Navigating to POI using your voice (2017 CX-5 Touring)

sstewart

:
2017 CX-5 Touring
Good Morning Folks,

Has anyone here ever had any issues navigating to a POI using your voice in a 2017 CX-5 touring? Something as simple as "Navigate to Walmart" returns a "That POI is not currently Available". When it does try, it gives me some completed unrelated POI's from around the area. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it is really just that bad. I find using your voice to control navigating trying at the best of times. If anyone has some tips or tricks that would be great. Thanks in advance!

The voice recognition in Mazda is a gimmick and a hit and miss at best. So don't expect much.

Most of electronics on Mazda vehicles are as bad as mechanical systems are good. Gets me wonder what was the train of thought while designing so many aspects of it...

Hyperbole much?
No, unfortunately.
Car doesn't auto-lock-up when the driver gets out first, and passenger(s) close their door(s) later (push-button start cars). The crime of hitting door handle unlock button while doors are already unlocked. It beeps and screams at you like you're stealing it.
No fuse for the trunk light (BCM blows up if the light contacts get accidentally shorted).
No radio after engine gets shut down in park. No BT phone conversation continuation either in that case, phone just hangs up.
Very bad radio/infotainment overall, at least in our '15, even for the time. Navigation, phone access (contacts upload every time it connects before it can do anything, no message downloads if there's too much msgs on the phone), voice, pretty much anything about it. Touch screen lag joke?
Oh, the rear hatch lock/unlock working completely independent of the doors, what kinda logic is that...
No lit door buttons? Gimme a break.
I just mentioned the ones that suck compared to my '14 Tahoe. Different cars, electronics sanity shouldn't be that much apart. Mind you, we have GT Mazda and LS Chevy (cheapest beast around). The contrast is stunning.

Last edited:
Looking at the mechanical side, there were few places that our Mazda went where I wouldn't venture into in my Tahoe. Handling, car feeling, engine-tranny tandem, AWD... These things are superb. Fuel economy- not so much compared to Tahoe (normalized to weight, engine size, power, etc).

I just walked out to a CX5 to try it out. I pushed the talk button and waited for "say a command" <beep> to finish; i said "Walmart'; a list of Walmarts pulled up and it said to say the line # for the one i wanted; I said "1" and it showed it on the map along with the route' it then said "say start to begin navigation"

It seems to work fine. Maybe take it in to a dealer for a software update

I just walked out to a CX5 to try it out. I pushed the talk button and waited for "say a command" <beep> to finish; i said "Walmart'; a list of Walmarts pulled up and it said to say the line # for the one i wanted; I said "1" and it showed it on the map along with the route' it then said "say start to begin navigation"

It seems to work fine. Maybe take it in to a dealer for a software update

Yes, mine always has worked fine for me as well. I think a lot of problems come down to not knowing how to voice the command properly for the system.

There is a tutorial built into the head unit for those that do not want to read the manual. (detect)

Can you try that while driving?

It works while driving which is nice because you cant do s*** manually when youre in motion. The voice commands are finicky but you have to say the right command shes asking for.

Good Morning Folks,

Has anyone here ever had any issues navigating to a POI using your voice in a 2017 CX-5 touring? Something as simple as "Navigate to Walmart" returns a "That POI is not currently Available". When it does try, it gives me some completed unrelated POI's from around the area. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it is really just that bad. I find using your voice to control navigating trying at the best of times. If anyone has some tips or tricks that would be great. Thanks in advance!

The voice recognition is completely useless. I've never had it correctly understand me. I don't know why they even included it in their system.

I pushed the talk button and waited for "say a command" <beep> to finish;

I had a lot of trouble with voice commands until I realized that you have to wait for the beep!

It doesn't seem to be listening until it beeps, unlike most modern voice control systems.

No BT phone conversation continuation either in that case, phone just hangs up.

My car hands the call off to the phone when I shut it down, as it should, as every other car I know of does...
Yours ends the call? Something's not right there.

Last edited:
Back