Loud Pinging / power loss 2017 CX-9

:
CX-9 Azami Auspec
Anyone experienced LOUD pining and power loss intermittently on their 2.5T?

Had the car for 5000km with no issues, last few days in SOuth Australia have been warm 33 degrees C so have been runniung A/C and car has four time at moderate throttle at lower revs emitted what seems to be a loud clicking sound from the front RHS (drivers side over here) and ECU pulls timing drops power off, fuel is BP 91RON. Reset your foot on the throttle and off she goes..... Mazda have plugged in with no obvious faults/codes. Today is much cooler and same thing occured when increasing throttle percentage gently to allow for increase in hill gradient, car clicking and revs stable but wouldn't increase. Turned the A/C off and haven't been able to get it to happen again.. Going to fill it with 98RON Premium and see if things are any different.

Any similar issues/fix's would be appreciated.

Foxy.

Had the car for 5000km with no issues, last few days in SOuth Australia have been warm 33 degrees C so have been runniung A/C and car has four time at moderate throttle at lower revs emitted what seems to be a loud clicking sound from the front RHS (drivers side over here) and ECU pulls timing drops power off, fuel is BP 91RON. Reset your foot on the throttle and off she goes..... Mazda have plugged in with no obvious faults/codes. Today is much cooler and same thing occured when increasing throttle percentage gently to allow for increase in hill gradient, car clicking and revs stable but wouldn't increase. Turned the A/C off and haven't been able to get it to happen again.. Going to fill it with 98RON Premium and see if things are any different.

Any similar issues/fix's would be appreciated.

Foxy.

Hi Foxy,

I’ve had this happen one time...Weather was typical warm in US (30C) and conditions were VERY similar...up a small grade. I casually depressed the accel to floor just to judge performance and it fell on its face as you’ve described. On crap 87 Octane. I didn’t think it was pinging (sounded clicking, but I’m inexperienced with pinging). Anyway, hasn’t happened since but run mostly premium gas now and I’ve only hammered the throttle running with much faster sedans (like theCommodore SS-V) [emoji6].

Hi Foxy,

Ive had this happen one time...Weather was typical warm in US (30C) and conditions were VERY similar...up a small grade. I casually depressed the accel to floor just to judge performance and it fell on its face as youve described. On crap 87 Octane. I didnt think it was pinging (sounded clicking, but Im inexperienced with pinging). Anyway, hasnt happened since but run mostly premium gas now and Ive only hammered the throttle running with much faster sedans (like theCommodore SS-V) [emoji6].

Thanks GTIROD!!

Pining is just the term used for detonation or pre ignition in petrol engines. Normally described as a rattling or clicking noise under the bonnet. Its just quite loud on the CX-9...but I haven't owned a turbo petrol car before.

I just filled the other half of the tank with 98ron premium so we'll see over the next day or so...hoping its just a s**** tank of juice.....

A tank of bad gasoline might be your problem. You might try a dose of a well regarded gasoline system cleaner (I don't know what you have available there), as well as gasoline from a different station.

High octane gasoline is not needed. By the way, the U.S. & Canada use a different measurement system for the octane numbers than the rest of the world. We will show an octane number 4 to 6 points lower than elsewhere and get the same performance. U.S. 87 (RON+MON)2 will be about the same as your 91 RON. U.S. 91 or 93 will be about the same as your 98.

91 octane may not be needed, but high recommended if you want your car to run optimally.

I will admit, that if you do not have ethanol free 91, just stick to 87.

Ethanol free 91 octane fuel will ALWAYS return better MPG then using ethanol blended fuel regardless of how you drive. You’ll get rid of this pinging sound and gain a healthy 40hp.

You definitely shouldn't be having issues on good 87 octane gas. I've only put premium in mine one time (accidentally, habit from my old car) and have never heard any knocking/pinging. I don't think it's accurate to say it's "highly recommended if you want your car to run optimally." Yes it changes the tune to give a few extra hp at high rpm, but you shouldn't be seeing any negatives from 87.

You definitely shouldn't be having issues on good 87 octane gas. I've only put premium in mine one time (accidentally, habit from my old car) and have never heard any knocking/pinging. I don't think it's accurate to say it's "highly recommended if you want your car to run optimally." Yes it changes the tune to give a few extra hp at high rpm, but you shouldn't be seeing any negatives from 87.

91 octane is much more preferable for a turbo engine, but if youre using ethanol blended 91 dont bother. Ethanol free 87 is better.

Perhaps we have different perspectives of what shouldnt cause any issues means. 91 cleans your injectors better over the long run and reduces the chances of a fuel pump/injector issue. Especially considering how terrible North American fuel is with all the ethanol they add to it and negligence to extract the sulfur out of fuel (which is totally unnecessary for our engines and results in a nasty smell when youre hard on the throttle.) It is just not as good for your engine in the long run and the car will run poorer.

You guys are experiencing ping/knock, especially at low RPM from using s*** quality fuel. Americans pay about 50% less for fuel then Canadians. In Canada, fuel is almost $5 a gallon for 91 fuel, so the fact that all of you Americans still cheap out amazes me. You will see noticeably improved fuel economy by switching to ethanol free gas, even if it is 91. the car will run better, smoother and result in more effortless acceleration resulting in less fuel used. It is far more efficient then any ethanol blend fuel.

Regardless whether it is 87 or 91, do a search and look for ethanol-free fuel in your area.

Last edited:
91 octane is much more preferable for a turbo engine, but if you’re using ethanol blended 91 don’t bother. Ethanol free 87 is better.

Perhaps we have different perspectives of what “shouldn’t cause any issues” means. 91 cleans your injectors better over the long run and reduces the chances of a fuel pump/injector issue. Especially considering how terrible North American fuel is with all the ethanol they add to it and negligence to extract the sulfur out of fuel (which is totally unnecessary for our engines and results in a nasty smell when you’re hard on the throttle.) It is just not as good for your engine in the long run and the car will run poorer.

You guys are experiencing ping/knock, especially at low RPM from using s*** quality fuel. Americans pay about 50% less for fuel then Canadians. In Canada, fuel is almost $5 a gallon for 91 fuel, so the fact that all of you Americans still cheap out amazes me. You will see noticeably improved fuel economy by switching to ethanol free gas, even if it is 91. the car will run better, smoother and result in more effortless acceleration resulting in less fuel used. It is far more efficient then any ethanol blend fuel.

Regardless whether it is 87 or 91, do a search and look for ethanol-free fuel in your area.

This is a multi national public forum.. such (baseless) comments degrading other nations isn't acceptable... profanity is allowed within texts of a thread but should be kept to a minimum

Last edited:
if you're experiencing pinging, that is certainly not good for the overall longevity, efficiency and power production of your motor.

if you are experiencing pinging, try ethanol-free 87. if that doesnt solve the noise after a few hundred KM, use ethanol-free 91.

ethanol-free 87 > ethanol blended 91.

when you should use 87: mild driving conditions. low throttle application such as highway with little stopping in mild weather conditions (low humidity and heat)

when you should use 91: hauling cargo or people, in hilly areas, with the A/C cranked on a hot day and needing to use a fair amount of throttle to merge, pass, tow, etc. you will be much better off using a good quality 91 fuel. try to stick to one type of fuel.

ANYONE else had any pinging or knocking at lower revs / moderate loads? has anyone heard of (verified) engine issues or failures in the 2.5t?

Had the car for 5000km with no issues, last few days in SOuth Australia have been warm 33 degrees C so have been runniung A/C and car has four time at moderate throttle at lower revs emitted what seems to be a loud clicking sound from the front RHS (drivers side over here) and ECU pulls timing drops power off, fuel is BP 91RON.

Hey Foxy,

Personally, Ive never had anything but problems with BP fuel. Just FWIW.

Reset your foot on the throttle and off she goes..... Mazda have plugged in with no obvious faults/codes. Today is much cooler and same thing occured when increasing throttle percentage gently to allow for increase in hill gradient, car clicking and revs stable but wouldn't increase. Turned the A/C off and haven't been able to get it to happen again.. Going to fill it with 98RON Premium and see if things are any different.

Both ping and power loss are often times associated with carbon build-up in various places in the engine. However, since you did not mention the miles driven thus far, I won't speculate on that. Aside, from the dreaded valve issue that can come from GDI engines (especially those that are turbo-charged), a poor fuel source comes to mind as a potential culprit, a spark issue of some kind has emerged, a vacuum leak somewhere, a severely clogged engine air filter or air intake system leak, etc.

Question: How do you know the ECU has pulled timing? You did not mention that you were running an OBDII computer of some kind - that's why I ask.

If there are no DTC hits and the fuel source is clean, I'm leaning towards a Vacuum problem as ambient temperature seems to have no net affect. Kind of strange, because what you are describing almost sounds like Limp Mode. However, that should have showed up when (as you say) Mazda pulled for Codes and found none.

Add one (1) full quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to your FUEL TANK (make sure you have at least 1/4 tank reserve). Add 1/4 to 1/2 quart Marvel Mystery Oil to your crank case (don't worry about overfilling - this is not enough to cause a problem). Drive normally for 3-days and then shoot a message back to this thread. Do you still hear the ping? Do you still have engine knock down (reduced power on throttle)?

Last edited:
Back