CX-5 Exhaust tip pics?

Anyone thats changed or upgraded their exhaust and/or muffler tips on a 17-19 cx5, could you please post pics and details? Havent decided which way to go...3.5 or 4 tips and whether or not to go straight or with a slight turndown

Stock. They look fine. There is a reason for the gap. One I amusingly learned when a highschool friend years ago melted the body kit on his civic.

Ha, not looking to go that big. But stock looks like dual pea-shooters. An extra 0.5-1 outer diameter on tips will still be plenty far from touching the bumper.

Stock. They look fine. There is a reason for the gap. One I amusingly learned when a highschool friend years ago melted the body kit on his civic.

That's pretty funny.

The things that seem like great ideas when we're young...

At best it is a 250hp pea shooter. It fits with the narrow tires and output.

Yeah true, and I believe it wouldve looked better with a single muffler/dual pipes sitting on one side instead of a faux dual exhaust for an NA 4-cylinder. Guess its the unnecessarily large bumper cutouts that give it the pea-shooter look.

Yeah true, and I believe it would*ve looked better with a single muffler/dual pipes sitting on one side instead of a faux dual exhaust for an NA 4-cylinder. Guess it*s the unnecessarily large bumper cutouts that give it the pea-shooter look.

"unnecessarily"...how do you know? Why are they like that? Ponder it for a bit. There may be more engineering that went into it than you're giving credit for.

Further, I'm fine with the exhaust. It's a helluva lot better than the flattened Y-pipe on my LT1 and LS1 cars!

Also consider that exhaust systems are more complex than I think you give them credit for:
https://motordyneengineering.com/exhaust-backpressure-and-scavenging/

I'm thinking of getting a 3" clamp on tailpipe extension something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to slide over the OEM tips. Just for temporary use when I am using my trailer-hitch mounted cargo basket. The basket corners (plastic) are right behind the exhaust outlet. Without something like that, I don't think it will survive hours of highway driving.

I'm thinking of getting a 3" clamp on tailpipe extension something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to slide over the OEM tips. Just for temporary use when I am using my trailer-hitch mounted cargo basket. The basket corners (plastic) are right behind the exhaust outlet. Without something like that, I don't think it will survive hours of highway driving.

Those probably won't fit over the OE exhaust finisher tips. Those are made for welding onto bare pipe.

Those probably won't fit over the OE exhaust finisher tips. Those are made for welding onto bare pipe.

They are 3" ID and I measure my OEM tips as +-3" OD. If needed I can cut some slots in these and hold with a clamp. Not pretty, but it's only temporary so I can carry extra gas in the basket next time I need to evacuate from a monster hurricane. When Irma hit Florida the interstates were jammed and gas stations ran out. We carried some 5 gal jugs inside the car (previous CX9) but the fumes we bad.

I'm just kicking around ideas for now. I don't even have the carrier hitch yet. Another (simpler) possibility would be to make and attach an aluminum shield on the front corners of the basket. Just enough to wrap the corner and deflect the exhaust gas. I'll wait until I get the hitch installed and see what the actual height and distances are.

Last edited:
One of the first things I did was changed out the tips, I got 3.5" tips welded on.

48043474777_3a7e1bba8f_b.jpg

Just my humble opinion, I think 4" is going to look a bit too big.

lowincash's look floats my boat. That's what I wish I could get mine to look like, dang twins and needing a mini-van LOL

I've seen pics floating around here with the 4" angled tips that have the beveled inside edge that look really nice.

At best it is a 250hp pea shooter. It fits with the narrow tires and output.

"unnecessarily"...how do you know? Why are they like that? Ponder it for a bit. There may be more engineering that went into it than you're giving credit for.

Further, I'm fine with the exhaust. It's a helluva lot better than the flattened Y-pipe on my LT1 and LS1 cars!

Also consider that exhaust systems are more complex than I think you give them credit for:
https://motordyneengineering.com/exhaust-backpressure-and-scavenging/

Nothing to ponder...most of the engineering into the exhaust is done pre-muffler, while the muffler is mostly for sound control. Whenever you have a single exhaust turning into duals at the very rear of the car, its usually just for aesthetics.

I think the best looking exhaust is the 2X 5 inch oval one in the center of the bumper with about 375 DIN HP pushing exhaust out of it. Ed

Back