Good Bye CX-5

jjp735i

:
CX-5
Just wanted to say this is a great board, even though I didn't post much, but I read many threads here. We decided to let the 2016 GT go to a more faithful owner. We both come to decision that the CX-5 was not to our taste. Replaced with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

I'm not going to compare because they are completely different. This is our 3rd Jeep so we know what to expect from it. We gained an extra 3 years and 100,000 miles warranty with the Jeep, we didn't get any extended warranty on the Mazda.

We both wanted more room and something more comfortable on the hwy. Which the Jeep is in every way.

A few deciding factors that lead to this decision were probably, size, infotainment system and comfort. Just felt to small inside. We also liked the wifi hotspot for small trips, which works OK even though it's only 3g and is 9 bucks a day, but we can just get when needed. Helps a lot with the little one in the back and her tablet.

Take care and I'm sure you all will get many miles of enjoyment in your Mazda.

jjp

Nothing wrong with that move. The grand Cherokee is a very nice car, at least from a looks perspective. I know nothing about them besides that lol I'm sure Uno will chime in as he came from a Jeep. Course he did so because the GC was problematic and costly. Hopefully you don't experience the same.

As for the wifi hotspot, why not just use your phone as a hotspot? If you're with any big carrier, even small ones now, they pretty much all include wifi hotspot plus it'll be 4G and I'm willing to bet much more reliable than a cars 3g connectivity.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride!

Nothing wrong with that move. The grand Cherokee is a very nice car, at least from a looks perspective. I know nothing about them besides that lol I'm sure Uno will chime in as he came from a Jeep. Course he did so because the GC was problematic and costly. Hopefully you don't experience the same.

As for the wifi hotspot, why not just use your phone as a hotspot? If you're with any big carrier, even small ones now, they pretty much all include wifi hotspot plus it'll be 4G and I'm willing to bet much more reliable than a cars 3g connectivity.

Anyway, enjoy the new ride!

Yep. Mine was a 2010, and it blows away even the GT CX-5 models from what I hear about their dearth of luxury and shoddy amenities. I loved my Grand Jeep Cherokee, but had a lot of issues out of it. You're warrantied, so rock on and enjoy it! It's a better vehicle in every way except reliability, in my experience.

Yep. Mine was a 2010, and it blows away even the GT CX-5 models from what I hear about their dearth of luxury and shoddy amenities. I loved my Grand Jeep Cherokee, but had a lot of issues out of it. You're warrantied, so rock on and enjoy it! It's a better vehicle in every way except reliability, in my experience.

The JGC is a bit like driving a box truck with an upgraded interior. It feels big; it is big. Steering wheel requires more turning, lots of body roll etc

The JGC is a bit like driving a box truck with an upgraded interior. It feels big; it is big. Steering wheel requires more turning, lots of body roll etc

Mine handled great and was significantly faster than my CX-5. The only thing I did was Bilsteins. The newer JGC's have better suspensions still. Even the new V6 is faster than the CX-5.

Mine handled great and was significantly faster than my CX-5. The only thing I did was Bilsteins. The newer JGC's have better suspensions still. Even the new V6 is faster than the CX-5.

I drove a new one last year for a week and I couldn't wait to get out of it. Having driven box trucks before, I wasn't exaggerating that the feel was more like that. Brakes were better I suppose.

....................We also liked the wifi hotspot for small trips, which works OK even though it's only 3g and is 9 bucks a day, but we can just get when needed. Helps a lot with the little one in the back and her tablet..............

what??? $9/day for 3G service ? $270/month...... you can get 3 connected 4G/LTE phones/iPads for that money.

seriously, that's way too expensive and just a gimmick to tell customers there's wifi in the car

I get free Sprint WIFI hotspot thru my public library, just needed to sign up for it and show my kids need internet for schoolwork....it works in the car too, granted there's like a 1GB limit but still it's free and 4G

also I think all of the major phone carriers sell this type of WIFI router device.... much less than $9 a day.

3-netgear-zing-hotspot.jpg

Last edited:
what??? $9/day for 3G service ? $270/month...... you can get 3 connected 4G/LTE phones/iPads for that money.

seriously, that's way too expensive and just a gimmick to tell customers there's wifi in the car

I get free Sprint WIFI hotspot thru my public library, just needed to sign up for it and show my kids need internet for schoolwork....it works in the car too, granted there's like a 1GB limit but still it's free and 4G

also I think all of the major phone carriers sell this type of WIFI router device.... much less than $9 a day.

3-netgear-zing-hotspot.jpg

I'm not familiar with but to me it seemed like you could buy it daily, vs having to buy a plan. So only when you are on the road trip or something.

Faster, for sure handles "good" i doubt it...
Unless you are comparing to typical domestic vehicles that emphasize big engines and gimmicks (like built in wifi) over handling and practicality..

Last edited:
Trying to tell a Jeep owner their cars are terrible riding, loud, gas guzzlers, poor reliability, poor handling, etch, is a waste of breath... they are lemmings who hate good driving dynamics and only care about the name on the grill.

They don't care about car reviews, or reliability ratings, or safety standards. I know this because they have always been bad cars, year after bankrupt year and yet they still sell well in the US.. Jeep Compass? Wrangler? Renegade? Commander? All the same... terrible vehicles. I have some friends that have them, they know, but they say they like them anyways... at least when they aren't in the shop, which is... a.... lot.

I've owned both. The jeep handled great with bilsteins. More neutral, but a tiny bit less lateral adhesion. The main differences were that the jeep broke all the time, but it was also quiet. Smooth. Solid. It hinted at luxury. The cx5 is a buzzy tin can that doesn't break. A great college kid car, or small family money saver. I much preferred the Jeep, but the repair bills killed it.

Drinking the Jeep kool aid, eh? VW owners are the same way. I was one of them...I kept coming up with excuses on how solid the cars were and how quiet they drove...when they weren't in the shop sucking me dry. :S Thankfully I've come to my senses and bought the CX5. :)

Trying to tell a Jeep owner their cars are terrible riding, loud, gas guzzlers, poor reliability, poor handling, etch, is a waste of breath... they are lemmings who hate good driving dynamics and only care about the name on the grill.

They don't care about car reviews, or reliability ratings, or safety standards. I know this because they have always been bad cars, year after bankrupt year and yet they still sell well in the US.. Jeep Compass? Wrangler? Renegade? Commander? All the same... terrible vehicles. I have some friends that have them, they know, but they say they like them anyways... at least when they aren't in the shop, which is... a.... lot.

I've owned both. The jeep handled great with bilsteins. More neutral, but a tiny bit less lateral adhesion. The main differences were that the jeep broke all the time, but it was also quiet. Smooth. Solid. It hinted at luxury. The cx5 is a buzzy tin can that doesn't break. A great college kid car, or small family money saver. I much preferred the Jeep, but the repair bills killed it.

A fat corvette? What gen lol? 1980s?

A fat corvette? What gen lol? 1980s?

Reminded me of my Z06, 2011, just a lot fatter. It was very neutral even when it broke traction, and it would hold a line very well. Rebound control was phenomenal, as in, much better than my 370Z (with no disclaimers or caveats. It was simply BETTER.), and the brakes were just fine. Not spectacular, but just fine. The vehicle dynamics were superb. Literally the only thing you can bag on is lateral adhesion, and the thing had another inch or two clearance on the CX5, and it still wasn't shabby at all. I don't know what bombed out Jeeps you guys have driven, but an SRT will stomp a mud hole in your CX5 in the twisties, and a "regular Jeep with some bilsteins will probably beat you due to power advantage. I flogged my Grand Jeep Cherokee all through the Ozarks, and I have done the same with my CX-5. The CX-5 is minorly better through the twisties from a handling standpoint alone, but I much prefer the DYNAMICS of the Jeep, and the power offsets any more advantage of the CX-5.

Box truck...lol...that's like saying the CX-5 reminds me of the 28cc motorcycle I had as a 6 year old. I mean, there are similarities I guess...

As far as gas guzzling, well, the HEMI did absorb on average about 5-6mpg more on road trips (18-9 vs. 25-26mpg).

Last edited:

dam Unobtain, after reading your post about the cx5 being a buzzy tin can, well it kind of "set me straight" a little. I am going to the dealer tues to b**** about my 2350rpm buzz. so I guess before I get all lemon law on the service writer, might need to test drive another one. I did drive a sport, or maybe it was a 2015 as I was shopping and there was road noise, but mine is a rithmic cyclical wherr, and peeks at the 2350 range. but dam my scorpion verdes are awesome!! lol (craps, I just jacked this thread, sorry!! lol)

dam Unobtain, after reading your post about the cx5 being a buzzy tin can, well it kind of "set me straight" a little. I am going to the dealer tues to b**** about my 2350rpm buzz. so I guess before I get all lemon law on the service writer, might need to test drive another one. I did drive a sport, or maybe it was a 2015 as I was shopping and there was road noise, but mine is a rithmic cyclical wherr, and peeks at the 2350 range. but dam my scorpion verdes are awesome!! lol (craps, I just jacked this thread, sorry!! lol)

I just find it very loud for an SUV. The whole thing is a "car on stilts, minus literally ANY sound deadening, because...handling...because Mazda..." experience. Which really, is what I needed due to snow, but I hate wagons, so I bought a CUV.

Everyone who has ridden in or driven both my Grand Jeep Cherokee and my CX-5 vastly preferred my Jeep in every way (because they didn't pay the repair bills...)

BUT...OP is talking 5/100 bumper to bumper...so screw it! It's a great buy!

Last edited:

I did not post to start a pissing match on cars. Was just to say thanks. If one thing my dad taught me was to be happy. Jeeps are not terrible riding, loud gas guzzlers as you say. My Renegade is just as quiet as the Mazda and is way more fun to drive. It all boils down to what you like and what makes you happy. I've had no worse experience with Jeeps then other trucks or cars I've owned. And of course everyone always has a friend that owns them. They are both covered under warranty which is way better then Mazda gave me.

Maybe your friends are really saying something, Hey we like out Jeeps, or they would get rid of them if they were that bad.

People keep buying BMW's and they need tons of maintenance after 100,000 miles, but does that deter people. No, they are fantastic cars to drive, I know I've owned 4 BMW's from 3 series to 7 series. Will they cost you to drive, they sure will. Doesn't make them a terrible car, just cost more to own.

I did not post to start a pissing match on cars. Was just to say thanks. If one thing my dad taught me was to be happy. Jeeps are not terrible riding, loud gas guzzlers as you say. My Renegade is just as quiet as the Mazda and is way more fun to drive. It all boils down to what you like and what makes you happy. I've had no worse experience with Jeeps then other trucks or cars I've owned. And of course everyone always has a friend that owns them. They are both covered under warranty which is way better then Mazda gave me.

Maybe your friends are really saying something, Hey we like out Jeeps, or they would get rid of them if they were that bad.

People keep buying BMW's and they need tons of maintenance after 100,000 miles, but does that deter people. No, they are fantastic cars to drive, I know I've owned 4 BMW's from 3 series to 7 series. Will they cost you to drive, they sure will. Doesn't make them a terrible car, just cost more to own.

Nailed it.

Back