Opinions needed. We are about to purchase one of the 3 cars and CX5 is #1

It sounds like mama thinks the cx5 is just a sexy ride, and you can't blame her for that! I think it is the best looking crossover. I would just strongly recommend the 17" wheels.

I didn't find the 19's that bad with brand new rubber, but now that my tires are around 5/32, the ride is not desirable.

It sounds like mama thinks the cx5 is just a sexy ride, and you can't blame her for that! I think it is the best looking crossover. I would just strongly recommend the 17" wheels.

I didn't find the 19's that bad with brand new rubber, but now that my tires are around 5/32, the ride is not desirable.

Sorry to hear that the 19's ride rougher (?) when worn. I would have preferred 17's or 18's for a smoother ride but really wanted the iActive Sensing. I'll probably get new 17" rims when the OEM Toyo tires wear out.

Speaking of the Sensing, if Mom can handle the Technology, it really does make driving a lot easier for experienced motorists. Don't know how I ever made it without adaptive cruise and blind spot/RCTA. Sensing is my co-pilot!

I suggest that you also look at a 2017 Subaru Forester. Subaru supposedly improved the steering feel and sound isolation in the 2017 model. My daughter just bought one and I did a back to back driving comparison with my wife's 2016 CX-5. I was impressed, there were actually a couple of things I liked better about the Forester, like the seating position and visibility. The CX-5 still has much better driving dynamics, but the Forester driving dynamics were better than I expected. Even the CVT transmission in the Forester was improved from previous versions I have driven.

In summary, if I had to replace the CX-5 today, I wouldn't immediately rule out a Forester. I'm not a fan of Toyota appliances (although they are reliable) and the Rogue I drove was awful (although I have not driven the latest model).

I suggest that you also look at a 2017 Subaru Forester. Subaru supposedly improved the steering feel and sound isolation in the 2017 model. My daughter just bought one and I did a back to back driving comparison with my wife's 2016 CX-5. I was impressed, there were actually a couple of things I liked better about the Forester, like the seating position and visibility. The CX-5 still has much better driving dynamics, but the Forester driving dynamics were better than I expected. Even the CVT transmission in the Forester was improved from previous versions I have driven.

In summary, if I had to replace the CX-5 today, I wouldn't immediately rule out a Forester. I'm not a fan of Toyota appliances (although they are reliable) and the Rogue I drove was awful (although I have not driven the latest model).

She did before the MDX and actually bought one and took it back 3 days later. I also drove that thing and didn't like it. Very loose and unstable on the highway. It wondered a lot. This was a 2013 model which looks to be the same body style as the current. Maybe they fixed that issue now. But now that we live in Abilene, there is no Subaru dealers here or within 100 miles.

If I had to do it again I would compare the drivetrain more closely and definitely compare maintenance costs. The cx5 required a little more than I initialized realized: ie, transmission and fuel system.

I would lean Toyota for a retiree who I assume will not be putting a lot of miles on this vehicle. I have been learning a lot about the detrimental effects of lots of short trips and cold starts with the cx5. The fuel system has a tendency to gum up because of low rpm, short driving that doesn't heat things up enough to burn off deposits, and also doesn't burn off the gas that gets in the engine oil leading to rising oil levels that I have experienced this winter.

At 40k miles, the cx5 is a good vehicle, but a little more high maintenance than I initially thought it'd be.

I find that pretty incredible. Mine just turned 40k miles and is a year older than yours. I also do frequent short trips (I am retired) in weather that I dare say is a touch more severe than KY. I have experienced zero issues with the fuel system; not a one. Perhaps it's the the gas you are using? I've also had zero transmission issues. This vehicle is the lowest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned.

We are going to go look at all 3 of these cars Monday:

2017 RAV4 Limited
2017 Nissan Rogue SL
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT (All options)

My mom has issues with her lower back, and she has been driving an 2013 Altima S model for 3 years. It is paid off. She has degenerative Scoliosis (excuse my spelling). And at her age of 70, there isn't much that can be done to fix it. So we are getting rid of the car which seems to agitate it more than anything as she has to pull her self out of it and it takes her over a minute or so to get out and in the car. She needs a car she mostly just sits in and not have to pull herself out of. So we are looking at higher cars that aren't too big.

She doesn't like vehicles that do not handle well. She needs a car that drives like a car. Not one that feels tipsy, or leans a lot. She had a Lexus RX back in 2001, and hated it because of that. She had a Murano after that and loved it, and it handled fairly well. It was better but still not great. The MDX she had was the best but was too big.

I think the CX-5 is the best car for her because of how well it handles. It may not be as roomy as the other two, but if adults can fit comfortably in the back seat for trips too, I think it will fit the bill.

Because she is retired, and really can't afford a new car payment, I am buying this car for her and using her Altima as a trade in. Probably around $10k worth at 41k miles it has now.

Wanted to see all of your opinions out there compared to these cars. I know you guys will lean more towards the CX-5, so I will be taking that into account as well.

Thanks everyone.

Hold off and get the 2017 CX-5. no sense not waiting and having something updated in most every way that matters.

It's the highest I've owned. I only use Shell gas. Don't believe that's caused any issues, though I understand ethanol does suck. I just chose to spend money to clean the fuel system and swap transmission fluid as preventive maintenance procedures for a few reasons. 1, I plan on owing it for a good while. 2, It was recommended. 3, I'm new to mazda and this car.

I think comparing the cost of ownership between the different CUVs, and maybe resale value, would be a good idea.

*and I wouldn't trade my 19's for nothing, they are so nice looking. A few bumps never hurt me, and I feel more connected to the road compared to riding on fatter tires.

It's the highest I've owned. I only use Shell gas. Don't believe that's caused any issues, though I understand ethanol does suck. I just chose to spend money to clean the fuel system and swap transmission fluid as preventive maintenance procedures for a few reasons. 1, I plan on owing it for a good while. 2, It was recommended. 3, I'm new to mazda and this car.

I think comparing the cost of ownership between the different CUVs, and maybe resale value, would be a good idea.

*and I wouldn't trade my 19's for nothing, they are so nice looking. A few bumps never hurt me, and I feel more connected to the road compared to riding on fatter tires.

Larger rims hurt off road ability. Not really important for a cuv, but...just sayin

We are about to leave to go look at the RAV and Rogue this morning and the Mazda will be right after lunch (last one). :) Thank you all that have helped. I read all your comments to her and she was pleased to hear some of the things you guys mentioned.

I'll let you know the outcome this afternoon/evening.

This can be done when Mom is done with the car.
c0aa841e75b3b4a0ed18c809021662f9.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
An suv with a soft ride which handles fairly well. Good power for its class. Likely class leader in space. I think your mom should get a new CRV.

One suggestion: get something with power lift gate. Think 2016 CX-5 lift gate is pretty heavy to lift up initially.

I came from a Jetta so may be that is why.

Well, we haven't signed papers yet, but all the drives are done. Unfortunately the CX-5 did not get it. How she rated them below and we added one more vehicle to the list as well.

1. 2017 Nissan Rogue SL (all options, safety, etc)
2. 2017 Chevy Equinox Premier
3. 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, iActive/Tech
4. 2017 RAV-4, Limited

The CX-5 was just too rough and just a bit too small It was the perfect height, but she couldn't stand the ride. Also the stereo controls with the knob going to be too difficult for her to get use too. The seats were a bit too small as well in width so it made it not as comfortable. To me, it handled great, but I like sporty cars. She also said the steering was really heavy and she believes it may hurt her shoulder again (rotator cuff injury). Heated seats didn't really feel like they were heating our backs up at all. We did drive one with 17" wheels, it wasn't much better on the ride.

The RAV4 was not very stable on the highway. It wondered a lot. It was also very cheaply built inside. A lot of hard plastics. It rode nice however and had a lot of rear seat room. Heated seats did great in this one. And it was a bit more expensive, even at invoice pricing. It was the highest of the 4.

Equinox, they only had two colors, but she liked the ride a lot. Smooth riding, stable highway. However she didn't want white, and that is all they had except a blue one, and again all the cheap hard plastics everywhere. Too many buttons. Comfortable seats, great heated seats. Not as many safety features as the Mazda, Rogue or Rav4. Price was comparable to the Rogue after discounts. It was her 2nd choice. It was also a bit too big for what she wanted.

Rogue SL. This car was the perfect car. It had very good handling without the punishment of ride. It also has bigger wheels, but they didn't effect how smooth the ride was. It has all the safety features from blind spot, cruise control distance control, auto high beams, emergency braking, rear cross traffic alert, etc. Seats were the most comfortable of the bunch, with great heated seats. Heated steering wheel. Roomy for it's size. Panoramic Sunroof. Rode smooth and stable on the highway which was the biggest concern with how well she got in and out of the car. Perfect height. It was also the cheapest of the 4.

Here is a picture attached of what it looks like, just not the one we are getting. Same color and options.

Thank you all for your assistance with this. It all came to how it drove for her and some of you were right about the ride quality of the CX-5.

i-2vH97PV.jpg

Attachments

• cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg
    cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,244
Opinions needed. We are about to purchase one of the 3 cars and CX5 is #1

⋯ Rogue SL. This car was the perfect car.
Just curious why Mom didn't test drive a 2017 Honda CR-V? I believe CR-V would have been the "perfect" car for her with better reliability record and resale value than Rogue. There's a reason why Honda CR-V has been the best selling compact CUV in the US since 1997.

Just curious why Mom didn't test drive a 2017 Honda CR-V? I believe CR-V would have been the "perfect" car for her with better reliability record and resale value than Rogue. There's a reason why Honda CR-V has been the best selling compact CUV in the US since 1997.

Agreed. But maybe she just didn't like the look of it?

Is it the same as the 2015? I do not find it to be an issue at all.

2016.5. Not a big deal for me but I can feel the weight on the initial pull upward before the hydraulic struts take over. Think older folks will feel it more.

Heated seats didn't really feel like they were heating our backs up at all.
I also don't feel heat on my back either. It heats up the seat bottom really quick though.

Think that Rogue is a nice choice overall.

Last edited:
Back