2018 GT - Entering Nav Destination by Voice

I know to wait for the prompt. Every other voice command seems to work. I can get to navigation, I can make a call, I can enter a specific FM or XM channel, etc. But I can't enter an address. Here's the sequence.

I press the voice prompt button on the steering wheel.
System says, "Please say a command, [BEEP]."

I say any of these -
"Address"
"Navigate to an address"
"Destination"
"Address 1 Main Street XYZ, New Jersey"
"Navigate to 1 Main Street XYZ, New Jersey"
"Destination 1 Main Street XYZ, New Jersey"

To each of these commands, the system replies - "Entering destination by voice is not currently available."

So it is clearly recognizing what I'm trying to do. It knows that I'm saying an address, but it just won't take it.

I've tried starting in the nav window, within sub-menus in nav window, from the home screen, from the audio window, etc. All with the same result.

TRY THIS!

Press button on wheel, wait for the prompt, say the word "NAVIGATION"
then proceed with your voice address input.

Do you mean all in one statement?

“NAVIGATION 1 Main Street XYZ, NJ”

No not like that. Is 3 separate commands.

Voice command button press #1 " NAVIGATION"
voice command button press #2 " DRIVE TO AN ADDRESS "
you should then be prompted for an address by NAV unit..." 1 Main St XYZ NJ

Here is a how to video from a dealer network...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I tried both of your suggestions plus what the video shows, which is slightly different. Same result. It recognizes what I want to do but says, Entering destination by voice is not currently available.

Thanks guys. I tried both of your suggestions plus what the video shows, which is slightly different. Same result. It recognizes what I want to do but says, “Entering destination by voice is not currently available.”

I would try the Hard reset that CJ4 posted above, and if that fails, bring to the dealer for them to repair.

I was at the dealer with my 2018 cx-5 ... dealer tried to update GPS because of the voice address input unavailable issue. GPS had the newest update..the dealer could not figure out why..They went to several new 2018 cx-5 and cx-9s and tried to input an address via voice..all vehicles provided the same issue. The dealer is contacting mazda next week in hopes for a fix.. seems all units if the 2018 are affected.

I was at the dealer with my 2018 cx-5 ... dealer tried to update GPS because of the voice address input unavailable issue. GPS had the newest update..the dealer could not figure out why..They went to several new 2018 cx-5 and cx-9s and tried to input an address via voice..all vehicles provided the same issue. The dealer is contacting mazda next week in hopes for a fix.. seems all units if the 2018 are affected.

UH-OH! Thanks for the update. That would certainly make the most sense... Sounds like some crafty hacker got into the NAVTEQ software and changed some code... (spank)

@mazdadude
Yes that is possible. The that is not is commands like "Navigate to Walmart"

I used "Find Nearest Ritz Carlton Hotel" and the system found the two nearest Ritz and allowed me to insert them as waypoints between where I was at the moment and my final destination. The system then placed a Yellow Flag on the map representing the Ritz Carlton Hotel, as distinguished from the Checkered Flag for the final destination. I had a salad at the Ritz overlooking the ocean and then got back on the road and picked up my final destination which was a roadside barbecue house.

All accomplished while coming out of a neighborhood I had never been in before about 40 miles away prior.

The system works great. If you are continually being denied its benefits, it might be time to see the dealer. Prior to heading to the dealer however, I'd give this one last try: http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/howto-voicerecognition?language=en-NA#

I dread ever having to visit a dealership for any vehicle I own. Things really seem to go down hill after the dealer touches my vehicles for some 'odd' (probably planned) reason.

My 2018 Signature voice actuated features and functions work flawlessly. Could be a production time-line issue where something went wrong on the production line over a temporary and specific segment of time. Those vehicles were then shipped with issues when they arrived at the dealer. However, I'm a little bit taken that not more people are reporting the same problem, if there was a segmented time-line issue. Or, it could be that people have the problem and don't yet know it because they simply don't use voice commands.

I did not use voice commands when I first bought the vehicle. However, after learning about how it works, I don't use anything else at this point because it works so well. Manually entering addresses, manually making phone calls, manually selecting radio stations, manually finding song titles, etc., has all be replaced with voice.

I won't drive without Voice. In fact, if it breaks I'll call Uber or Lyft. In fact, I think I'm getting spoiled - which is not good - just not good at all. Shame on Mazda for spoiling me so much. Just kidding. When you get it fixed halla back. You are going to love it!

I called mazda today and was told there is a TSB for our voice issue. They would not provide the details or if it is something that can be done at home without the dealer. The Tsb number is 09-00318. I contacted the dealer and am now waiting to hear back what it is and if it will fix it... anyone else have any luck?

I called mazda today and was told there is a TSB for our voice issue. They would not provide the details or if it is something that can be done at home without the dealer. The Tsb number is 09-00318. I contacted the dealer and am now waiting to hear back what it is and if it will fix it... anyone else have any luck?

Nope. As well, I cannot confirm that number on any site tracking TSB information for Mazda relative to any CX-9 subsequent to 2016. Could be so new that very few in the automotive world even know about it, yet. Thanks for the TSB number. Hope I never have to use it.

Don't want to derail this thread, but...navigation in 2016-2018 without nav is as easy as plugging in an SD card, correct?

Don't want to derail this thread, but...navigation in 2016-2018 without nav is as easy as plugging in an SD card, correct?

I've learned that they have used others such as TomTom in previous implementations of Navigation (that was before the redesign of the CX-9). With the current implementation, if you have a Mazda Navigation equipped vehicle (which means by definition it is either a GT or Signature trim), then all you need is the most up to date Mazda Navdata SD card.

In the current CX-9 design (I can't speak to the other vehicles), Mazda Navigation and Mazda Connect Infotainment are two different systems now fully integrated in the GT and Signature. Both Sport and Touring have Mazda Connect Infotainment (CMU) as standard. You would have to add Mazda Navigation as part of the Premium Package option to the Touring, whereas Sport does not have that option.

When you purchased your CX-9, one of the first things your sales rep did during delivery was show you where to insert the SD card - if you had a Mazda Navigation equipped trim/option.

I experienced the “Entering destination by voice is not currently available” problem on my 2017 CX-5 I picked up in December. Turns out that the SD card installed when I purchased the car did not have the latest release on it. After updating the SD card to the latest file (July 2017) voice navigation is now working.

Spoke to mazda again today and asked them to tell me what the tsb is... they advised it's an issue with the sd card... cards with the # BHP1-66-EZ1G do not have the latest update. Update the software via mytoolbox from.Mazda... bingo we have voice activated destination input....

I experienced the “Entering destination by voice is not currently available” problem on my 2017 CX-5 I picked up in December. Turns out that the SD card installed when I purchased the car did not have the latest release on it. After updating the SD card to the latest file (July 2017) voice navigation is now working.

Spoke to mazda again today and asked them to tell me what the tsb is... they advised it's an issue with the sd card... cards with the # BHP1-66-EZ1G do not have the latest update. Update the software via mytoolbox from.Mazda... bingo we have voice activated destination input....

This is starting to sound like a "Release" problem over at Mazda in Japan. Not particularly inspiring to hear. Though mine works flawlessly, this does show something of a lack of attention to detail. The Card should match the Options List actually purchased. If you bought yours with Mazda Navigation, that means you must have also had Mazda Connect, Mazda Navigation and Mazda NavData on a properly formatted SD Card.

Anyway, glad you guys were able to work it out.

Back