Mobil1 Extended Performance M1-108A vs. Wix 57002 oil filters

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Between the two oil filters: Mobil1 Extended Performance M1-108A vs. Wix 57002 oil filters

I found the Mobil1 to weigh more and be sturdier than the Wix. I am sure the quality of the Wix is good but no doubt the Mobil1 has a thicker metal canister and the filter element is probably better. I will probably go back to the Mobil1 on my next oil change.

Have you tried to compare those aftermarket oil filters to Mazda OEM filter side by side? Especially the one not from "Value Product" line?

Have you tried to compare those aftermarket oil filters to Mazda OEM filter side by side? Especially the one not from "Value Product" line?

Dealership only carries the "value product" line. Haven't tried the value line. I liked the OEM Mazda but they switched to value line.

Dealership only carries the "value product" line. Haven't tried the value line. I liked the OEM Mazda but they switched to value line.
You can ask your Mazda dealer to order a non-value-product oil filter with proper part number if they don't stock it; or you can always order one online.

Between the two oil filters: Mobil1 Extended Performance M1-108A vs. Wix 57002 oil filters

I found the Mobil1 to weigh more and be sturdier than the Wix. I am sure the quality of the Wix is good but no doubt the Mobil1 has a thicker metal canister and the filter element is probably better. I will probably go back to the Mobil1 on my next oil change.

what exactly does a "thicker" or more "sturdy" metal casing have to do with being a better quality oil filter when it's the internal paper filter element that's important?

and, how exactly did you come to the conclusion that the filter element is "probably better" without physically cutting open the canister and peeking inside? I'm sorry, but this thread is such bulls***. I see absolutely nothing wrong with simply using OEM Mazda filters.

what exactly does a "thicker" or more "sturdy" metal casing have to do with being a better quality oil filter when it's the internal paper filter element that's important?

and, how exactly did you come to the conclusion that the filter element is "probably better" without physically cutting open the canister and peeking inside? I'm sorry, but this thread is such bulls***. I see absolutely nothing wrong with simply using OEM Mazda filters.

Thicker metal casing means that it is built to withstand higher pressures. The Mobil 1 is highly rated with it's synthetic element filter.

I have no issues with the OEM except now in the USA they only use the "value" filters which are not as well built as the original filters. Hence they call them "value" filters.

I use oem filters nowdays because the anti drain valve and bypass valve pressures are tailored to many systems, specifically, nowdays, and I'd rather not bother guessing. Oil filters aren't that important anyways, regarding filtration as compared to flow rate and volume.

Bought a Thailand Mazda filter on Amazon for $9.

The dealer was selling the Value Line Mexico ones for $12. And Med Center Mazda loses any monetary savings due to outrageous shipping costs.

Last edited:

I use oem filters nowdays because the anti drain valve and bypass valve pressures are tailored to many systems, specifically, nowdays, and I'd rather not bother guessing. Oil filters aren't that important anyways, regarding filtration as compared to flow rate and volume.

Yep yep...

Thicker metal casing means that it is built to withstand higher pressures. The Mobil 1 is highly rated with it's synthetic element filter.

I have no issues with the OEM except now in the USA they only use the "value" filters which are not as well built as the original filters. Hence they call them "value" filters.

I think it was on BITOG forum that someone cut open a "Value Line" Filter. The real way to see the quality of a filter. It was actually still good quality. Better than a lot of 3rd party filters.

I think it was on BITOG forum that someone cut open a "Value Line" Filter. The real way to see the quality of a filter. It was actually still good quality. Better than a lot of 3rd party filters.

Yep, I saw that thread on BITOG and it put my mind at ease when I did my first oil change myself and only had a value filter.

Honestly, I've literally never heard of a modern motor dying due to "oil failure" that a filter could have prevented. Never. Ever. If anyone has any such data, I'd love to see it. What amazes me is people putting K&N filters on, while worrying about an oil filter! It's like wearing a condom to shovel horse s***.

Oh shoot look what I found guys http://mildrens.com.au/articles/engine-oil-filter/

Disclaimer: These likely aren't sky active Filters but merely show the quality of Mazda OEM filters in general.

There's a chart indicating a comparison with specs for OEM Mazda made in Japan Filter, OEM made in Australia filter, and Wix. The OEM Japan Filter is a really good filter with robust filter area media and good construction. The other two are still good.

That said, I get the notion Mazda does not allow subpar skyactiv spec'ed oil filters to be compatible with SkyActiv engines.....And I'm not talking about fitment.

And the Mazda Value Line Skyactiv filter cut open here https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4352002/Mazda_PE01-14-302A-MV_used_cut

Great quality filter.....That said I've still got 2 WIX filters. Regarding oil filters for Skyactiv engines...Mazda got us covered. No concerns here.

Last edited:
someone should try opening up one of these filters after a 5000 mile and 2500 mile interval and see how the filter element looks. something tells me the size of these little filters indicates that they are only good for roughly 2500 miles of use.

Don't feel so bad about the filter. My dealer charged me for a Mazda filter and look what I found installed....ReliaGuard R1365. Now I wouldn't buy one of these to install myself, but if the dealer uses them, does it meet the OEM spec??? I've seen a lot of crappy filters in my day, but have yet to see an engine fail because of it. No matter, doing my own changes, I've been using the Mazda brand, but have used Wix on many other vehicle applications.
Here are a couple comparisons, the one on the left is the Mazda filter.

After seeing the comment above, cutting the filter media, there is about 40% more area than the generic filter.

Attachments

• 20171215_090711.jpg
    20171215_090711.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • 20171215_090513.jpg
    20171215_090513.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 20171215_090504.jpg
    20171215_090504.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,055
someone should try opening up one of these filters after a 5000 mile and 2500 mile interval and see how the filter element looks. something tells me the size of these little filters indicates that they are only good for roughly 2500 miles of use.

Maybe if you use pantyhose over the intake for the air filter, rofl!

Comical to even think,crazy to even consider.

Bought a Thailand Mazda filter on Amazon for $9.

The dealer was selling the Value Line Mexico ones for $12. And Med Center Mazda loses any monetary savings due to outrageous shipping costs.

$12 for one? Shows you the difference in location. My dealer will sell a value line or thailand model for under $8.

Don't feel so bad about the filter. My dealer charged me for a Mazda filter and look what I found installed....ReliaGuard R1365. Now I wouldn't buy one of these to install myself, but if the dealer uses them, does it meet the OEM spec??? I've seen a lot of crappy filters in my day, but have yet to see an engine fail because of it. No matter, doing my own changes, I've been using the Mazda brand, but have used Wix on many other vehicle applications.
Here are a couple comparisons, the one on the left is the Mazda filter.

After seeing the comment above, cutting the filter media, there is about 40% more area than the generic filter.

Could not find specs of that R1365 filter....but I do know its a universal filter. I'd stick to OEM or Wix/Purolator.

Has anyone ever been told WHY we in the USA can not get the Japan PE01-14-302 anymore ? Like the official reason. It was the factory filter on my June 27, 2017 built CX-5.

Last edited:
Back