Drag Coefficient

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Does anyone know the Cd for the 2017 CX-5? Everything I've found is blank. I'm guessing it's pretty high, looking at the front end.

"Mazda claims the CX-5 is one of the most aerodynamic compact SUVs around, with a drag coefficient of 0.33."

2017 "AERODYNAMICS

Mazda's aerodynamic 'ground line' concept aims to streamline air flow along the underbody, and establish a balance between the flow of air over and beneath the body as it converges at the rear of the vehicle.

To this end, the front grille employs duct shaped opening, and strategically positioned aerodynamic parts have been added. An active air shutter keeps the lower front grille closed whenever possible.

As a result of these measures, the all-new CX-5's drag coefficient has been lowered by some 6% over that of the current model"

*Drag coefficient (Cd) 0.32 *

"Mazda claims the CX-5 is one of the most aerodynamic compact SUVs around, with a drag coefficient of 0.33."

2017 "AERODYNAMICS

Mazda's aerodynamic 'ground line' concept aims to streamline air flow along the underbody, and establish a balance between the flow of air over and beneath the body as it converges at the rear of the vehicle.

To this end, the front grille employs duct shaped opening, and strategically positioned aerodynamic parts have been added. An active air shutter keeps the lower front grille closed whenever possible.

As a result of these measures, the all-new CX-5's drag coefficient has been lowered by some 6% over that of the current model"

So which is it, .33 or .32?

Does anyone know the Cd for the 2017 CX-5? Everything I've found is blank. I'm guessing it's pretty high, looking at the front end.

what makes you say that? any modern car is quite aerodynamic.

2017 "AERODYNAMICS

Thanks! Where'd you find that?

what makes you say that? any modern car is quite aerodynamic.

I say that because the front end looks kind of fat to me, like it has to punch a big hole in the air. The eye of the beholder, you know.

I just wondered what the "official" number was, or if indeed there was one, since seemed odd that every article I found left that field blank for the CX-5.

That's quite a generalization you're making. Compared to what? .32 or .33 isn't bad, but it's above the median for current passenger vehicles.

It’s good for an suv/cuv when you say median for passenger cars that’s going to include things like regular sedans that are more aerodynamic than suv/cuv most notably by being closer to the ground.

Good company. The same as the early SAABs

0.32 Saab 92, (1949 1956)
Saab 93 (1956 1959)
Saab 94 (1956)
Saab 95 (1959-1978)
Saab 96 (1960-1980)

What makes you think that it might be, Unobtanium, hmmm?

The rear end is at least as important as the front end, if not more so. The air flowing around the body has to come back together in the low pressure zone behind the car. The more turbulence created in this zone, the greater the drag. Also, underbody aerodynamics makes a big difference, especially on a SUV/CUV because of the higher ride height.

The rear end is at least as important as the front end, if not more so. The air flowing around the body has to come back together in the low pressure zone behind the car. The more turbulence created in this zone, the greater the drag. Also, underbody aerodynamics makes a big difference, especially on a SUV/CUV because of the higher ride height.

Obviously EVERYTHING about the shape and surface of the vehicle will affect the aerodynamics.

It’s good for an suv/cuv when you say median for passenger cars that’s going to include things like regular sedans that are more aerodynamic than suv/cuv most notably by being closer to the ground.

There's another broad generalization. It's better than some, worse than others. I wrote passenger VEHICLES, not cars, to add some less aerodynamic vehicles to the comparison. That would make the CX-5 look better in contrast. It was GJ who mentioned "any modern CAR".

Back