SavageGeese 2017 review........

When he actually talks about the car yes I agree.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I agree on all his main points
1. Diesel in NA market is pointless
2. Same engine / same drivetrain as past 4 years. So really no need to dive in if you have one. New buyers need to test drive.

What I did not agree was cargo :
Max CX5 dimensions were pretty good compared to Rav4 for e.g. only the height was bad giving the low overall cargo volume, other dimensions like wheel well to wheel well actually beats Rav4 - in 17 the height is even more low which means hauling boxes etc. from Ikea or in general has a more stringent height limitation. Not sure how much. Alex's review will cover this in depth.

I agree on all his main points
1. Diesel in NA market is pointless
2. Same engine / same drivetrain as past 4 years. So really no need to dive in if you have one. New buyers need to test drive.
And you forgot to mention his biggest compliant for interior: why for all these years with attention to details Mazda still doesn't put a 50 cover on the dead pedal? ;)

And you forgot to mention his biggest compliant for interior: why for all these years with attention to details Mazda still doesn't put a 50 cover on the dead pedal? ;)

I thought no CD player was your biggest complaint about interior, window switches were second and maybe dead pedal third.
We critics have to have a secret section on these forums to get our act together.
Otherwise - nice morning hit 32.5 mpg and was going nice zoom zoom - saw a blue shiny Rx-8 - what a beauty.

If one of the biggest gripes about the car is the lack of a dead pedal cover then I'm a VERY happy camper! There could be way more severe fundamental issues. A dead pedal cover is easily rectified either DIY or with liner style mats depending on what floats your boat.

My thoughts are the same re: only the 1 window switch being illuminated. Would it be nice to have them all illuminated? Sure it would... Is it really an issue? Absolutely not

I thought no CD player was your biggest complaint about interior, window switches were second and maybe dead pedal third.
We critics have to have a secret section on these forums to get our act together.
Otherwise - nice morning hit 32.5 mpg and was going nice zoom zoom - saw a blue shiny Rx-8 - what a beauty.
No cover on dead pedal is the biggest complaint on interior from SavageGeese. But that's something you can easily fix it like all the good suggestions in this thread. I intentionally left the factory carpet protection film in the area there and so far it's still hold up well to my surprise.

My biggest complaint for interior is there's no gray color interior, or at least the parchment although I don't like white for maintenance reason, for Sonic Silver like everybody else. The rest is correct in your order like you can almost read my mind!

My biggest disappointment for the the whole 2017 CX-5 now is the DRL setup with the headlights on all the time. I worry the longevity of the single LED element which is used for low-beam、high-beam、and now the always-on DRL which could get overused. Judging by several failure reports here on those DRL accent LED strips on 1st-gen, I believe I have legit concern on this unnecessary DRL setup as replacing the whole LED headlight unit is pretty expensive!

When I started pointing out CX-5 needs the memory seat and rear AC vents in early days, I got flamed badly. Now the 2017 has it, everybody praises the features, although I need to spend extra $1,830 for the memory seat with the rest I don't need. I believe we critics actually have a good intention to make Mazda, especially Mazda North American Operations in charge of US specs, better to offer a CX-5 more people wants. Stay at the bottom of the compact CUV selling list for too long is not a good sign for Mazda!

Good to hear you can get 32.5 mpg from your CX-5. Our CX-5 can never get that kind of gas mileage, not even driving under 70 mph all the way from Houston to Dallas!

RX-8 is really nice looking, but I have no intention owning a rotary engine ⋯ ;)

This guy bugs the s*** out of me.

* He tries to be funny and SO RANDOM like Mr. Regular Car Reviews guy, but he's not funny.
* His mechanic dude has no meaningful insight into modern cars. "ENGINE POINTS THE WRONG WAY" "NOT A V8" etc.
* No sense of joy or humility like someone like Matt Farah. Everything has to be a dramatic metaphor or commentary on the state of cars and the world today.

Production value is good, though!

* He tries to be funny and SO RANDOM like Mr. Regular Car Reviews guy, but he's not funny.
* His mechanic dude has no meaningful insight into modern cars. "ENGINE POINTS THE WRONG WAY" "NOT A V8" etc.
* No sense of joy or humility like someone like Matt Farah. Everything has to be a dramatic metaphor or commentary on the state of cars and the world today.

Production value is good, though!

Good point on the mech. Other than free use of his rack, can't see what he brings to the party. I wouldn't want him working on my new car -- acts dumb as a bag of rocks.

Otherwise - nice morning hit 32.5 mpg and was going nice zoom zoom
wow, nice fuel mileage.
- saw a blue shiny Rx-8 - what a beauty.
all these years later, that car is still a head turner. I've owned mine for 12 years now and it's still a blast to drive.

My biggest disappointment for the the whole 2017 CX-5 now is the DRL setup with the headlights on all the time.
I haven't kept up with that giant DRL thread so forgive the n00b question.
The headlight is on all the time with the DRL's??? That sounds.... uhh.... dumb.
no setting anywhere to fix that?

RX-8 is really nice looking, but I have no intention owning a rotary engine ⋯ ;)
:(
Glad I'm not the only one.
The sound of his voice made me want to throw my laptop across the room.

⋯ I haven't kept up with that giant DRL thread so forgive the n00b question.
The headlight is on all the time with the DRL's??? That sounds.... uhh.... dumb.
no setting anywhere to fix that?
You can turn the entire DRL function off from the setup but then we'd loose the very nice Signature LED accent strips as DRLs on GT. Mazda North American Operations specified this US only DRL setup with headlights on all the time. bigtex bought a kit from Japan and is going to try if it can disable the low-beam headlight as a part of DRL function.

001.jpg

I found the part number for the Japanese "Daylight Kit" B62T V7 790
B62TV7790.JPG

Still not sure exactly what it does and looking for installation instructions. It has an off switch, which is a little strange. Roughly $150 from some Japanese sites.

デイライトキット
LEDポジションランプを常時点灯させます。エンジンONでLEDポジションランプのみが点灯し、
メーターやモニターは減光せず、テールランプも点灯しません。
●25,056(消費税抜23,200[)HQ4A]
● 本体 17,280(消費税抜16,000)B62T V7 790
※OFFスイッチ付

I like that the headlights are on all the time. I wish other people, driving their gray car on alternating shadow/bright 2 lane highway would have theirs on.

I'm not as keen on a headlight assembly that is proprietary and needs to be replaced as a whole, if that is the case.

Dead pedal is fine for me. It's not like I am driving bare footed.

I like that the headlights are on all the time. I wish other people, driving their gray car on alternating shadow/bright 2 lane highway would have theirs on.

I'm not as keen on a headlight assembly that is proprietary and needs to be replaced as a whole, if that is the case.
Although some people may like to keep headlights on all the time, we have to consider other safety issues. For a while low-beam headlights were adopted as DRLs but eventually got phased out due to problems with glare and turn signal masking by full-intensity headlight DRLs. For that reason many countries started limiting DRL's intensity and European Union has even banned headlamp-based DRL systems in 2011. My biggest safety concern is some 2017 CX-5 owners would forget to manually turn on the headlights in the dark if they don't have Auto-Headlight function or don't use the function even if their CX-5 has it.

We've seen the LED Signature LED accent strip DRLs flickering or dimming on 2016 CX-5's. Unfortunately the entire headlight assembly needs to be replaced. If more powerful and hotter LED headlights are on all the time like 2017 CX-5, chances are the longevity of the LED headlight will be questionable.

My biggest safety concern is some 2017 CX-5 owners would forget to manually turn on the headlights in the dark if they don't have Auto-Headlight function or don't use the function even if their CX-5 has it.

Should only be a small number of owners.

That was some melodramatic garbage, and I agree with his dead pedal nit. His attitude is abrasive, to me. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That was some melodramatic garbage, and I agree with his dead pedal nit. His attitude is abrasive, to me. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Perhaps another attention seeker? (wink)

Anyways his points were pretty good.

His review is pretty "honest" but I don't have any problems with Blind spot monitoring that he mentioned. You guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His review is pretty "honest" but I don't have any problems with Blind spot monitoring that he mentioned. You guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could have been as software issue with his car

Back