(Almost) new 2019 CX-9 GT owner

omgitsmike

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 GT
Just put down the deposit on a 2019 CX-9 GT! Ended up getting the classic black exterior/black interior combo. Unfortunately, its going to be a couple of weeks before Ill get it. Apparently they have to train it in from somewhere else to Toronto, my guess being somewhere out in BC.

I had been shopping against the Tiguan, Santa Fe, Pilot, Sorrento, Highlander, etc. I had it narrowed down to the Santa Fe vs the CX-9, but once I brought the wife in for a back to back test drive, it wasnt even close. The CX-9 was pricier, yes, but for us represented clearly better value over the SF. The only thing Ill miss about the SF, and really really wish was available on the CX-9, is the pano sunroof.

All in all Im very happy about my choice and excited to get my hands on it. I love the looks, the drive, and how it feels sitting in the cabin. On paper the SF offered more features for the money, but the way the CX-9 made me feel looking at it, sitting in it and driving it was a whole other thing.

Im starting to shop for:
- roof racks - thinking of getting the OEM flush side rails, and then getting Thule/Yakima cross bars.
- floor mats - probably going with WeatherTech front and 2nd row mats
- winter tires - thinking of going down to 18s, basic black steel rims and maybe the Motomaster Winter Edge (local Canadian brand)

Any advice on what to look for when receiving, or on the stuff Im looking to buy above? Thanks!

Congrats! I was in the same boat about 2 weeks ago. I also was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Santa Fe. And I also would have liked the pano roof. I was comparing it to a CX5. But the rear seating area seemed very tight. I went with a Dk Blue 19 Cx9 GT w/ black leather. I added the factory cross bars which cost about 170 and pretty easy to install, I also added factory mud flaps, trailer hitch and factory trailer harness and a compustart remote eng8ne Starr and drone module. I can honestly say I am ver6 happy with this vehicle. Enjoy the new ride and best of luck with it.

Congratulations! I got the 3D MAXpider floor mats and really like them. Thinner and less rubbery but still works. The really look nice as well.

I had the Husky all weather rubber mats in my CX-5 and they actually fit on the CX-9 ( go figure). They are a bit cheaper than weather tech but just as good in my opinion. I got the OEM cross bars for the roof rack. Thule Force medium box fits fine. I got the OEM mud flaps to keep the rock chips off the rocker panels. Deciding on whether to put a clear bra on it this week.

I looked hard at the Santa Fe as well but the new front and rear styling blew it for me. Having those headlights that low seen like a bad idea and it looks like the Griswold mobile. CX-9 is a very classy vehicle. Certainly the best looking best driving of the bunch. Interior space is a bit lacking but we are small 2 adults with some dogs so it's enough.

Thanks all!

I was very close to springing for the OEM cross bars, but then I noticed there's a curvature on them. One of the primary things I'll use the roof rack for is moving sheet goods and lumber for home projects, so OEM was a no-go.

Has anyone downsized for winter tires?

Two nitpicks I have with the car so far (having owned it for negative 2 weeks lol) is 1) aforementioned lack of pano moonroof and 2) the parking cameras seem to be terrible, terrible quality. I've never seen a worse looking 360 either.

Thanks all!

I was very close to springing for the OEM cross bars, but then I noticed there's a curvature on them. One of the primary things I'll use the roof rack for is moving sheet goods and lumber for home projects, so OEM was a no-go.

Two nitpicks I have with the car so far (having owned it for negative 2 weeks lol) is 1) aforementioned lack of pano moonroof and 2) the parking cameras seem to be terrible, terrible quality. I've never seen a worse looking 360 either.

I won't miss a pano roof. They just don't get used that much by us. They also add weight and there have been cases of the exposing and shattering. I wouldn't ever use a 360 camera but the rear view camera should be better on this car with lines that move laterally. I'd rather have a right hand mirror that tilts down when in reverse for parking. Mazda should also have remote start standard by now and the door handles should unlock when you grab the handle (not having to press the button) Other than that there's not much I would change on this car. Maybe some beefier exhaust tips that fit the car's size better. Hood could be held up by hydraulics and not a prop rod at this price point. Only 2 weeks and 1000 miles and really liking it. If you have to have one of these types of vehicles and like to really drive this is a good one.

Congratulations! I got the 3D MAXpider floor mats and really like them. Thinner and less rubbery but still works. The really look nice as well.

I'm in Canada as well, and I got those floor mats for this winter for my 6.
Got them through Amazon (Canada), and they fit perfectly and look great. 2 day delivery free.

Just put down the deposit on a 2019 CX-9 GT! Ended up getting the classic black exterior/black interior combo. Unfortunately, it*s going to be a couple of weeks before I*ll get it. Apparently they have to train it in from somewhere else to Toronto, my guess being somewhere out in BC.

I had been shopping against the Tiguan, Santa Fe, Pilot, Sorrento, Highlander, etc. I had it narrowed down to the Santa Fe vs the CX-9, but once I brought the wife in for a back to back test drive, it wasn*t even close. The CX-9 was pricier, yes, but for us represented clearly better value over the SF. The only thing I*ll miss about the SF, and really really wish was available on the CX-9, is the pano sunroof.

All in all I*m very happy about my choice and excited to get my hands on it. I love the looks, the drive, and how it feels sitting in the cabin. On paper the SF offered more features for the money, but the way the CX-9 made me feel looking at it, sitting in it and driving it was a whole other thing.

I*m starting to shop for:
- roof racks - thinking of getting the OEM flush side rails, and then getting Thule/Yakima cross bars.
- floor mats - probably going with WeatherTech front and 2nd row mats
- winter tires - thinking of going down to 18*s, basic black steel rims and maybe the Motomaster Winter Edge (local Canadian brand)

Any advice on what to look for when receiving, or on the stuff I*m looking to buy above? Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase!

With roof racks, purchasing OEM or aftermarket on your own usually ends up being cheaper than buying from the dealer (unless you can get them thrown in for free).

For floor mats, I really like the OEM "premium" ones that Canadians are able to get. That said, they are pricey. You really can't go wrong with any of the floor mat brands suggested so far, I've heard good things about all of them.

For winter tires, going down to 18s is a good idea, but I would spring a bit more for alloys. Black steel wheels are heavy as hell and will likely rust over a couple of years. Canadian Tire, Kal-Tire, and Costco usually offer some really cheap alloys. The lighter wheels will let you squeeze a tiny bit of extra mileage out of the car. For tires, I have the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 tires and absolutely love them on the CX-9. Costco was running a promo for a $50 rebate when I bought mine in the fall, and another member was able to get a $70 rebate. Regarding the Winter Edge tires, apparently Cooper produces them for Motomaster/Canadian Tire, so I wouldn't mind giving them a shot either. Apparently Blizzak WS80s are cheaper, but not recommended for larger SUVs like the CX-9, Pilot, Highlander, etc.

If you're interested in any other minor mods, check out my signature for a few DIYs, and don't be shy with the questions! We're a pretty friendly bunch.

EDIT: Also, depending on who you ask, it might be a good idea to clay bar and wax the entire car as soon as you get it. This is just because rail dust gets on the car during transit. Another thing as well, make sure you double check the tire pressure on all of your tires. When these cars come in off the boat, the tire pressures are high. When the cars go through the PDI (pre-delivery inspection), the tire pressures are supposed to be adjusted, but for quite a few of us (myself included), that was not the case.

Last edited:
Thanks all!

Didn*t downsize to the 18s on my *17 Sig instead I replaced the OEMs with Nokian WRG3 SUV all-weather tires (winter rated) using the OEM 20* rims...tires perform better than the Falkens in winter though not as great as a fully dedicated winter set but at least I don*t have to deal with any tire swapping twice a year...congrats btw on your purchase!

How do others feel the Falkens do in heavy rain? We had a rare deluge last night in Phoenix on the freeway I can't say the car felt as planted as expected and noticed some pretty severe hydroplaning ( 65 mph). I know that no tire is perfect in that much rain but are these supposed to be on par with some of the other premium all season tires?

How do others feel the Falkens do in heavy rain? We had a rare deluge last night in Phoenix on the freeway I can't say the car felt as planted as expected and noticed some pretty severe hydroplaning ( 65 mph). I know that no tire is perfect in that much rain but are these supposed to be on par with some of the other premium all season tires?

Interestingly enough, my wife and I went thru a deluge on our way to and back from Annapolis. I drove to Annapolis and she drove back, while we saw some cars pulled off to the side, we both felt the our Bridgestone Ecopia tires held up quite well. We didn't experience any hydroplaning or steering lost. I would check your air pressure to ensure the tires are correctly inflated to proper levels. I know my tires are a different brand, but I thought I would at least provide our experiences.

Next, to check the tires snow capabilities...status pending.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I don't have my CR list of SUV All-season tire ratings in front of me but in the truck category, the following are rated highest for hydroplaning resistance:
Pirelli Scorpion Verde
Michelin Defender LTX
Cooper Discoverer

Tops overall is the Continental Cross Contact LX20

The OEM Falkens do not get great reviews from what I read on the Tire Rack site from CX-9 owners. Some say they were shot at 25k miles and that they are lacking in wet weather. They are not included in any "best of" lists for SUV tires. The tread wear rating is a low 300 so I'll be happy if I get 35k out if them before they really start to go. Mazda could have found a better tire for their "flagship".

Actually, short-life tires as OEM are very common throughout the automotive industry. Every new vehicle we've had throughout the last 15 years has required replacement tires well before 30,000 miles. My Mazda3 needed tires at 20,000 miles. My wife's Lexus RX400h needed them at about the same mileage. The aftermarket tires are often much longer lasting if they are all-season.

The OEM Falkens do not get great reviews from what I read on the Tire Rack site from CX-9 owners. Some say they were shot at 25k miles and that they are lacking in wet weather. They are not included in any "best of" lists for SUV tires. The tread wear rating is a low 300 so I'll be happy if I get 35k out if them before they really start to go. Mazda could have found a better tire for their "flagship".

I know Discount Tires gives credit for slightly used tires if a new set of tires are bought. Ive done it once on our 2010 CX-9 and once on another one of our cars. Also a set of replacement certificates can be negotiated into the deal which would cover the warranty lost on the Falkens. Discount also includes lifetime rotations and balancing on the tires. Tires are an important part of a vehicle, so if theres questionable confidence on the Falkens, this might be an option. I would wait for one of their promotions to come around. They usually run them around a holiday long weekend.

I know Discount Tires gives credit for slightly used tires if a new set of tires are bought. I*ve done it once on our 2010 CX-9 and once on another one of our cars. Also a set of replacement certificates can be negotiated into the deal which would cover the warranty lost on the Falkens. Discount also includes lifetime rotations and balancing on the tires. Tires are an important part of a vehicle, so if there*s questionable confidence on the Falkens, this might be an option. I would wait for one of their promotions to come around. They usually run them around a holiday long weekend.

Thanks for the info. I like discount tire and did not know they had that option. To their credit the Falkens are pretty quiet on this car so far (6000 miles) but I have a feeling there are other's that will improve an already smooth ,quiet ride.

I used Discount for a take-off trade of the Bridgestones for a set of Michelin Premier LTXs for my 19 CX-9. Tires had 150 miles on them. They gave me a credit, plus discounted the LTXs a bit, got a veteran's discount and the online rebate they have running. I've used them many times in the past to trade the OEM rubber for something decent. Highly recommended.

Usually OEM tires have a tread wear rating that will get them through the basic warranty

I worked in the tire industry for 16 years. The truth is that OEM tires are typically optimized for fuel efficiency in order to meet CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards for a given manufacturer's fleet. Unfortunately, when you look at a spider chart for a tire's performance, the more you optimize for fuel efficiency the less tread life you get! Of course, there are exceptions. I worked for Michelin (bias alert) and its OEM tires typically do better on tread wear while still giving decent fuel efficiency. Conversely, after-market tires are typically biased toward tread life, as that's what most people want.

Last edited:
Back