How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Well, this thread has been a bit quiet lately!

It's time to replace the wife's 2012 2.2D 175 and we've been looking at the Sportage, Kuga and of course the CX-5. We've ruled out the Sportage and Kuga so are looking at a Sport Nav CX-5.

When we bought the 2.2D my wife was doing around 20K miles per year, so the diesel made sense, but she is now doing no more than 10-12K a year so it is less clear cut. The 2.0 petrol is around 1800 cheaper than the 150 diesel, which would buy a lot of unleaded despite the lower MPG. But when I test drove it I found it a bit gutless, although to be fair it was bound to feel that way compared to the torque the 175 has.

Can anyone with a petrol advise if it frees up a bit once run in?

I think that the petrol will always seem a bit gutless compared to the torque of the diesel and as driving pleasure should come into the equation as well then get another diesel. In the U.S where they only have petrol they also fine the 2.0 a bit slow and unresponsive but they also get a 2.5 litre that apparantly is a lot better. In order to compete with diesels a lot of manufacturers are now doing turbo petrols and they are a lot better in terms of pulling power and responsiveness.

I think that the petrol will always seem a bit gutless compared to the torque of the diesel and as driving pleasure should come into the equation as well then get another diesel. In the U.S where they only have petrol they also fine the 2.0 a bit slow and unresponsive but they also get a 2.5 litre that apparantly is a lot better. In order to compete with diesels a lot of manufacturers are now doing turbo petrols and they are a lot better in terms of pulling power and responsiveness.

Quite agree, neither my wife or I are interested in the traffic light grand prix but I could see us both getting frustrated with the petrol's lack of "get up and go". Since I posted yesterday we have been talking to the dealer and have managed to negotiate the price of the diesel down to a point where it is not much of a premium over the petrol, so we have placed an order.

Get the wife to test the petrol turbo X1.

I'm sure she will find the power and torque is sufficient. Test the auto.

I've recently parted company with my CX-5 Auto Sport Nav. Was a fine car, but found the ride too hard on longer journeys and my problems with the TomTom satnav were a constant pain.

Anyway, I have x2 brand new Toyo tyres, unused and still in the wrapping. They are Toyo PROXES R36 225/55 R19 99V bought just few months ago. Will entertain any sensible offers for them. I'm in the South East Wales / Monmouthshire area. If anyone is interested, drop me a note. I'll do some research and see what kind of price they are going for.

I've decided not to bother with the other forum anymore - the one as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Somebody asked a question and one of the revered members from here said it as it is. People asked and he gave a candid answer and he gave what was requested, being an unequivocal proven and accurate response.

Despite telling the truth and without trying to be a paid up member of the CX-5 fan club, he bought another one, so they ain't all that bad! Those of us thinking about replacing like-for-like appreciate being given the facts.

However the Moderator didn't agree, and it clearly fell foul of his criteria, the levels of which are yet to be defined!

Finally, the condescending comments made to him were by the moderator - who appears as a control freak - were totally disingenuous and considering the manner in which that particular site is "policed" should never have been made.

Following the comments made by the moderator of that site, and there was very heavy support for the "Offender" the thread has since been locked - hence my Personal Opinion as regards "control freak".

It is a shame really as is a well laid out site, and easy to navigate.

Alex

Last edited:
This thread seems to be okay...have seen some fairly pathetic posturing on other threads...agree with Alex about the "other" forum, can't believe they've locked the thread when it was the Mod who should have apologised. Sad.

Just a heads up, new map update ready to download via Mazda Toolbox.....3 and a half hours at 3.4mb/s

I guess i'll have to post mainly here now.
I found the situation very strange being trolled by a moderator is a first for me.

But thanks again for all those who supported me. And here is the link for anyone interested.

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=440.15

And another that was started and blocked.

http://mazdacx5forums.co.uk/index.php?topic=513.0

I've decided not to bother with the other forum anymore - the one as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Somebody asked a question and one of the revered members from here said it as it is. People asked and he gave a candid answer and he gave what was requested, being an unequivocal proven and accurate response.

Despite telling the truth and without trying to be a paid up member of the CX-5 fan club, he bought another one, so they ain't all that bad! Those of us thinking about replacing like-for-like appreciate being given the facts.

However the Moderator didn't agree, and it clearly fell foul of his criteria, the levels of which are yet to be defined!

Finally, the condescending comments made to him were by the moderator - who appears as a control freak - were totally disingenuous and considering the manner in which that particular site is "policed" should never have been made.

Following the comments made by the moderator of that site, and there was very heavy support for the "Offender" the thread has since been locked - hence my Personal Opinion as regards "control freak".

It is a shame really as is a well laid out site, and easy to navigate.

Alex

Foolishly, I left a rubber tipped metal "prodder" (used on an i-pad) on the dash and inevitably it rolled into the windscreen vent. It's about 60mm x 8mm dia. Using long nose pliers caused it to go in further and it is now just about visible. I imagine when I next drive the car it will slide downwards.
Has anybody had this happen and what are the consequences (into the blower fan ?)
I imagine the cost of stripping everything down would be horrendous.
Any thoughts anybody?

No, it can't get to the pollen filter from the air vent but I doubt it would do any harm in there other than rattle.

Xtrailman, you're not entirely blameless for what happened on the other forum as you can appear to rubbish CX-5s and come across quite curt in some of your comments but frankly, that guy over there is not the easiest to get on with. I've tried as a moderator on other forums to advise and get him to ease up but he sees it as an insult and he reacts by threatening to get worse. He's also a pest for moving threads and creating new sections so just when you get into discussing something interesting, because it's one degree off topic, it gets moved and you end up searching for it. You are right, it's much more relaxed on this forum.

Last edited:
Foolishly, I left a rubber tipped metal "prodder" (used on an i-pad) on the dash and inevitably it rolled into the windscreen vent. It's about 60mm x 8mm dia. Using long nose pliers caused it to go in further and it is now just about visible. I imagine when I next drive the car it will slide downwards.
Has anybody had this happen and what are the consequences (into the blower fan ?)
I imagine the cost of stripping everything down would be horrendous.
Any thoughts anybody?
Anchorman is correct. The "pen" can't travel to blower fan as it would have to pass several air duct doors, AC evaporator, and finally the pollen filter! In addition to rattle, the worst case for you is the "pen" gets stuck by the air duct doors which may cause some air leakage to the vents which the air is not supposed to go. If you still can see it, try this flexible pick-up tool and see if you can get the "pen" out.
$T2eC16d,!)UE9s3wDcdOBR+DUdW8og~~60_35.JPG

Hi all, a new brit to the forum, collecting my CX5 next week cant wait in all honesty, am slightly concerned about the oil rising issues now I have read up on them now, anything to be overly worried about or just keep a regular check and keep on top of it.

Mine is coming up 6 months old and 5000 miles. The oil has gone up about 6mm so won't get to the X before the year end service. I will actually change mine shortly but only because I am fussy.

Back