Wheel alignment issues

ZoomZoomMD

:
Mazda CX5 Touring
I have a 2014 CX5 and just needed new tires at 70K miles. I had them replaced at an independent shop I've used for years that is always reliable. Car would drive absolutely perfectly prior to the new tires, straight as can be without any pull. After the new tires were put on they said they checked the alignment and it was off and they fixed it. Now I have noticeable pull to the right. I brought it back to them and they looked at it again and said the alignment was just a little bit off. Once again they say it's fixed but it still pulls. I have to drive with the steering wheel the slightest bit counterclockwise in order to go straight. This was never an issue before.

I don't know anything about the technical details that go into an alignment but is it possible the independent shop doesn't have the advanced machines a Mazda dealer would? I know it's not true that a dealer is better for everything, especially when their prices tend to be high. Is this a case where dealer is better than independent shop?

thanks

Either they corrected the alignment issue and the tires are pulling, or they aligned them incorrectly. Only thing they can adjust is toe-in. Maybe switch the front tires around (switch sides) and see what happens. Also make sure the tire pressures are even, if you're low on one side the car will pull to that side. When you're driving, make sure you're driving on a flat road to test the alignment, vehicle will pull on a road with road crown to the lowest point on the road. Finding a good alignment guy is like trying to find a good doctor. My dealer charges less for an alignment than independent shops and does them really well.

Last edited:
You could take it to another shop and see but one possibility is everything is ok now and you're seeing a bit of an optical illusion regarding the wheel. The placement of the stalks can make it look like its off a little and before you didn't think about it because you didn't have a reason to. There was a whole thread about this awhile back.

So here's the part in your post that is confusing: "Now I have noticeable pull to the right. I brought it back to them and they looked at it again and said the alignment was just a little bit off. Once again they say it's fixed but it still pulls. I have to drive with the steering wheel the slightest bit counterclockwise in order to go straight. This was never an issue before."
Is the wheel actually pulling or is the steering wheel not centered and wants to be slightly counterclockwise in order to steer straight ahead? While it's true that the only adjustment on either end of a CX-5 is toe, the steering wheel also needs to be centered as part of the alignment.

So here's the part in your post that is confusing: "Now I have noticeable pull to the right. I brought it back to them and they looked at it again and said the alignment was just a little bit off. Once again they say it's fixed but it still pulls. I have to drive with the steering wheel the slightest bit counterclockwise in order to go straight. This was never an issue before."
Is the wheel actually pulling or is the steering wheel not centered and wants to be slightly counterclockwise in order to steer straight ahead? While it's true that the only adjustment on either end of a CX-5 is toe, the steering wheel also needs to be centered as part of the alignment.

+1

It's done with the tie rod adjustment.....toe

I am going to get flamed for this but: Sears. I have used them in Wa State, Minnesota, and Alaska. Just buy the $89 plan. They do a 4 wheel alignment using the Hunter 400 (4000?) rack. They wont try to rip you off. The $89 plan is a one time deal, there are two more plans, 3 years and lifetime. Its the same alignment, your just paying for future service so your call. I brought my ford focus at 6,000mi to the ford dealer cuz my rear was wicked unstable over ice, had too much toe in (positive toe) gad dam dealer said it was within limits. not covered under the 12,000 mi alingment warranty. The limits are so huge you could hit a curb and it would still be in. Took it to sears, they nailed it (again) Put all 4 wheels EXACTLY nats ass on. The car drove like it was on rails. They give you the print-out of the "before" and "actual" Best $90 you could spend right now. and yea, get the tire px the same and you need to be on a level road. The Hunter Rack also centers the steering wheel relative to all for wheel angles. I haven't seen the CX5 specs but FWD cars the rears are toed in very slightly, and the fronts are out slightly. Theory is when the fronts are pulling, will tend to turn inward slightly. could also be a dragging brake, but the car is not that old, so not likely. First thing check tire px, and rotate tires.

Last edited:
Correct, but it's still a separate part of the process. You can get the correct front toe and still have a wheel that's not centered.

Then you have to put it back on the rack, cock the steering wheel in the other direction and reset your toe, only if everything is true and correct. If your steering wheel sets at 10 degrees to the left while your driving, then you need to set it to 10 degrees to the right and reset toe. But I'm betting it's a tire issue. OP didn't have it driving like that before..

Correct, but it's still a separate part of the process. You can get the correct front toe and still have a wheel that's not centered.
Then you have to put it back on the rack, cock the steering wheel in the other direction and reset your toe, only if everything is true and correct. If your steering wheel sets at 10 degrees to the left while your driving, then you need to set it to 10 degrees to the right and reset toe. But I'm betting it's a tire issue. OP didn't have it driving like that before..
I agree with madar. For modern vehicles we can't pull the steering wheel out、turn the steering wheel angle、and put it back to "center" the steering wheel. There're sensors detecting steering wheel angle (AFS is one of the systems using it), and the steering wheel has to be at the right angle position preset at the factory. Unless someone had pulled out the steering wheel and put it back at the wrong angle, otherwise there's no need to "re-center" the steering wheel like the old days. It's done with the tie rod adjustment - the toe adjustment.

Yeah, I also believe the culprit is tires. Switch the sides of tires is the easilest way to verify the OP has bad tire(s). And hopefully the tire shop didn't mess around the alignment too much!

Thank you everyone for the input.

Just want to clarify that I do need to apply a counterclockwise force to the steering wheel or else I veer to the right. Someone asked about the type of tire: Continental True Contact Eco Plus. They're brand new but I guess one of them could be made poorly. I'll check tire pressure today to confirm its 34 all around as recommended. As far as switching out the wheels I would need to bring it to a shop to do. I'm a little nervous to go back to the place of purchase due to them telling me its fixed now and hardly recognizing the issue to begin with. Suggest dealer or Sears as someone above mentioned?

Thank you everyone for the input.

Just want to clarify that I do need to apply a counterclockwise force to the steering wheel or else I veer to the right. Someone asked about the type of tire: Continental True Contact Eco Plus. They're brand new but I guess one of them could be made poorly. I'll check tire pressure today to confirm its 34 all around as recommended. As far as switching out the wheels I would need to bring it to a shop to do. I'm a little nervous to go back to the place of purchase due to them telling me its fixed now and hardly recognizing the issue to begin with. Suggest dealer or Sears as someone above mentioned?
I believe you don't have too many choices but to go back to your original tire installer trying to resolve the issue. Ask them switching the side on tires and see. Make sure they torque the lug nuts correctly ~94 ftlbf. And check the tire pressure all around and I wouldn't mind to add a couple of pounds to 36 psi as long as they're all the same. If you want to go to different tire shops, try Discount Tire Store nearby as they have excellent tire equipment to diagnose the tire problems. They can handle tire warranty issue as your problem mostly likely caused by bad tire(s). But they don't do alignment job and you can only hope your original tire installer didn't screw up the alignment. A reputable Firestone shop could be your next choice as they're a tire store with alignment equipment.

If you've used this shop for years then I would go back and show them the issue, take them out for a ride. If they value you as a loyal customer then they should be willing to resolve the issue. If they're competent they should already know about something as simple as swapping the front tires around, it's a common fix. You paid them for a product and a service. If you're not comfortable with this then ask around about a reputable shop, it's going to cost you more money going to someone else but your issue may finally get resolved. A Sears or other franchise shop may be good only if the people that work there are good. I wouldn't trust the Sears around me to change a light bulb, but that's no reflection on Sears shops elsewhere in the country..

Last edited:
those are outstanding tires. I think your shop botched the alignment. Try someone else. Before you have it put on the rack, confirm that they will provide you with the alignment sheet printout. shows all the info about steering wheel position (steer ahead, I think its called) and what it was before and after(actual)

Back