2017 CX5 Windshield Replacement

avim

:
2017 CX5 Touring, 2017 Civic EX-T
Got hit by a stone about 6" from the bottom right edge and it developed a crack immediately. Going to get it checked with Safelite and get a quote from the dealership tomorrow but wondering has anyone got a quote for a windshield replacement?

The crack missed the edge by a couple of millimeters so I'm hoping it can be repaired instead of needing a replacement but we'll see. A bit disappointed as the car hasn't even been driven for 1500 miles yet.

My previous Mazda 3 2010 rain sensing windshield replacement was ~450 aftermarket but I did read the 2017 CX5 glass is thicker and the new tech (Touring + tech package) may potentially increase the sticker shock. :p

Very sorry to hear that!

If you see any crack lines developed longer than " then normally it can't be repaired properly. The new acoustic windshield on your 2017 CX-5 is also supposed to be thicker and stronger than 1st-gen's. But you'll never know until you can have some comparison data. Since it's new, you can only find OEM windshield available imported from Japan. The price? The OEM windshield for 2016 GT with Tech was $666.25 last year and is $688.25(?) this year. I'd say it's about $700 list for your 2017 acoustic windshield with Tech. It's about $200 for installation with a windshield shop who really knows how to handle those Mazda sensors. Even that the shop may refuse to do any alignments on rain sensor and SCBS laser sensor (and you have additional Forward Sensing Camera for MRCC and SBS) as outlined in the service manual for windshield replacement. How do I know all of these? My 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech suffered 2 hail storms and both times the windshield cracked. And it proved to me the windshield is weak as no other vehicles parked near by had cracked windshield.

Yeah unless you have zero-deductible coverage on windshield from insurance or you'll have to pay more. But on the brighter side you may be lucky as you don't have HUD where the special coating may cost you even more if Mazda's ADD uses the same technology as BMW's! :)

I've got to get the windshield replaced on my GX.. relatively cheap compared to numbers above at $420. Just a rain sensor and windshield wiper heating element on that one though.

I used to keep high comprehensive deductibles but since there really isn't any substantial savings between $1K and $50 I dropped it to the latter. This is the case with Allstate anyways.

Thank you for the detailed response yrwei52 - that's very helpful. Yes, I've definitely heard of concerns over the weaker windshield for 2016.5 and earlier so I was hoping the thicker 2017 windshield would be stronger - it probably is and I guess I just got unlucky. Any tips on how to reduce how quickly the crack expands? I'm hoping I can keep it until next month.

Kedis - yes, the 3's windshield was definitely cheaper. Looks like the price for the 2017 windshield is much more than that based on yrwei52's post.

Thank you for the detailed response yrwei52 - that's very helpful. Yes, I've definitely heard of concerns over the weaker windshield for 2016.5 and earlier so I was hoping the thicker 2017 windshield would be stronger - it probably is and I guess I just got unlucky. Any tips on how to reduce how quickly the crack expands? I'm hoping I can keep it until next month.

Kedis - yes, the 3's windshield was definitely cheaper. Looks like the price for the 2017 windshield is much more than that based on yrwei52's post.
Check this GlassLogic website at Windshield Chip Repair page and see if the size and type of your crack is repairable. If you think your crack is repairable, don't wait! Those crack lines sometimes will grow really fast. Any temperature change or physical pressure can make the crack line growing. If you think your crack is not repairable, it doesn't matter anyway how long you'd want to wait until you have time to get the windshield replaced.

I've got to get the windshield replaced on my GX.. relatively cheap compared to numbers above at $420. Just a rain sensor and windshield wiper heating element on that one though.

I used to keep high comprehensive deductibles but since there really isn't any substantial savings between $1K and $50 I dropped it to the latter. This is the case with Allstate anyways.
Same goes for collision deductibles. The cost difference for me between $100 and $500 would be a tad more than $40 a year. I've already been hit by a guy with no insurance and a guy who just took off after hitting me. Too many people just don't follow the rules...

In MN we are lucky as state law allows us to have full glass coverage regardless of our comprehensive deductible amount. I have a $600 comprehensive deductible with full glass coverage and the 6 month premium is $56.42.

Same goes for collision deductibles. The cost difference for me between $100 and $500 would be a tad more than $40 a year. I've already been hit by a guy with no insurance and a guy who just took off after hitting me. Too many people just don't follow the rules...

Damn, wish the difference was only that much for my collision. As it is, have to keep my collision at $1000 deductible just to stay affordable.

My comprehensive on the other hand is just $100 deductible.

That's true - but all of the small upgrades do start adding up after a while - in the end it just feels like a big hedge. :)

One thing I realized recently after someone hit my car which resulted in a total loss was how the different parts of your insurance quote play out when you actually need to file a claim. Before that I sort of understood what the numbers were but the choice was just what gave me peace of mind. For example, the person who hit me had a 10k property damage limit which is the bare minimum in WA state. He hit my 8 year old utility car (Mazda3) but he would have been sued out of his ass if he had hit an expensive car or God forbid, multiple vehicles in a parking lot or something.

https://www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/washington-auto-insurance-coverages.aspx

I'm in the same boat - 2017 CX-5 and have a sizable crack in the first week. I'm looking at Safelite for replacement and have concerns about maintaining the integrity of the vehicle if their glass isn't comparable. I'm hoping that the product is new enough that replacement would require Mazda glass - will keep everyone posted!

Typically, you can repair hits that are fairly small. Safety glass has two layers, and the hit allows air into the window. Essentially a repair sucks the air out and fills it with resin. Alternatively, some of the kits, I did a repair on my CX-5 with a RAIN-X kit, just force the resin in and hope for the best. My repair was, by the standards of what I used to do, poor. I overfilled the resin, couldn't puncture the resin bottle well, etc. I did a lot wrong but it also kind of worked.

There are a lot variables on whether a window is repairable: size of hit, is there an actual crack (you won't be able to repair this) or just a pit so you can fill the resin, the location (6" from the edge is kind of close but it's about where mine was) and more.

One tip, don't slam the door when you are doing this. I was once doing repairs on a Mercedes lot, left the door open while the repair was going to check other cars, and someone slammed the door. It cracked the window and I lost the account. The repair kit will put stress on the crack, sometimes they even crack it, if it was on the edge, and door closing can seal that deal.

Note: I did this a long time ago, professionally if such a word applied to us, way before rain sensing wipers and all the like, so I have no idea how that affects the calculation.

I'm in the same boat - 2017 CX-5 and have a sizable crack in the first week. I'm looking at Safelite for replacement and have concerns about maintaining the integrity of the vehicle if their glass isn't comparable. I'm hoping that the product is new enough that replacement would require Mazda glass - will keep everyone posted!

Yes, you can get OEM, it surely qualifies. I wouldn't though. It sucks. I played that game, and now have a Safelite in there and it is still in one piece. 2 Mazda windshields died RAPIDLY. Safelite is G2G.

Yes, you can get OEM, it surely qualifies. I wouldn't though. It sucks. I played that game, and now have a Safelite in there and it is still in one piece. 2 Mazda windshields died RAPIDLY. Safelite is G2G.
I doubt you can get an aftermarket windshield for 2017 CX-5 at this time. I can't even find one for my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech!

Mine is cracked too, a gift from the freeway on my trip home from Baton Rouge. The initiating chip is right in the middle of the radar stuff (big square under rear view mirror) but everything works so I'm letting it go until it comes across my field of vision. Right now it looks like upside cow horns, with a twist on the right. What crappy glass!

The thing is the windscreen is supposed to be thicker in order to reduce noise in the cabin. Maybe this thickness has caused it to become more susceptible to cracks etc (scratch)

Mine is cracked too, a gift from the freeway on my trip home from Baton Rouge. The initiating chip is right in the middle of the radar stuff (big square under rear view mirror) but everything works so I'm letting it go until it comes across my field of vision. Right now it looks like upside cow horns, with a twist on the right. What crappy glass!
If you didn't hear or can't see any evidence of rock hitting the windshield, and all you have is the hair-line crack from the sensor area, it could be the stress crack which can be covered under warranty. Several members had successfully done that before.

I wish - there's a huge rock chip that the cracks are radiating from. I'll see if I can get a pic that actually shows it.

I wish - there's a huge rock chip that the cracks are radiating from. I'll see if I can get a pic that actually shows it.

Over here, insurance policies have windscreen replacement, some include one excess free claim per year

Do you guys have this (scratch)

Do you know if a stone hit it, or rather, if it just appeared? I saw dozens of complaints from 2015 and 2016 owners having cracked windshields w/out any type of impact. I hope it doesn't happen with 2017 too.

Back