AWD activation

I haven't taken any shots of this yet, basically still playing with it, it's a pain because you have to be connected to a running car to set it up. Anyway, I looked at it today, 40 degrees outside, no bad weather. Basically at a stand still, Forscan says there's nothing at the rear wheels until i accelerate to about 5 mph, then it's about 9 to 12% while cruising around 45 mph on dry road. When I come to a stop it drops down to nothing again. I really should take video of this while the car is in motion. Maybe if we get enough bad weather on Wednesday, I can put some spin to it on a slippery parking lot. Kind of surprises me that nothing registers at the rear wheels at a stand still, would've thought a least a couple of a percent.

Thanks. This verifies exactly what I said all along. Amazing how this seems to be a theme...huh, CX500?

The ride home from work tomorrow should put the system to the test a little better, supposed to be in the upper 20s, driving home in a major snow storm. Can't wait!

Btdt, you should be just fine.

I know that, drove through 2 winter disasters already this year, was talking in terms of the Forscan readout. The CX5 with winter tires seems to be unstoppable in winter weather, and I've driven in worse stuff than that video shows. Maybe they should've had a set of Blizzaks or Winter Contacts on. I drove through some crazy stuff.

Last edited:
I know that, drove through 2 winter disasters already this year, was talking in terms of the Forscan readout. The CX5 with winter tires seems to be unstoppable in winter weather, and I've driven in worse stuff than that video shows. Maybe they should've had a set of Blizzaks or Winter Contacts on. I drove through some crazy stuff.

I just used CrossContact LX20's, and this year have RT43's. Not much snow this year, though. I tried WRG3 SUV's, but they wore out in <20K miles, were loud AF, and scary in the rain. Trash.

Lots of snow this year. So far with OEM 19" Toyo's no problems in straight line driving at sane acceleration and speeds.

Pushing it a bit around corners to test limits will kick out the rear, but lifting off the gas brings it back.

Thanks madar and Kedis82ZE8 for your efforts. I'm the OP with the question about whether the CX5 always starts with some power to the rear. I like that my Equinox does that. Now is that a deal breaker if the CX5 doesn't? Probably not. I've got a feeling that the 250 hp. and 310 torque of the Mazda will seduce me.

If I had to buy a new vehicle tomorrow it would either be the CX5 Turbo or the Equinox with the 2.0 Turbo and AWD. The Sportage seems to get high marks also with a nice AWD system but the gas mileage isn't much.

Nice shortlist. My dad bought a 2018 Equinox 2.0T Premier. He loves it, and I've driven it a few times as well. I think the Mazda edges it out WRT interior, but I haven't driven a 2019 CX-5 with the 2.5T to make any real comparisons to the 2.0T in the Equinox. I can only compare to the CX-9 I have, and I don't know if I would consider that a "fair" comparison.

The only thing I don't like about the Equinox (and it's not even specific to the car) is the auto start/stop feature. I've never been a fan of it in any car I've driven. Just personal preference.

The ride home from work tomorrow should put the system to the test a little better, supposed to be in the upper 20s, driving home in a major snow storm. Can't wait!

I should run in digital gauge mode... I had mine in analog gauge mode and wasn't really looking at the stop-to-start power to the rear when I played with it last year.

Do you also notice more power to the rear while taking a corner? There is also a rear diff temp gauge.

I should run in digital gauge mode... I had mine in analog gauge mode and wasn't really looking at the stop-to-start power to the rear when I played with it last year.

Do you also notice more power to the rear while taking a corner? There is also a rear diff temp gauge.
Not really, noticed more power to the rear starting on a hill, jumped up to about 30% on a startup

I'll have to check mine again as I remember aggressive corners getting more power.

Heck who knows... maybe they even made programming changes between 13-'15 and the '16s?

I going to set up different gauges- vehicle speed, gear, rpm, and solenoid coupling and try to get different screen shots. Don't know if I'll even be going to work tomorrow. We had a hell of a storm back in November and they're saying tomorrows storm is going to be the same.

I'll have to check mine again as I remember aggressive corners getting more power.

Heck who knows... maybe they even made programming changes between 13-'15 and the '16s?
I didn't really have any aggressive corners to take, lol

Thanks. This verifies exactly what I said all along. Amazing how this seems to be a theme...huh, CX500?

A couple posters with literally zero knowledge of the mechanics nor electronics involved, posting on this website?

Yup, seems to be rampant on the web.

A couple posters with literally zero knowledge of the mechanics nor electronics involved, posting on this website?

Cool story. Tell me again how the CX5 automatically sends torque to the rear tires on acceleration from a dead stop and that I am talking "out my @zz", rofl!

Just having a conversation, that's all. No one's claiming to be expert here. If there's something you could throw in, would like to learn some more.

Cool story. Tell me again how the CX5 automatically sends torque to the rear tires on acceleration from a dead stop and that I am talking "out my @zz", rofl!

Your hunch doesn*t tie up with the Mazda Technical information on the subject and without knowing what the foreskin or forscan meter or whatever it*s called is measuring, I*m afraid I*ll go with the people that built it.

Your hunch doesn*t tie up with the Mazda Technical information on the subject and without knowing what the foreskin or forscan meter or whatever it*s called is measuring, I*m afraid I*ll go with the people that built it.

Thats cool. Ill go with my daily driving experiences, because ultimately the real world trumps some guru or paper data. Going up my hill...it slips before it grips. Not proactive.

I recall from one of Dave Coleman*s excellent presentations a chart showing wheel slip while acceleration continues for a substantial time period before the vehicle acceleration goes negative(not intuitive to me, but will assume correct ).The human senses only the negative acceleration. The system detects the slippage and is able to send power to the rear within this lag time. So no felt loss of power. If this is the goal, the system is indeed predictive, my opinion.

So from a standstill, if you feel smooth (not necessarily strong) acceleration (very subjective to be sure), actual wheel spin is irrelevant.

I do agree if Mazda chose a different strategy to have all 4 wheels kick in from a standstill, launch mode let*s say, the acceleration would likely be much stronger.

I recall from one of Dave Coleman*s excellent presentations a chart showing wheel slip while acceleration continues for a substantial time period before the vehicle acceleration goes negative(not intuitive to me, but will assume correct ).The human senses only the negative acceleration. The system detects the slippage and is able to send power to the rear within this lag time. So no felt loss of power. If this is the goal, the system is indeed predictive, my opinion.

So from a standstill, if you feel smooth (not necessarily strong) acceleration (very subjective to be sure), actual wheel spin is irrelevant.

I do agree if Mazda chose a different strategy to have all 4 wheels kick in from a standstill, launch mode let*s say, the acceleration would likely be much stronger.

Yeah, the thing is a touch laggy from a start. I've noticed that it also feels much stronger in 3rd gear. I wonder if Mazda is de-tuning the launch and 1st and 2nd on these. For example, my LT1 Trans Am with a 3.06 first gear and a 2.73 rear end felt MUCH! stronger punching it that my CX5 does. It would leave nearly 50ft of rubber on clean pavement from the 245's out back. Here is a dyno graph of the LT1 and of the 2.5T for examination:

47172d1501534236-stock-f-car-lt1-rwhp-numbers-stockdyno.jpg

Intake%20Dyno.jpg

The CX5 has MUCH more aggressive gearing than my LT1 did, too. Why so laggy? Gotta be tune...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back