.com, clubmazda.es), and we are very concerned with this issue because Mazda Corporation is not giving us assistance to this problem.

When the fault occurs within warranty the headlight is replaced for free but if it is out of warranty no hat
and repair and we have to pay for a new headlights.

We think that if MAZDA has not foreseen in the design of the headlight the possibility of replacing an LED (as it does with the light bulbs) it is because it considers that the useful life of these elements goes far beyond the useful life of the car (implied warranty for life) and therefore if this is not fulfilled it is MAZDA who must carry the consequence and replace the complete headlight at his expense. Especially when there is such a disproportion between the value of a simple led and that of the complete headlights.

Some workshops (garage) in Barcelona have begun to satisfactorily repair the damaged headlights, so you do not have to pay Mazda.

One question please: Can any owner assure that some headlights of the D series has already had the damage ?. We have only heard damage in series C.

Thank you very much for the help and support.

Last edited:
There is a KE 2012-2017 and a KF 2017 on which I presume you are talking about. I haven*t heard of any KFs with problems but they are only just three years old. I believe Mazda are accepting warranty claims out of warranty in some locations for this problem.

There is a KE 2012-2017 and a KF 2017 on which I presume you are talking about. I haven*t heard of any KFs with problems but they are only just three years old. I believe Mazda are accepting warranty claims out of warranty in some locations for this problem.

Thanks a lot @Anchorman. Thanks for your help.

There are many models (KE) (like my vehicle) with D series headlights with just over three years old.
Here in Spain Mazda Corp. does not accepting claims the replacement out of warranty although is a failure of the factory. Only free repair the factory fault if it occurs within warranty. clubmazdacx5.com

So, Is there any owner with damage D series headlights? We have only heard damage in the C series. (dunno)

2016 Mazda CX-5 - Problems, Statistics, and Analysis

Last edited:
Unofficial survey watching cars on the way home. You know who doesn't do DRLs? Ford. By a huge margin. Roughly 4 out of 5 newer cars I saw without them were Ford. Geez, Ford...get on the stick! Lol
Yep, LED's only on the upper models. My relatively loaded '17 XLT F-150 has halogen bulbs. That's on a $50,000 vehicle, too.

Back