2017~2024 Mazda Sales.... Not So Good

Mazda is doing right by pushing aside 20 something Scion type buyers and replacing them with 40+ buyers with deeper pockets who won't be skyrocketing their warranty costs like the ricer boys who owned speed3 did. But they might get caught doing it as it is a tough time globally. They have had some success but mostly Hyundai level dealerships will stop them from truly competing with entry Lexus and Acura models.

Mazda is doing right by pushing aside 20 something Scion type buyers and replacing them with 40+ buyers with deeper pockets who won't be skyrocketing their warranty costs like the ricer boys who owned speed3 did.

You say that yet sales are down.

Though I suppose one can point to their atrocious marketing for that. If I had to guess, they are only converting people to that "luxury brand" idea when they actually go in and test drive one. Unfortunately the general populace still sees Mazda as either "Ford used to or still owns them" and as such don't even look. They need to figure out how to reach those people who otherwise don't even consider Mazda due to old, outdated perceptions of the brand, or else also figure out how to get on people's test drive list for those luxury brands.

The commercials I've seen posted here are just....bad.

Last edited:
Mazda is doing right by pushing aside 20 something Scion type buyers and replacing them with 40+ buyers with deeper pockets who won't be skyrocketing their warranty costs like the ricer boys who owned speed3 did. But they might get caught doing it as it is a tough time globally. They have had some success but mostly Hyundai level dealerships will stop them from truly competing with entry Lexus and Acura models.

Watch who you're calling a ricer boy there, sonny, or I'll send my grandsons over from Flower Mound to kick your butt. 8^)

Watch who you're calling a ricer boy there, sonny, or I'll send my grandsons over from Flower Mound to kick your butt. 8^)

Oh I am in FlowerMound now. Please do. I would give them kiss and hugs <3

You say that yet sales are down.

Though I suppose one can point to their atrocious marketing for that. If I had to guess, they are only converting people to that "luxury brand" idea when they actually go in and test drive one. Unfortunately the general populace still sees Mazda as either "Ford used to or still owns them" and as such don't even look. They need to figure out how to reach those people who otherwise don't even consider Mazda due to old, outdated perceptions of the brand, or else also figure out how to get on people's test drive list for those luxury brands.

The commercials I've seen posted here are just....bad.

I*m not sure anyone knows or cares about Ford owning them. My first Mazda was a brand new 1988 RX-7 Turbo, but then I never bought another until my 2016 CX-5. I never knew anything about Ford ever owning them. Why a nearly 30 year gap? It was simply because Mazda didn*t really make anything that I was particularly interested in. For quite a while, the only car people ever associated with Mazda was the RX-7. Once that was gone (and the RX-8 wasn*t really a suitable replacement), there wasn*t much left. Later on, the Miata picked up for those who wanted a small two-seat roadster. Usually only car in their model line stands out in any way, and the rest are mostly forgettable. Now the CX-5 is getting the love, but I think only because it keeps coming up at, or near, the top of its class in *best of* lists on the net and YouTube, which is how many people shop today. Mazda*s minimal advertising doesn*t really figure into it one way or another. Sales are down because they only have one model that*s competitive in the minds of the general populace, and a brand is going to struggle if they have only one car to sell. Advertising is only part of Mazda*s problem, and lousy or minimal advertising certainly doesn*t help. They need to make cars that people want, and right now that doesn*t seem to be happening (except for the CX-5).

Mazda is trying to do what Hyundai did in the 80's and early 90s. It will be a hard road. They like to view themselves as better than Honda, Toyota and Nissan. I personally think they are and find them to be fantastic cars - I own three of them at the moment! But most people don't. They are viewed as what you buy when you can't afford a Honda, Toyota and Nissan. That is their problem.

Mazda is trying to do what Hyundai did in the 80's and early 90s. It will be a hard road. They like to view themselves as better than Honda, Toyota and Nissan. I personally think they are and find them to be fantastic cars - I own three of them at the moment! But most people don't. They are viewed as what you buy when you can't afford a Honda, Toyota and Nissan. That is their problem.

Yeah, that was a much better written version of what I was trying to say.

And dwill, the Ford thing is absolutely a thing. Most people I've talked to still think Ford has something with Mazda and that's a problem because their perception of Ford = "Found on Road Dead".

until they actually see and drive one...they need better marketing, plain and simple

Other than the whole Zoom Zoom effort, I feel like Mazda never really has pushed establishing a clear-cut and defined branding at least in the US. Word of mouth to date has kept sales sufficient for them here, but I really think that they need to step up their advertising and branding game.

I'm on my 5th Mazda since 2001 and it amazes me how many times over the years I've had a friend, acquaintance, coworker, or family member drive with me for the first time and say something like "Oh wow, I never realized how nice Mazdas are/drive/look!". I always felt like appreciating and owning Mazdas was a special club and only certain people in the know were part of that club, but I really don't want to see them go away or get diluted by forced partnerships with another car manufacturer with a potentially dissimilar way of approaching vehicles.

Mazda in my opinion has some general similarities to Subaru in terms of having a very specific personality, but Subaru has multiple promotional campaigns pushing safety, nostalgia (the parent/child driving ads) and humor/cuteness (the dogs). So, Mazda probably should up their game in terms of brand awareness and being a car company that people readily think about.

Of course, that's only good as far as the overall economy and trending of car purchasing might be--but upping one's portion of what might be an even smaller total pie size is still a logical move.

Subaru used to be known as, and was also a subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries. They make far more than vehicles. So they arent really just a stand alone brand.

Therefore their pockets are much deeper than poor Mazdas and can withstand far more market turbulence.

Having said that they probably know their customers far better than most brands. 90+ months of growth is quite impressive.

Vehemently disagree that people know Ford ever owned Mazda. Not to even mention, if that was true, in case you haven't noticed Ford quality isn't the crap it used to be. Found On Road, Dead? Yes... The 90s called and want that slogan back. There would be no shame today in being part of Ford. But again, no way do most people think that.

Vehemently disagree that people know Ford ever owned Mazda. Not to even mention, if that was true, in case you haven't noticed Ford quality isn't the crap it used to be. Found On Road, Dead? Yes... The 90s called and want that slogan back. There would be no shame today in being part of Ford. But again, no way do most people think that.

Agreed. In terms of US cars, the Chrysler Group are the only ones worthy of a consumer red flag.

FWIW I*m pretty convinced Toyota will make a move for Mazda within the next five years, which could be good news.

Well...just saying what I've experienced when chatting with folks about Mazda. Take it or leave it.

I don't disagree with your perception of Ford. Other people I know are not as up to date.

I was looking at their 2018 financial statements. Profit is declining faster than sales.

The financials made mention lots of partnering with Toyota, to include establishing manufacturing facilities in the states, and working together on an electric vehicle. I did not realize there there had been a long history working with Toyota:

Nov. 2012 Agreement is reached with Toyota on Toyota vehicle production at Mazda*s new plant in Mexico
May 2015 Toyota and Mazda enter into an agreement geared toward the establishment of a business partnership
Aug. 2017 Memorandum of understanding with Toyota concerning a business and capital alliance is concluded
Mar. 2018 MTMUS, a joint venture company with Toyota is established

When you search on "Toyota"in their financials, you find 36 instances. I don't know if this is the source of the Toyota Buyout rumor or if it is confirmation of it.

Regarding marketing, the 2018 financials said they are making an investment and "changes" to the U.S. sales chain:

Moreover, we promoted sales network reforms in the United States and other countries to improve customer care and launch new-generation dealerships.

The above is stated a few times as a continued "going forward" effort. I have no idea what "new generation dealerships" are. They were not specific on that point.

Just walked around my office and asked 7 co-workers:
Is Mazda its own company or it is owned by someone else?

4 votes for own company
1 vote for "Volvo or Subaru own Mazda"
2 votes for Ford, one of them being from a former Mazda owner who had one back when Ford DID own a piece.

I stand by that: the gen pop is pretty clueless.

4 votes for own company
2 votes for Ford, one of them being from a former Mazda owner who had one back when Ford DID own a piece.

I agree. I've had several peeps I thought were somewhat car savvy say, "Why did you buy that Ford?"
-These folks may get their wish or be right again soon, it just won't be Ford. Mazda is on the path to be bought out and become a watered down product. One could only hope it's turned into a performance/luxury brand, but anyone buying out Mazda most likely already has both of these.

Most of the CRV owners didn't even bother to drive another competitor's vehicle. "It's a Honda."

Most buy the KIA for the warranty and their advertising of said warranty and cheap payments/leases gets them in the door.

4 votes for own company

More or less what I was getting at.

Subaru used to be known as, and was also a subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries. They make far more than vehicles. So they arent really just a stand alone brand.

Therefore their pockets are much deeper than poor Mazdas and can withstand far more market turbulence.

Having said that they probably know their customers far better than most brands. 90+ months of growth is quite impressive.

Subaru is a smaller company but sells far more vehicles. People buy them because of their AWD system. That's their 'thing'. Went to Portland and Seattle for the first time a few months ago and they are ALL over the place. I rented a Crosstek while I was there and thought it was a pretty nice vehicle, and wasn't as slow as I thought it would be.

What's is Mazda's 'thing'? Budget luxury? Driving dynamics? I just don't think either of those things are going to get consumers to buy their vehicles. People care about reliability, cargo space, pricing, technology and MPG.

They're doing a great job of appealing to enthusiasts but enthusiasts aren't going to help keep them afloat.

(band)
(deadhorse

I think we all know what Mazda needs to do. They need to shift gears with their advertisements to encourage people to make the trip to their closest Mazda dealership (because there aren't that many around).

The Honda commercial with the dad making obnoxious engine sounds while the daughter laughs in the back seat is a good, memorable commercial.

Last edited:
Back