California Exhaust Law has changed- for the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ad for a stock honda civic muffler up top in this thread lol.

Chris, I doubt your car would meet an emissions test due to everything that has gone on upstream of the exhaust but unless you didnt change anything on the exhaust that made it louder than designed then you would violate the law we are talking about. Let me stress, this is not personal, Im more concerned about whet goes on my street than what you get up to wherever you are. To that extent my peace is disturbed and I would welcome that law here although I doubt well ever get it and if we did weve got no cops to enforce it.

Where you do effect me (along with probably millions globally) is that when you make uncontrolled modifications to your engine and tuning, you alter its emissions. Over here cars have an annual test that measures emissions but its not hard to find a station where the car enthusiast owner will fiddle it. Not sure what happens in the US even if a test exists but if it does then your car will not pass it. These laws are not a gimmick, they are designed to clean up the atmosphere for future generations and its a selfish act to flout them. Another point about me, Im not a tree hugger do gooder, Im just wary that we cannot go on raping the earth.

I spent 17 years doing legal brake testing and approvals on brakes and within that test environment you get involved in whole vehicle testing. You cannot alter anything on the wheels or suspension without changing the vehicle dynamics. Any changes to the brakes are guess work unless they have been put through extensive static and dynamic testing not just to measure performance but the effects of weight transfer on tyre adhesion - that links back to suspension again.

When a local law to target modified cars is introduced, it considers these aspects so what it aims to do is restrict these vehicle to events and meets as you suggest. The way to conform is to have the car taken to the event on a trailer and not under its own power. Of course there has to be that concession because under the time constraints, your car would make little difference and everybody gets a chance and we all get to see classic and vintage cars and steam trains and things of that nature.

I maintain that running such a daily driver increases the risk of an accident and is selfish in terms of noise and emissions. I will not do it but were all different. I applaud California for taking steps to address it and I hope it sets a president for the rest of the world.

One other thing as a side note. I dont think it is necessary to lash out on other non related subjects like trans gender, religion and guns. They are nothing to do with this subject.

attachment.php
[/IMG]

Chris gets it...

Sad part is they won*t do s*** to the Harley*s that are 3x as loud and obnoxious. All they*ll do is pick on the ricer kids with the fart cannons (I dislike and laugh at them too). It*s like the stereo laws here, they write ridiculous tickets (tried to give me one one time for a stock stereo) while the Harley rattled your windows from a mile away catching a smile and wave from the popo...

I think Chris* car would pass emission, but even if it won*t, the damn Obnoxious Harleys with big cams and straight pipes won*t...

Cali, ha, we don*t even have emissions in my state, racing cats or straight pipes for everyone...lol

I thought this was going to be about emissions. It's more about modified exhaust systems that are more than 95 dbl. Hell, I'm for it. Less of these kids driving round in 1998 Honda Civics with fart can mufflers that are loud as hell.

I think my OEM z06 was around 100dB.

I understand where Chris is coming from. Colorado is quickly turning into another California state where legislators who don't know jack s*** about what they legislate decide they know better than you and me. The People's Republic of Boulder as we call it was funny for a while, but is spreading.

I get what Chris is saying. Do we need a law for everything under the sun? There's a reason California is an expensive state to live and its funny seeing states trying to be like California becoming more expensive to live in every day (unless its your state :( )

Anchorman, emission testing vary by state. My CX-5 is exempt from any kind of testing for 7 years from when I bought it. California on the other hand is one of the more if not most strict states.

Last edited:
Did it have a butterfly valve? I personally think they*re quiet, even at WOT, and probably in the low 90s.

You're right, it's only 92dB. I had to track it down. Yes, it had butterfly valves that bypassed the mufflers. It was worth about 20-30whp when they opened and you could feel it.

I got involved with California legislation once. We got information about a study on fish in the Bay Area. They found high levels of heavy metals in fish. They determined that one of the sources was wear debris from brake pads and when you think, it must end up somewhere. The knock on effect was a global reduction in friction materials of heavy metals like copper, lead and antimony. They were right. Thirty years later the same tests show virtually no contamination of fish samples. I don*t know if restrictions were imposed as a result of other sources of contamination.

LOL
The mention amendment was for the purpose to be used for the serious offender's of loud exhaust systems which includes any registered and operated on roads and highway in CA any and all vehicles. You can naturally challenge any vehicle violation citation in court. Having sit in on many Traffic Court sessions some thing like defending a load exhaust generally does not go well for the person trying to plead their case. So Good Luck with that!

About the one really thing funny read is how some think that a CA Law Officer writing the vehicle violation determines what the fine will be. ROLMAO.
REALLY! hahahahaha!
Also having applied for approved and received and also rejected a few C.A.R.B. certificates for parts , people posting information about what it is and what its intended for should at least research ALL the information and get an actual C.A.R.B. certificates application to read before posting emotional thoughts what they think it is and does. LOL
While I am a GEAR HEAD, HOT RODDER, have owned shops that I designed and engineered performance parts that I could not even legally sell in my own STATE without a disclaimer that basically said FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY etc., and really dislike many of the CA laws having to do with vehicle modding restrictions , they are in fact laws and unless I want to break the LAW I must comply or write my States governing powers to change those law.
If you don't like the laws in the state you live and don't want to try to get them changed or for that matter this COUNTRY, fricken move or leave!

Last edited:
this new law is ridiculous.
we're 10 days into the year and I've already had friends being cited under this new law since it is so subjective. I've seen mention of the 95db limit but current law enforcement isn't being trained or given any additional tools to actually measure the exhaust.
Cars are being cited for having a LEGAL catback exhaust (all emission equipment unaltered and installed on vehicles) and they are being referred to a state referee for this. They can't even go to their local police department to have this signed off on.

Really Ca? We don't have more pressing matters than to pull over cars with this? California already has THE MOST strict emission laws in the entire country so anyone saying this is good because it's citing cars that aren't adhering to current emission standards is just being foolish.
This is a money grab by the state, plain and simple.

It also is going to be completely biased in how it's enforced.
I'd wager any sum of money that high end Porche's, BMW's, etc with modified exhausts get pulled over at a much lower rate than imports. Motorcycles? ha! No one is pulling over a Harley due to this, despite the fact that they're obnoxiously loud gross polluters. Way to go California, way to go. *golf clap*

Can we please keep politics out of this and all threads.

+1
But you're talking to the moderator, so good luck.
Did you notice he was writing these rants in the middle of the night? Might have something to do with his intensity. He's usually a man of fewer words.
That's not to say he didn't make some valid points, but this forum isn't the place to be making them.

We can't shy away from discourse simply under the guise of avoiding politics. I get this is an automotive forum and that needs to be / should be the primary topic of our discussions but this is a law that affects many automotive owners and enthusiasts which came about through the politics of the California senate. Unfortunately the politicis of this are forever intertwined with the law itself.

Besides, what's wrong with posting at all hours of the night? I do it all the time over at the 8club. Heck, even my employees know I'm up sending emails well before any of them are awake. Those are the hours I do my best work. :D

You're right. Ultimately everything is political. And it's important to discuss the specifics. But talking about political "philosophy" is inappropriate here. It's a fine line, but one that is almost always respected on this board.

There's nothing "wrong" with doing anything at night. But when people are tired or stressed or [whatever is keeping them from sleeping], their thoughts and actions are affected.

we're 10 days into the year and I've already had friends being cited under this new law since it is so subjective. I've seen mention of the 95db limit but current law enforcement isn't being trained or given any additional tools to actually measure the exhaust.
Cars are being cited for having a LEGAL catback exhaust (all emission equipment unaltered and installed on vehicles) and they are being referred to a state referee for this. They can't even go to their local police department to have this signed off on.

Really Ca? We don't have more pressing matters than to pull over cars with this? California already has THE MOST strict emission laws in the entire country so anyone saying this is good because it's citing cars that aren't adhering to current emission standards is just being foolish.

I'd wager any sum of money that high end Porche's, BMW's, etc with modified exhausts get pulled over at a much lower rate than imports. Motorcycles? ha! No one is pulling over a Harley due to this, despite the fact that they're obnoxiously loud gross polluters. Way to go California, way to go. *golf clap*

That Commiefornia for ya.

As I said in another thread, good luck enforcing that law once people start fighting it in court. If they're not measuring sound pressure with a calibrated machine at a specified distance, they've got no evidence. Just like radar.
Still, if they stop you for it, you pay even if you beat it.

No, it is not meant as a money grab, but rather as a deterrent. You could make the case, as you have, that it is designed to target specific ethnic and economic classes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back