CX9 / CX5 Redesign?

I think they're going to unveil either a new model that debuts the Skyactiv X engine, or an existing model refresh with Skyactiv X engine available. I'm 99% sure the photo is of a CX-5 rear since the inner tail light doesn't feature the chrome bar like it does on the CX-9, but if it's a model refresh, anything can happen.

My money is on a CX-5 or CX-9 model refresh with the Skyactiv X engine. To me, the CX-9 would make the most sense out of the two. The CX-5 just got the Skyactiv-G Turbo, while the Gen 2 CX-9 has had the same engine with no other options since its debut. Who knows, maybe they'll make Skyactiv-X available on all future models, lol.

The basis for my predictions: the new font used for the Skyactiv trunk badge is the same as the new Mazda emblem font that shows up on the new 3 and CX-30. That tells me that it's either a new model or a model refresh (facelift). Also, the Skyactiv badge is wider and leaves some extra space after "Skyactiv" that is conveniently shaded out. My current Skyactiv badge is just wide enough to fit the word Skyactiv on it.

Actually, I take that back. Not Skyactiv-X, probably Skyactiv D, for diesel. I screenshotted the photo and played with the levels and contrast, and came up with this. It looks like a D.

attachment.php

D for disappointed. lol

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,217
Just watched the livestream, it is indeed the diesel version.

I'm not sure how this will play out with the CX-5 sales. The only major thing it has going for is 27 city/30 hwy MPGs (compared to 22/27 of the current CX-5 turbo). Full torque for both is available at 2k RPM, and yet the turbo still has more at 310 compared to 292 for the diesel. And then there's the more expensive diesel fuel. The MSRP has to be below the 2.5T for it to be worth it.

And they plan to bring it to the Mazda6 as well.

Ooo interesting, and smart move playing with photoshop lol

Would have been easier to just check the image source on the website lol. Someone posted a screenshot of the code, and it says "cx5-diesel" right in the middle of it, haha

As expected, the reveal was just a diesel CX-5. No noticeable difference in body. Not sure why the mysterious countdown to hype nothing but a diesel option.

Well, in Mazda's favor, it is a twin turbo Diesel. Which isn't really offered in comparable vehicles. It should be very torquey and pretty good on gas (unless Mazda cheated their numbers like VW).

I think this was a waste of their money and effort. Makes no financial sense and the diesel thing is kind of over in the US for better or worse. I'd be shocked if they sell many.

The only reason I'd consider a diesel version of something is if it had significantly better mileage and this doesn't over the standard 2.5. Diesel costs more in the US and is harder to find.

Mazda has made some cool engines over the years. This isn't going to be remembered as one of them. Bad mileage, bad power, there's no compelling reason to buy this over the 2.5T.

Should have just quietly pulled the plug on this one.

Back