What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I don't trust washing to remove the small particulate that truly harms an engine and/or cuts down on flow rates in a filter year after year when you get it wet, etc. It's also very fast for me to just change out the filter, and I'm more about my time. Oilable filters are the worst, though. My favorites are replaceable synthetics like the Cosworth filters, although I don't think they make them for the CX5.

If the "small particulate" that is stuck on the filter, doesn't get washed off when I wash the filter, wouldn't it still stay stuck on the filter when I put the filter back on the car? It won't all of a sudden be able to go through the filter and into the engine. Anyway, if you wash it correctly, dirt will never get to the clean side of the filter that faces the throttle body.

I agree, time is money. The faster you can change the air filter, the better. In my case, it takes me the same amount of time to remove the AEM filter and replace it with the OEM filter. True, I lose some time, maybe 10 minutes washing the AEM filter, but i'm also saving money since I didn't buy a new OEM filter. I spend some more time again, putting back the clean AEM filter. The question then becomes, is the time spent removing, washing/cleaning and putting back the AEM filter, worth the price of a new OEM filter? The answer is totally relative to how you want to spend your time and money.

By the way, the AEM dry-flow filter doesn't need to be oiled.

Last edited:
What is this "small particulate that truly harms the engine" nonsense? Any particles able to actually get through a filter are not going to harm your engine unless the filter is damaged.
I'm with you on the time thing having just replaced my filter with an oem.
If it actually truly benefitted the engine, like add a foot pound or three I'd use aftermarket but otherwise. Nah.

It's the small silica particles that really damage the engine. The ones that are too small for the oil filter to pick up. You lose a massive amount of filtration ability with something like a K&N to pick up a very tiny amount of power (if any, vehicles vary, this test does show a noted improvement, but not enough for me to give up @40% filtration ability)
https://ac.els-cdn.com/S22120173163...t=1541806776_51d9cb445243aee9d4bd477df18dd0fd

If the "small particulate" that is stuck on the filter, doesn't get washed off when I wash the filter, wouldn't it still stay stuck on the filter when I put the filter back on the car? It won't all of a sudden be able to go through the filter and into the engine. Anyway, if you wash it correctly, dirt will never get to the clean side of the filter that faces the throttle body.

I agree, time is money. The faster you can change the air filter, the better. In my case, it takes me the same amount of time to remove the AEM filter and replace it with the OEM filter. True, I lose some time, maybe 10 minutes washing the AEM filter, but i'm also saving money since I didn't buy a new OEM filter. I spend some more time again, putting back the clean AEM filter. The question then becomes, is the time spent removing, washing/cleaning and putting back the AEM filter, worth the price of a new OEM filter? The answer is totally relative to how you want to spend your time and money.

By the way, the AEM dry-flow filter doesn't need to be oiled.

Yes, it should stay in the filter, but that just clogs it.

How so? I have 275,000 miles on an "oilable" filter, with 365,000 miles on the engine.

Gets all over the MAF wires, etc. Your teggy may just not be as sensitive to that issue as some, or maybe you do a super awesome job re-oiling. I dunno. just not something I want to mess with.

It was yesterday but I put my new snowshoes on- stock 17 size Michelin Xi2s. So far they are very impressive- super quiet, vg in rain (found that out today) and getting way better FE than my old slightly wider and taller Dunlop Wintersports. They don't handle quite as good (expected) and they ride firmer than I thought(fine) but I also expect better snow performance- overall just a better fit for the vehicle and very happy so far. I'll post a more in depth review when I have some miles on them in the W/T section..

Put my snows on today. Plastidipped alloys off a Toyota Highlander. Really like the look with my Eternal Blue Mica.
a90df4df2ecc170c93ec9d33ba404a6d.jpg

Flat tire on Sundays suck. Discount Tires is closed:(

Removed screw from rear driver side tire. Plugged it. Trimmed excess. Put air in tire. Works!!!

Flat tire on Sundays suck. Discount Tires is closed:(

Removed screw from rear driver side tire. Plugged it. Trimmed excess. Put air in tire. Works!!!

If you did a thorough job it'll last until the tire wears out

Snowed yesterday and today. Altimax RT43 tires did fine.

I have been lazy though and been meaning to put my Blizzaks back on, so will do that this week before it snows again on Saturday.

Yeah I've plugged numerous tires over the years and have never had an issue, except for that one puncture on a 205/45 low-profile tire that was within 1 inch of the sidewall. That plug kept failing, but otherwise plugs are perfectly fine for repairing a puncture. Don't care what anyone else says about it.

Added one of those flag carrier hitch mounts and made a house flagpole work with it. Did not fly off at 100 mph :p.

All Team Bash car club event
GIwHWsC.jpg

EmF7Dwb.jpg

8ohrWXj.jpg

Always enjoy shots of your CX-5, Chris!

Picked up a gallon of FL-22. Going to top up tomorrow (when engine is cool).

Back