Is anybody having seat comfort issues?

I'm retired and certainly looked at cost. I started out looking at used cars.

As I mentioned in another thread, I found that the price spread between used and new is not all that much (residual Cash for Clunkers effect?). Then you factor in the effect of factory/dealer financing incentives, and the Total Financed Cost differences narrow even further. Plus the 2018 model included enhanced soundproofing.

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a new 2018 and the turbo became available when I went in to finalize the purchase. The upcharge spread over 60 months was not all that much, and I was oblivious to the interior change.

I'm with you in that I would have preferred fabric seats, but I'm still glad I went the way I did. Now I've got my break in miles behind me, I'm enjoying the turbo and the manual shift mode big time. It's not a stick shift, but it's fun to keep it on the power curve on these hilly curvy back roads.

Last edited:
Cloth seats on 2016 is better than the suede and fake leather/vinyl mishmash on 2017 and up imo. Don't the fake leather/vinyl heat up faster in summer than the cloth seats?

It would be great if companies left alone things that just work like the user replaceable battery and physical home button on smartphones such as in Samsung Note 2,3 and 4.

Cloth seats on 2016 is better than the suede and fake leather/vinyl mishmash on 2017 and up imo. Don't the fake leather/vinyl heat up faster in summer than the cloth seats?

It would be great if companies left alone things that just work like the user replaceable battery and physical home button on smartphones such as in Samsung Note 2,3 and 4.

The brochure for the Touring says "Leatherette seats with Lux Suede inserts." Lux Suede is a Mazda term that does not define the material.

The GT and GT Reserve brochures say "Leather-trimmed seats." "Leather trimmed" to me implies that the seat trim and the seat body are made of two different materials. I wanted to know what the other material was, so I called Customer Service.

For me it's a "definition of terms" issue so I know how to best care for it. Telling me to use soap & water and nothing else on leather (the manual) makes no sense. I did not want to trash leather seats. Then I read someone here point out that this is coated leather, so conditioner would get nowhere near the leather...he vacuumed and used Mother's VLR. So that's what I'm gonna do.

Of course, we can always pick at anything.

I always used meguires wipes on the stone leather with great success but i tried on the nappa and what a mess - don*t try it whatever you do. It made great big blotches that shrivelled the leather like fingers and toes that have been in the bath too long. It did eventually dry out but it was a worrying time. A damp cloth is all they*ll get from now on. The lux suede is *Alcantara* or its equivelant similar to what we get in the CX3. It*s
cool in summer and warm in winter and very comfortable. Toyota used to use velour in some of their models in a pattern that looked like grandmother*s wallpaper but oh so comfortable. They don*t use leather now and i agree with them. Its unecessary.

I always used meguires wipes on the stone leather with great success but i tried on the nappa and what a mess - don*t try it whatever you do. It made great big blotches that shrivelled the leather like fingers and toes that have been in the bath too long. It did eventually dry out but it was a worrying time. A damp cloth is all they*ll get from now on. The lux suede is *Alcantara* or its equivelant similar to what we get in the CX3. It*s
cool in summer and warm in winter and very comfortable. Toyota used to use velour in some of their models in a pattern that looked like grandmother*s wallpaper but oh so comfortable. They don*t use leather now and i agree with them. Its unecessary.

So are you saying that the leather in the CX-5 Reserve is nappa leather? If it's coated, how could anything cause it to shrivel? So what's your opinion on using Mother's VLR on them? I guess I could try it on some inconspicuous spot on the rear seat.

Man, everything in the interior of this car says to use nothing but a heavily diluted mixture of soap & water.

So are you saying that the leather in the CX-5 Reserve is nappa leather? If it's coated, how could anything cause it to shrivel? So what's your opinion on using Mother's VLR on them? I guess I could try it on some inconspicuous spot on the rear seat.

Man, everything in the interior of this car says to use nothing but a heavily diluted mixture of soap & water.
I think the Signature is the nappa leather. I thought the GT-R was the regular leather from the GT?

I could be wrong...

I think the Signature is the nappa leather. I thought the GT-R was the regular leather from the GT?

I could be wrong...

You are correct. I just looked at the brochure again.

Grand Touring all versions says "leather trimmed seats."
Signature says "Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats."

Thanks

Drove my wifes 16 GT yesterday, then back in my 19 today - What a difference. Epic fail by Mazda on the second gen seats.

The base is too narrow causing you to sit sit ON the hard bolsters yet the back is too wide to have the bolsters hold you in place.

Took a lot of fiddling to find the best position in my GTR, but I find them very comfortable overall.

Shorter in height and of moderate weight here. Found the front seats in my 2016 and now my 2019 to be fine, and easily adjustable to my preference. But I do prefer a firmer seat/chair in general, anyway. Absolutely love the lumbar support adjustment (I prefer it fully firm/inflated) in both CX-5s--wish airline seats had that feature.

What I'm not fond of is the front seat side bolsters....they noticeably crushed down over time in my previous CX-5 (only about 3.5 years, and significantly low mileage for that time), and while still under 100 miles on my new car, I'm getting the impression these will do the same both in terms of the under padding and subsequently the surface leather. That may have something to do with how I enter my car. I don't directly sit on the center of the seat (not even sure that's possible except in a lower vehicle or maybe with a taller person), but tend to first place my weight on the lower seat edge, and then slide over into place.

Last edited:
We've had our Sig since the end of December, but it only has 1,500 miles on it. I'm looking forward to our first long trip this weekend, where I can finally see if I have any seat comfort issues. So far, they've been very comfortable for both my wife and me. She's about 5' 3" and I'm 6' 4", both about average weights. I drive with the seat all the way back and she has it pretty much all the way forward. Neither of us has ever had an issue. I do wish the seat could go back a little further, but that's pretty typical of all vehicles I've been in.

We had a 2016.5 Touring with cloth seats and both my wife and I (she is 5'6" and weighs about 95lbs, I am 6'2" and weigh about 250lbs) liked those seats just fine. I have a lot of trouble sitting for long periods because of knee problems, and eventually my hips will start complaining too. This car was the first one we've had since we were married twelve years ago that I can sit in for longer than two hours without needing to get out and stretch.

We now have a 2019 Touring with the pleather seats and they seem less supportive and differently shaped. Still comfortable but definitely different. They have been fine for short commutes and drives so far but this weekend we'll be driving four hours so I'll see how they do for me. My wife's opinion is very different from mine when it comes to supportive or comfortable seats just due to our size difference. I weigh two and a half times more than her!

My cloth seats in my 2014 Touring are fantastic. No comfort issues.

I rode in a family member's 2016 GT with the leather seats and definitely feel they are worse, especially in the cold weather, though seat warmers obviously helped. But still, they were far more stiff and uncomfortable in my opinion.

In my personal opinion, the cloth seats are superior to the leather seats in the CX-5. Can't speak for those "Leatherette" seats in the Gen 2 Tourings. And can't speak for the nappa leather seats in the Signature.

Last edited:
My cloth seats in my 2014 Touring are fantastic. No comfort issues.

I rode in a family member's 2016 GT with the leather seats and definitely feel they are worse, especially in the cold weather, though seat warmers obviously helped. But still, they were far more stiff and uncomfortable in my opinion.

In my personal opinion, the cloth seats are superior to the leather seats in the CX-5. Can't speak for those "Leatherette" seats in the Gen 2 Tourings. And can't speak for the nappa leather seats in the Signature.

The cloth seats in the 2018 I test drove are fine.

The leather ones in my 2019 GTR are a literal pain in the ***. They are almost designed for children, they're that down-sized. I sit up on the bolsters rather than between them. I'm not a big guy...5'10" and 160#.

It is very disappointing, and concerns me for what an extended drive might be like. I hate to think I spent that kind of money and am at Walmart looking for some aftermarket seat cushion, while negating the heat/ventilation features in the process.

The leather ones in my 2019 GTR are a literal pain in the ***. They are almost designed for children, they're that down-sized. I sit up on the bolsters rather than between them. I'm not a big guy...5'10" and 160#.

It is very disappointing, and concerns me for what an extended drive might be like. I hate to think I spent that kind of money and am at Walmart looking for some aftermarket seat cushion, while negating the heat/ventilation features in the process.

I'm 6' and 215 lbs. at the moment. Have not felt the side bolsters being a problem for mine.

I'm 6' and 215 lbs. at the moment. Have not felt the side bolsters being a problem for mine.

^
Thread is a fail if posters do not post their height, weight, and pant size.

5-10 160lbs (mma weight 147). Pant size 32-33.

Seats are good just wish they were a bit longer under knee.

I drove 6 hours last weekend and had no issues with the seats at all. I'm not sure if the Signature seats are different, except for the material, but I doubt it. The vehicle my wife had before the CX-5, a 2010 CR-V EX-L, had horrible seats for anyone over 6 feet tall. So, I know what uncomfortable seats feel like.

(6' 4" 200 lbs, pant size 34-36) This is getting personal now! (eek2)

I actually have pain in my hips aftter 30 minutes because of this. Bad enough the seats are so narrow- the hard bolsters make it even worse. Im only 58 155.

I really dont understand how people bigger than me can sit in these seats.

I drove 6 hours last weekend and had no issues with the seats at all. I'm not sure if the Signature seats are different, except for the material, but I doubt it. The vehicle my wife had before the CX-5, a 2010 CR-V EX-L, had horrible seats for anyone over 6 feet tall. So, I know what uncomfortable seats feel like.

(6' 4" 200 lbs, pant size 34-36) This is getting personal now! (eek2)

^ I was being sarcastic about pant size....hey at least we know what to get you for christmas lol.

I struggled so much with the stone leather that I had the bolsters softened by an upholsterer. I think this is a personal thing - I can*t be doing with anything in my pockets when I settle in the seat but the RAV 4 seats never caused me a problem. I,m waiting to see if these nappa seats conform a bit.

IMG-3686.jpg

IMG-3688.jpg

IMG-3689.jpg

IMG-3690.jpg

Back