Wax and clear coat

blaf2

:
cx 5
My car is only two months old and already it has little nicks from driving. I would like to make sure that it is has a good layer of protection. What should I do? Put a clear coat on for added protection or wax? What is the best clear coat and what is the best wax?

Thank you!

Clear coat is part of the painting process. Maybe you mean clear bra? If it's only 2 months old it oughtta have a good coat of wax on it, but another coat of carnuba definitely wont hurt.

Lotsa good waxes out there. :) Maguires is easy to find and not too expensive.

Ifg you use a carnuba wax, be careful not to get any on the black plastic cladding/moldings as it will stain. Much easier to use one of the newer synthetic waxes (I use Turtle Wax Ice paste), which will not stain the black.

Yeah, but little pebbles and dirt have made a few nicks down to the white; very small but I would like to give the car as much protection as I can. The little nicks are on the hood and the side.

It depends on what you want. If you want a liquid-like shine that has depth to it, Carnuba can't be beat. If you're worried about getting some on the plastic trim and don't want to be careful, synthetics will work great and they'll also last longer than Carnuba between waxings...like twice as long.

Nothing outshines that simple, natural wax that comes from a tree in Brazil though. :)

Thank you! I'm trying to do the best for it since I keep hearing about how terrible the black paint is and how quickly it can wear!

Ok! The guy at the Mazda dealer told me to put some clear nail polish over the teeny nicks and then touch up paint. I'm surprised they didn't provide a little vial of paint. Got it on a Mazda I bought many years ago. So...this is the plan, clear nail polish then touch up paint then a little while later wax? Does that sound about right?

Ok! The guy at the Mazda dealer told me to put some clear nail polish over the teeny nicks and then touch up paint. I'm surprised they didn't provide a little vial of paint. Got it on a Mazda I bought many years ago. So...this is the plan, clear nail polish then touch up paint then a little while later wax? Does that sound about right?

No. You want the color coat to go on first followed by the clear. And I would invest in an actual clear coat applicator rather then nail polish.(hand)

My car is only two months old and already it has little nicks from driving. I would like to make sure that it is has a good layer of protection. What should I do? Put a clear coat on for added protection or wax? What is the best clear coat and what is the best wax?

Thank you!

3M or similar protective wrap, or just ignore the nicks until they start rusting, then use a knife and some touch-up paint (scratch the rust off before painting over). That's what I do, anyways.

I guess I'm a Corvette guy at heart. I use Rejex. It beads water long after others don't. Nothing you can rub onto the paint is going to prevent impact damage, just chemical damage from bug guts and bird s***, and Rejex is awesome for this.

only 6k miles on my 2017 cx5 (black) and there's one paint chip already on my hood. I definitely need to invest in some wax but I'm not good at doing anything to cars lol i'm afraid I'll **** it up, plus I'll need to buy a buffer so I wonder if I should just pay someone to do it for me

only 6k miles on my 2017 cx5 (black) and there's one paint chip already on my hood. I definitely need to invest in some wax but I'm not good at doing anything to cars lol i'm afraid I'll **** it up, plus I'll need to buy a buffer so I wonder if I should just pay someone to do it for me

There are lots of products out there that are easy to use. No need of a buffer. I just waxed mine with Sonax Liquid NPT wax and the silver paint really shines. Just applied it and after the section is done just wipe off and hand buff. Mothers, Megs, they all have easy to use products.

Get some good quality microfiber towels. Well worth the $$

Try this - A product called Ultimate Fast Finish from Meguiars.
Clean car/Wash car - clay bar it - use a compound to buff out scratches - add wax (optional) - spray UFF on MF Cloth and wipe it, turn to dry area and wipe it again - Add Wax (optional).
This will make dust stick less to your car - cleaning will be easy. Scratches will be on this coating if any - the coating lasts for 6-8 months and is 15 bucks a bottle - will last you 2 years or so.
Carfo - I never did any of this - offlate I was able to cure my hood (cure is take out scratches etc) - take out water spots that were etched due to my negligence. It is not difficult if you are just sensible about it. Its easy - just take step by step. These are my must have list of products after spending a lot of money on it:
1. ONR Wash and Wax - I love this product - it can be Clay bar lube / Quick detailer / Wash medium.
2. Good Wash mitt and good MF drying towel + applicator / buffing towel.
3. Applicator pads.
4. Scratch X or Meguiars magic compound.
5. Need something for cleaning black trim. I got the wax marks that paris warned about.
6. Stoners for cleaning glass.
7. Bucket and grit guard or 2 buckets
All in this should be about 8+20+10+10+10+10 = 70 bucks + buckets at $7 or so - should clean your car a lot of times.

As to OP - you cannot prevent nicks unless you have a clear bra - which if you plan to do will look awful in a year because the clear bra will have nicks now. It will reflect light and look even worse.
I would just add wax (no protection from chips - but good a medium in between).

Agreed Kaps.

Everyone I know who has a clear bra on their car, eventually the clear bra looks like absolute crap. You can see the line because of dirt and it gets nicked up. Perhaps if you replace it regularly, but I don't know, seems like a pricey proposition.

In this and other detailing threads, it's often mentioned to spend a few $$ and get good quality microfiber towels. Makes sense and I don't mind spending a few extra $$ for that quality but I'm enough of a cynic to think that you can still spend the extra $$ and still get crap. So what makes a microfiber towel/cloth good? Any endorsements out there?

In this and other detailing threads, it's often mentioned to spend a few $$ and get good quality microfiber towels. Makes sense and I don't mind spending a few extra $$ for that quality but I'm enough of a cynic to think that you can still spend the extra $$ and still get crap. So what makes a microfiber towel/cloth good? Any endorsements out there?

The price you pay for avg. ones in Walmart etc is what you pay for good ones online. Now I have 20+ mf towels and best came from meguiars. Others are no name brand I got from Kroger etc.
You can't go wrong with Amazon reviews or see what professional detailer use on YouTube.
My lowest ranked are used to clean wheels and have dirt visible. But I am not OCD about it.

dont bother with wax as protection, maybe if you keep applying it every few weeks. Wax doesn't last long. If PPF isnt an option get ceramic coating. definitely a few layers. That should last you months. Id reapply every 3 months. Its super easy to put on also.

TheRagCompany.com. Great prices and great quality. I’m a satisfied customer

Back