Head unit and speaker upgrade on my 2016.5 cx-5 sport

:
2016.5 mazda cx-5 sport
Is the stock head unit good enough if i add an amp and premium speakers? Or should i upgrade everything? Can i transfer the os to a new stereo?

Here is excellent write up by RG_Flyer who installed an aftermarket infotainment system into his 2016 CX-5 Sport. In addition to BlueTooth connection and color touch screen, I believe RG_Flyer also figured out a way to make steering wheel audio controls work with the system! (cool)

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport:

Thank you. I guess my biggest concern is being able to utilize everything that comes preinstalled with the stock head unit. Like controlling the lights and service reminders.

Thank you. I guess my biggest concern is being able to utilize everything that comes preinstalled with the stock head unit. Like controlling the lights and service reminders.
Your 2016.5 CX-5 Sport should have stand-alone double-DIN audio system and it should have nothing to do with controlling the lights and service reminders other than serving as a display. But I don't have Sport and the best way is to PM these questions to those with Sport who had done the headunit replacement.

I'm just going to install better speakers and my 12" sub with a 5 channel amp. Hopefully the stock HU will perform ok.

I'm just going to install better speakers and my 12" sub with a 5 channel amp. Hopefully the stock HU will perform ok.
Stock speakers in automobiles are always the weakest link. Lack of power from stock head-unit's amplifier is another weak part. By doing speaker upgrade especially with an additional amp and sub-woofer, most people would satisfy the result. Besides, if you're not happy after speaker upgrade with an amp, then you can always consider more involved head-unit upgrade. :)

Back