2017~2024 Color Paralysis

Personally, Eternal Blue is probably the one Mazda color I really don't like at all. The Deep Blue on the other hand looks pretty sharp. Almost looks black until you look at it closer.

I do miss when they had the Sky and Stormy Blues. Those were great blues in my opinion and I'm disappointed they replaced it with Eternal Blue.

Hi There,
I am picking out my CX-5 GT and for some reason can't pull the trigger on an exterior color decision. I initially wanted to get the Crystal Blue with Parchment leather but I have decided to go with black leather as I hike a lot and have two dogs and tend to keep my cars for a long time and don't have a lot of time to stay up on the cleaning.

So.. does anyone here have Crystal Blue? How about Eternal Blue? How do you like them? How are they wearing? I am hesitant to pay for a premium color but I am considering the Grey.
Don't read much about folks going with Silver this model year.

Thanks for you thoughts!

My girlfriend has whatever the dark blue is called in a 2016 and with a fresh polish and wax job it is a site to see no doubt. I maintain it as well as I can given the time and it's doing well.

I have a 2016 meteor grey and I think it looks fantastic when it's clean. The meteor grey hides dirt and spots fairly well. Silver should do a better job but I think I but wouldn't have as reflective of a look when compared to a darker color.

If you have less time and experience with detailing I'd go for a lighter color. Darker if you're going to maintain it regularly and understand how to clay bar and polish the paint. They do make pretty much idiot proof polishers these days with polishes that are easy to use.

I personally love my meteor grey with tinted windows. I think the red would be an awesome color to have as well.

I was in the same boat for the longest time. I thought I had decided finally on SRC (it's gorgeous) but after a few months of speaking with various dealers before pulling the trigger on the car, it was clear the red was the most popular new colour. It would be interesting to somehow see the #s, but my suspicion is that most new 2017s here are going to be SRC, and I didn't want to be another one of them. In a year or two we'll see if I made a wise choice.

Its popularity aside, I might have hesitated on it due to how much black plastic is on the CX-5. The colour is amazing, but there was something about its contrast with so much black... the combo somehow seemed too stark. Haha, I dunno. That one is hard to put into words.

I ended up with Machine Grey, which apparently uses the same new paint process as SRC. And in the sunlight it does that same light/creamy colour switch that the red does.

It would have been good to have some more colour choices, though. If there was a blue I liked, I would have seriously considered it.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but red didn't seem that popular on the Gen 1 CX-5s. I drive by multiple Gen 1 CX-5s on my commute every day and black is the most common by far, followed by white, and then the other colors in roughly equal proportion (except Titanium Flash Mica which I never see). On the other hand, the 3s and 6s are always either black or SRC.

Colors are hard with the 2017 CX-5. There's no way that red can deal with dust, same with black, dark blue and the metallic gray, especially the gray. The Silver is really shiny. I miss the older silver. This leaves white and blue. I already have a government job so white is out. That leaves the mica blue which I kind of like but blue is, man, it's blue.

When you show up at the dealer they won't have all of the colors (one dealer around here had 3 of them in stock across all 3 trims), unless it's a larger dealership, so I wound up searching online with dealer websites. They do their own pictures of the car and it helps to get a more real picture. That red, which I still haven't seen in real life, looks a lot different in those photos than it does in the official ones from Mazda. And the gray, man it goes off-kilter in anything but a perfect picture, but I gotta admit, in the perfect picture it's pretty damn amazing.

If I was going to get a 2017, and I still teeter a tiny bit on the totter, the only real choice is the Silver. Sad! I blame CNN.

Mazda's stock photos make SRC look like it has more metallic flake than I see in real life. And some of the auto show photos look almost Ferrari red, but in real life it's more of a candy red.

The machine gray looks awesome on the lot when it's freshly cleaned and polished, but once the shine wears off it looks like every other metallic gray. A coworker bought a CX-9 in that color, and after a couple of months, it started looking very ordinary. But ti does hide dirt/dust well, like the silver.

My last car was silver and I could never find it in a parking lot. But seriously, this Red turns heads like no other.

Silver then grey in that order are probably best colours to get if you want to get away with less washing etc

I have a 2016 in Deep Crystal Blue with parchment interior. I love it - and it still manages to take my breath away when the sunlight hits it - like a sea of sapphires (yes)

The interior is still beautiful, but I don't have little kids at home, just one golden retriever - and I use a back seat cover for her.

I had no problem making a color decision on this one. Once I saw it, I was sold.

I have had some black cars, and the soul red crystal is no easier to maintain than black. It looks great when it's clean, but even the slightest bit of dirt shows almost as bad as black, and I swear scratches/smudges/swirl marks show up even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also find the Eternal Blue to be a bit of a chameleon as it looks different in different light and shade and environments. I even see a hint of purple in it in the right lighting. This color also looked much different in person than it did from any color I saw on websites.

That is what attracted me to the color! I love it's complexity and how it looks different in different lights.

I had the deep crystal blue in my 2014 Mazda 6 and loved it, just got a 2017 one and found it difficult to choose a new colour (didn't want to get the same as people would not know it's a new car lol!) So went for the machine grey, and it is fantastic!!!

This is all a bit subjective, tbh :)

FWIW, I have owned every colour under the sun at some stage and am on my third white car because I have found white to be the easiest to maintain.

What I have noticed is that you US folk only get the option of Snowflake White Pearl (which looks like off-white IMHO) and is not as striking as the Arctic White on my 2016.5 when both are parked side-by-side.

Back