2019 Touring vs. Touring GT ... Different Engine Performance

So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
So, I know the Touring and Touring GT have the same engine. However, here's something puzzling. My wife and I test drove both cars (new), each with between 3 and 10 miles on the OD. The Touring engine was rough and loud at cold start up and while driving. The GT purred. Then, we cold started up three other Tourings on the lot ... all were still rough and loud. We also cold started two other GTs and they purred like the first one. I don't know how to explain this. Any thoughts?

They're all rough and loud for the first 15 seconds. It's a fast warmup of the cat converter. You must of got lucky and started one that was previously started.
Once the 15 seconds passes you should just be able to hear the engine, it's very quiet . As far as rough when driving, don't know. Try driving another. I have a 16 Touring and it's smooth as silk.

The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.

The GT I started on the lot had 3 miles on it, and had been sitting there for a while. The one I test drove had 8 miles, and had been sitting on the lot overnight. Both started smoothly, and the one I test drove as well as the other one I had started up had smooth sounding engines. Not so with the 3 Tourings. At first, I thought that the GTs might have some more sound deadening material in them, but the salesperson said they didn't. Anyway, I was all set to buy the Touring w/PP, but when I sat in the GT with the leather and test drove it, I knew I was gonna go for the GT ...we only go around once, and I've never had a car with leather. So, I bought the GT in Deep Crystal Blue and take delivery this Saturday ... as a Honda guy (until they went to that stupid CVT), I'm taking a leap of faith here, but the GT drives so well and is so much fun, the choice appeared to be a no brainer.

Can't go wrong with the GT but there should be no difference in performance between the Touring and GT. Are you sure they didn't give you a turbo to test drive by mistake. If so you would of noticed a big difference.

I too went from Honda/Acura to CX-5 GT and no regrets. But when I took delivery of mine, I thought the cold engine sounded terrible when I was standing outside car with the hood open. The Salesman assured me that was normal and took me to start another one which sounded the same. It sounds fine inside the car, and also after it warms up. But of course not like a Honda V-6, especially when its cold.

I too went from Honda/Acura to CX-5 GT and no regrets. But when I took delivery of mine, I thought the cold engine sounded terrible when I was standing outside car with the hood open. The Salesman assured me that was normal and took me to start another one which sounded the same. It sounds fine inside the car, and also after it warms up. But of course not like a Honda V-6, especially when its cold.

WE dumped our CR-V for the Reserve and never looked back. I've also had an Acura but I'm now full-on Mazda.
16 Touring and 19 Reserve.

Sure its not you finding an excuse to get the GT?
Jokes aside, you should go listen a cold start on a hyundai gdi engine and then you*ll know the Mazda is ok.

Sure its not you finding an excuse to get the GT?
Jokes aside, you should go listen a cold start on a hyundai gdi engine and then you*ll know the Mazda is ok.

My wife and I both confirmed the rough starts on the Tourings vs the smooth starts on the GTs. Regardless, as soon as I sat in the GT and felt the leather, I realized that I didn't want to live with pleather and fake suede. It just felt and looked so much better. So, in the grand scheme of things, the price difference was small enough between the two to justify the GT, particularly if I prorate it over a number of years. Besides, you only go around once, and I decided to treat myself for a change since I've always had cloth seats.

Were they giving you a hard time by the fifth car?

Enjoy your new GT.

My wife drives a Signature model with leather and traded a 2016 Mazda 6 GT with leather. I drive a 2005 Ford F150 with leather. You will find the leather will be hotter in the summer when you first get in. That is the reason the CX_5 has air conditioning. In the winter, it will feel cold when you first get in. That is why the CX_5 has a heater.

I would never buy a vehicle without leather. Just feels good and looks great. You made the right decision...for just a few dollars more per month.

Were they giving you a hard time by the fifth car?

LOL. No, the dealer was really quite accommodating and gave us no pressure at all. In fact, when I asked him which trim level HE would buy, he said the Touring w/PP. Reverse psychology perhaps, but he didn't try overtly to steer us in any particular direction. When he started to talk about add-ons at the desk, I told him I wasn't interested at all, and he didn't try to push any further. All in all, a nice experience, so far. Let's see what happens when I go to pick up the car ... I expect the general manager or the "finance" guy will try to boost profit before I'm out of there.

So, in the grand scheme of things, the price difference was small enough between the two to justify the GT, particularly if I prorate it over a number of years.

I always tell salespeople to leave me on my own...I'm great at up-selling myself.

LOL. Let's see what happens when I go to pick up the car ... I expect the general manager or the "finance" guy will try to boost profit before I'm out of there.

Interesting the turn the sales experience taken.

They moved the hard-sell guy from the front end of the process and put him on the back end after the deal has been closed and you're not gonna walk away.

Interesting the turn the sales experience taken.

They moved the hard-sell guy from the front end of the process and put him on the back end after the deal has been closed and you're not gonna walk away.

I have already told the GM that I don't want to be hassled with the great upsell when I pick up the car. If he starts talking about protecting my "investment," I'll tell him politely that a car is not an investment ... it's a depreciating asset which is likely to lose at least 25% of it's value the minute I drive off the lot.

I have already told the GM that I don't want to be hassled with the great upsell when I pick up the car. If he starts talking about protecting my "investment," I'll tell him politely that a car is not an investment ... it's a depreciating asset which is likely to lose at least 25% of it's value the minute I drive off the lot.

But...but...but...don't you want the guy who sweeps the shop floor to spray some ill-defined crap on your interior for the low, low price of $599.99??????

Back